• Here's a breeder in BC that I know many think highly of…Terray Boomir. Brando, that is on her site is co-owned by Eldorado and Terraust and he lives at my house in Maine! Her dog Nathaniel is my girl Ruby's sire.

http://www.terrarust.com/

Oh, and her site says that she occasionally has older dogs available.

• Wow, Im surprized at the price difference on here…Im getting ready to pay a grand for my puppy. I had to give a 200$ deposit to reserve a spot for the litter and its definatly steep for us but worth it. Our rescue Jack was 4 bucks lol...so this is QUITE a change...but i was under the impression that a grand was very normal for a b...am i wrong? Im in CT

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Just to add another comment about the cost of the puppy, since I've been dealing with this stuff recently - $600, $800, $1000… for a puppy... the difference is really insignificant when you take into account the amount of money spent at the vet over the life of the dog.... I've paid almost $4000 to the vet just this year on one of my dogs who cracked a tooth, got neutered, had an intestinal obstruction, and (just yesterday) got into a fight with a cat.

It's tough on the pocket book, but worth it to make sure they stay healthy. It breaks my heart when a necessary trip to the vet is bypassed for financial reasons that ends up putting the dogs life in real danger. Not that financial worries are not a REAL concern, but I guess what I'm saying is to make sure to take into account that on any given day, you could be at the vet dropping over $1000 for the health of your pet.

Oh, absolutely…just ask my vet if I am his very 'best' customer...I swear I personally financed their new offices 😉

But, in my part of the country..rural (for the most part), blue collar...if people want a nice family dog, they are really unlikely to pay $1000 for one. If they can get a purebred dog for $500 they aren't likely to pay $1000 for one just because the breeder put more money into health care and testing etc. So to remain competitive with BYBs we are forced to charge less, I guess...often less than what the litter cost to put on the ground.

But that doesn't mean that I think people should be persuing purchasing any puppy if they don't have the means to secure adequate vet care, including emergency expenses.

• @Cosmo:

Hey guys,

Really appreciate all the quick replies, I had no idea there was such an active Basenji community and glad I came across these forums!

You've given me a lot to think about and I have also considered getting an older dog but I'm not sure. I actually have looked into rescue options and there really aren't many in my area. I'm definitely not opposed to an older dog, however I don't really want a rescue dog I know nothing about. Also looked into retired dogs and there simply don't seem to be many breeders in my area (bc, canada), at least not on the internet =).

Also wanted to add I absolutely agree 110% that a extra few hundred dollars for the adoption is a drop in the bucket compared to what I will pay during the dogs lifetime and its not about the money to me… I just felt if a breeder is asking significantly more than others its a bit of a red flag.

Going to look into older dogs a bit more now. Again, really appreciate the feedback!

In that case, absolutely on the coasts (at least the West Coast for sure) the going price is about $1000. That is not out of line at all.

• OMG I am NOT even going to tell you what we paid for Mick.

• @Natalplum:

OMG I am NOT even going to tell you what we paid for Mick.

now you have to tell us! lol

• @tanza:

As far as price, I think that the range, depending on the part of the US is 850.00 to 1000.00. Under 850.00 is pretty low, from a responsible breeder, in my opinion.

I am definately underpriced for my area. I just found out today that the mini mill a few hours south of me is charging $1200 for her pups with NO health testing on her dogs! :eek:

• @YodelDogs:

I am definately underpriced for my area. I just found out today that the mini mill a few hours south of me is charging $1200 for her pups with NO health testing on her dogs! :eek:

I know that you were just "making" a joke about mini milll puppies… and the price.... and I have to say... and I have had people really take offense at a price of 950.00.... I decided to stay under the 1000.00 mark because it seems to be a "breaking" point.... but all that said, if the price is an issue... I tell people tell me why you thing it is an issue...

Also I have had a couple of people that inquired about a pup that had a Basenji they recently lost... and it was a case of sticker shock... but then again we are talking about 14 to 17 yrs later.....

• Well I think it's kinda weird for people to expect a purebred pup for so little money… for the amount of cash you put into a litter - all one would need to do is crunch the numbers to understand why. In Europe you are paying upwards of $1500 for a purebred dog, and that's not exactly expensive. Ppl know if they want just a "simple" pup - they go to the SPCA.

• Honestly, I don't think most people know what goes into a responsibly bred litter. This is a problem for 2 reasons. The first is that a person looks at the price not knowing what went into it and has the knee jerk reaction of "That's a lot of money!" The second is that they don't know what questions they should be asking to get the best puppy possible.

A good example of the second is how many people come to this list and say their pup is from "health tested" parents but when an OFA search is done, there is no health testing information for the parents. Buyers need to know what goes into raising a responsibly bred litter so they can make sure they are buying from a responsible breeder.

I have been keeping a running total of my costs in another thread for any interested. Costs will vary litter to litter but it gives an idea.

• I cast another vote for an adult dog, basenjis that are healthy act very young for many years, a 2 year old still has plenty of energy to run and play, but they have passed that wild, chewing puppy stage, and many live to be 16 or older. I don't think I have the energy to take a basenji under 2!

Anne in Tampa

• I prefer adult dogs as well – since I work during the day I wouldn't want to have to worry about the puppy getting into things (they are the cutest creatures in the world however). Adults train fairly easily in my experience.
    The only thing I suggest is to be sure to give your dog attention when you do get home. As soon as I walk in the door after work, I pet and praise my dog, let him outside, put my packages down, then take him for a significant walk (even though I have a good-sized fenced yard) - in that order.

• Thanks for the lead Renault … I emailed Terray @ terrarust but have yet to hear anything back so far. As it turns out someone I know has a 5yr old Basenji from her!

If anyone knows of reputable breeders preferably in BC with upcoming litters or an older dog looking for a home please feel free to send me a PM.

• We have some wonderful quality breeders in Washington state.
    BC isn't that far from us.
    I would be happy to share info re the Evergreen basenji club, if you wish.

• @sharronhurlbut:

We have some wonderful quality breeders in Washington state.
    BC isn't that far from us.
    I would be happy to share info re the Evergreen basenji club, if you wish.

Please do.

Also if anyone has experience with adopting dogs from the other side of the border I'd be interested in hearing your experiences/advice/border need to know stuff.

• The EBC contact info is
    www.evergreenbasenjiclub.org
    You can check out the web site and contact the folks that you think will work for you.
    I am very happy to share the wonderful breed club's info with you.

• Thanks again for the leads but I'm getting kind of discouraged with the lack of responses I'm getting from breeders and I'm curious if this is to be expected.

First breeder - Good phone/email dialogue but she was moving across the country. I asked if she knew any local breeders or perhaps had older dogs (as per advice here) and never heard back from her.

Second - No response

Third - No response.

Fourth - Responded to my email within an hour and we chatted a bit. I asked some typical questions regarding her dogs (as per basenji buyers guide) and she never got back to me (that was two weeks ago).

Fifth - Responded to my email within an hour and had some good dialogue. She asked me to fill out an adoption application and I haven't heard back yet (1 week ago).

I'm just kind of curious as to how long other peoples experiences have been and if this is normal? or from a breeders perspective how many potential dog owners you deal with on a regular basis and have lots of people to consider?

I don't want to get too discouraged but at the same time just not hearing anything is kind of troubling as opposed to yes/no. I think I would be an excellent owner and can provide a stable balanced home to a dog so I'm not sure what it is - can't help but think I've offended someone and word of mouth has spread - maybe I'm just being too impatient and it's all in my head?

• Please e-mail me privately, and I will chat with you.
    brescue@wavecable.com

• If it were me, I would send some follow up emails. I know that I will be chatting via email with people and then all of a sudden no emails. I have found by sending some follow-ups that my emails weren't going through or theirs weren't getting to me. Also, I get lots of email so if I get interupted before I respond to someone, I occasionally lose it in the flood so a follow up is always good.

• And you might just want to pick up the phone and call…. sometimes some people are not that good with emails or emailing responses...
    Personally I try to answer each and every email, regardless if I am planning a litter or not and give them other options or breeders to contact. It gives people the wrong idea about breeders to not do so.... and I always end the email with "if I can be of further assistance"....

I would be concerned if you got no response when you asked questions, breeders should be up front and willing to answer/discuss things like health concerns, breeding plans.. etc....

Not sure when in Canada you are located, are you close to the US border? Or would you want to share the breeders that you have tried to contact?

Suggested Topics