Could you give me your ideas on my dog

• Okay so I finally got a recent picture of Jazz Stacked and would love to know your opinion on her… Well as good as you can with a picture, I know it's hard to tell from a picture...

This is what I see, she's lacking depth in her chest, and she's got very big ears... I was told she's kinda long in the body and face, but it looks like it atleast Balances so it doesn't look funny... Oh and all the white is distracting, it makes her look like she's got a longer neck then she does...

I'd love to know your opinions

UPDATE… HERE'S A FEW MORE PICTURE OF JAZZ

I'm not liking her stacked picture but she wasn't wanting to pose for me, but it's a better look at her front… and the rear picture she's leaning...

• I don't see a picture. By chance do you have her dimensions as well? (height, weight, length)

• The body doesn't look too long to me, and the chest will broaden as the pup ages. As for the white, I have no idea. Medjai has so little white, and doesn't quite fit the standard anyway.

• She looks nice from what I can tell on the picture. She is still young and will probably have quite a bit of changing to do yet. Her neck does look quite long but I think that is because the white comes down to her withers. Basenjis are supposed to have long elegant necks. She looks well balanced, her face doesn't look too long.

This is a pic of my boy Chance. He has a lot of white on his neck and I think it makes him look more elegant.

Is this the side of your dog that the judge will be seeing? What does her other side look like? This is not the side of Chance that the judge sees (although his other side is almost identical). Chance is now almost 3 years old.

• Are you going to show her? I can give my interpretation, but I'm usually brutal, so you may not want to know. But, by the way, I'm harder on my dogs. And, how old is she, that will make a bit of a difference.

• :)All i see is a beautiful Basenji girl, but then i dont show.
    Personaly i like all her white bits, they make her look interesting.

• I'll tell you what my vet told me at least twice: back off on the feeding a bit. I porbably feed my 6-1/2 month girl 1-1/2 cups daily or 1 cup if she's getting alot of training treats. The vet's opinion was that you should see a waist when looking down at them standing. You should also see a slight hint of the last two ribs. I can't quite go with the ribs suggestion, but my puppy is a little less plump around the belly. Other than that your puppy is adorable and with the ears I personally feel the bigger for a Basenji, the better. But your puppy's ears look like she'll grow into them. I like the white making the neck look more elegent. Mine has alot of while too and she disappears in the backyard hedges, true camoflague! That's about the only time she stands still.
    attachment_p_82482_0_kit-pose.jpg

• Here is a picture of one of my girls at about the same age as your girl… you can use to compare... I would say that she is a bit the heavy... also, your right the ears are too big, she may or may not grow into them. And the other direction is the correct show side that the judge will see... and the chest may or may not ever broaden, it depends on the structure of the dog if they will have a good front.

Also you should be able to see a "hint" of ribs, especially when moving if they are in good weight... show weight might be a tad heavier depending on the build of the dog.

On this bitch puppy, she has a good solid top line, good tail set (set well up on her croup), nice hip with a nice shelf (area behind/below the tail), good neck, good head. She is a bit straight both in the shoulder and the rear, but it is equally the same. She would also look better if her front was more under her, as she is a bit "racked" back... and not really standing up on her front

Here is a picture her litter sister at about 1 1/2 yrs old… note that this bitch has a much better shoulder and rear....

• She is lovely, but then, I don't show. Would you like to have some of the EBC club members see her? Give you their opinion?

• First Basenji's

Hi, I was wondering since you seem to have experience in showing B's and know about the standards. My question is regarding the tuffs of hair that are beginning to show just below Buddy's ears and behind the jawline. The hair along the length of his neck grows upward, is this usual? Do the 'tuffs' define an maturing age factor? It is still mid summer here in mid Florida and had started to notice this about a month or so ago. Not sure of his age, about 2 more or less. I like him as he is, just wondering if he was older or if it is significant. I can't really get a picture to upload that shows this, will try. thanks again.

• He may just be getting some undercoat and/or ready to blow coat…. It doesn't really have anything to do with age....

• I'll get a show side shot, as well as a rear and front shot… hopefully that will help you eval her... I did notice when I posted the picture up that her front was off so I'll try to fix that with these next ones, she's still learning so... She was born Dec 18, 2008 so she's about 8 months old now... I don't know her dementions, and don't have a tape measure so I'll have to got buy one...

Oh and nomrbddgs please be brutal... I dont expect her to be perfect, I just like to hear what people's opinion is on her so I can learn what to look for in a dog and what's not good...

I'll post the pictures in a little bit

• The picture that Pat posted above of the 2nd bitch you can see some of what we call 'fill' in front. because the front is where it should be and not set too far forward she has some chest - a front set too far foward will NOT fill in it is a structural flaw. In Africa one would wonder about the function of the front set that far up. Less room for lungs and less correct functionality of the front for reach.

Nice examples you provided Pat

• Have you asked your breeder to give you some constructive criticism of her? That is the place to start.
    Go to the EBC puppy practices… seee how she does.
    She is a puppy, let her grow up and have the breeder look at her when she is a year and then 1.5 years old and see how she is looking then....
    are you planning to show her?

• Kathy I was the lady there at the Bremerton Show… You looked at her pedigree she's out of Dune's Pleistocene Hera, and Moonlight N Amber's Crash Bandicoot... The lady in Alaska... I do plan to show her... When is the EBC Puppy Practice? I'll look on the website to see if I can find information

• Okay then, here's my opinion:
    From what I can see, I like her head structure. I think her muzzle should be a bit shorter though, maybe 1/2 inch. I can't really tell unless you can get a top picture of her head. She has a nice solid topline. I like her tail curl, but I find the tail set a WEE bit low IMO.

She has a lot of white which will throw some things a bit off. Her neck length seems good (maybe a little long), but with the amount of white coming down the shoulder it gives the impression of a longer neck. You should be able to get a nice arch in the neck though.

The white on her upper elbows may give the impression of her throwing them out. Her upper forearm is a little short so she 'may' throw her legs out. (Windmilling) Her brisket is a bit small, but she is a puppy. She needs a chance to fill out a bit more.

It is harder to tell from pictures than seeing in person as you said, she didn't want to pose. I could be totally wrong by what I see in the pictures. So I would take it with a grain of salt and just love her up.

Her ears a large, but she may grow into them somewhat.

She's pretty square and she does have a nice hip and shelf. I can't see how her feet are splayed, but her front nails seem a little long which will give the impression of bad feet as well. Her back feet seem nice and tight, but again, I really can't tell from the pictures given.

Let's go back to her head. I can't really see the wrinkles in the pictures definitively. So I'll tell you what I see. I don't see side wrinkle, which we are losing in the breed. If you take another head shot, use bait or something she's interested in to prick up those ears! (Yeah, I definitely know it's not easy) And brighter lighting.

Overall she presents a nice picture. But again, I do tend to pick things apart and am brutal. She will grow a bit over the next two years and become more solid and fill in more IMO. She is a puppy and they tend to present a different picture now than in a year or two. If you are going to show her, she should do okay. I would tend to move her a bit slower because of the white and the elbows, but I also haven't seen her move either.

Also, please remember, everyone has a picture of what they like to see in a dog/bitch. My taste differs from someone else's. I'm still learning that although some people don't like my one bitch, she's a lot better than what I previously thought. This is really hard, but some people's opinions, especially those close to you, are not always the best ones.

• Houston

As a strickt B lover and owner, I think she is beautiful. I too, like the ears larger rather than too small/

• re: short upper arm - what typically goes with that is something that the dogs WILL NOT GROW UP OR OUT OF - that is the front assembly is too far forward - you will never have decent front fill but a hollowed our or cathedral front - there is WAAAAAAY to much of that in the ring now so if you have that and you see I'm on the judging panel - don't bring it to me please - it makes me very sad.

I would suggest that should anyone get the opportunity to attend a basic canine structure and anatomy workshop - take the time to go - it will help train your eye to look at what's under the skin.

• I have found that my basenji breed club is nice to share what I should watch for when we are sittling ring side.
    They do it in a quiet manner, pointing out good fronts from those that need improvement.
    Its very helpful to see the dogs move and get the clue as to what we should be watching.

• @dmcarty:

re: short upper arm - what typically goes with that is something that the dogs WILL NOT GROW UP OR OUT OF - that is the front assembly is too far forward - you will never have decent front fill but a hollowed our or cathedral front - there is WAAAAAAY to much of that in the ring now so if you have that and you see I'm on the judging panel - don't bring it to me please - it makes me very sad.

I would suggest that should anyone get the opportunity to attend a basic canine structure and anatomy workshop - take the time to go - it will help train your eye to look at what's under the skin.

I agree…. and straight shoulders... way to much of that in the breed too...

And you might want to get the book The Basenji Stacked and Moving by Robert Cole. Another good thing is to get the DVD's from the Nationals and look at the dogs showing from puppies to Veterans....

Suggested Topics