• Well he was having accidents as well on the rug, but now that he has adjusted to our schedule that has been greatly reduced.

I'm sure he will stop sooner or later.

• You can put peppermint oil or tea tree oil on the molding to discourage chewing. That always worked way better than a bitter spray…the oils I mentioned assault the nose and therefore generally dont even make it into the mouth. And since it's molding it wouldn't be ruined by the oils either. Inexpensive and often a solution until he just stops trying

• Many congratulations - he is a very handsome boy.

• @Chealsie508:

You can put peppermint oil or tea tree oil on the molding to discourage chewing. That always worked way better than a bitter spray…the oils I mentioned assault the nose and therefore generally dont even make it into the mouth. And since it's molding it wouldn't be ruined by the oils either. Inexpensive and often a solution until he just stops trying

Tea tree oil is toxic to cats, so if you have cats, you may want to avoid that. But it is powerful stuff for those of us without cats!

• Vicks Vapo-Rub is another good one. They really hate the smell. Have you tried a Kong stuffed with peanut butter and kibble and then frozen?

• Tea tree oil is not just toxic to cats:

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/
    Tea Tree Oil
    Poisonous to: Cats, Dogs

Level of toxicity: Generally moderate to severe, life-threatening

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-poison-control/tea-tree-oil.aspx
    Tea tree, or Melaleuca alternifolia oil, does have toxic potential, depending on the circumstances of exposure.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-dangers-of-tea-tree-oil-for-dogs.htm#
    According to some veterinarians and animal experts, tea tree oil may be toxic for dogs when its ingested or absorbed through the skin. It is also suspected that using tea tree oil for dogs may also cause liver damage. Accidental ingestion of tea tree oil may cause gastrointestinal symptoms in dogs as well. Additionally, there have been reports of dogs suffering from neurological damage from the use of this oil.

This place prescribes it, but says not to apply where animal can lick/ingest. You find that part on your basenji, let me know since if they can get their paws to it, they can still rub and lick it off:
    http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tea-tree-oil/578
    Like other essential oils, tea tree oil can be toxic if ingested. Since the maximum safe dosage has not been determined, most doctors recommend using it topically, and then only in dilute form. Tea tree oil is so potent in its antimicrobial effects that even a 1:250 dilution appears to be effective and yet quite safe for use as an ear wash. Tea tree concentrations in anti-fungal shampoos for dogs and cats are often even lower. Never apply tea tree oil directly to the skin without diluting it. NEVER APPLY IT to areas that the animal can lick. Safety in young children, pregnant or nursing women, or those with severe liver or kidney disease has not been established. Use with caution in similar situations in pets.

http://www.beaverlakeah.com/site/view/63679_TeaTreeOil.pml
    According to National Animal Poison Control Center, the use of tea tree oil in dogs has been associated with hypothermia, muscle weakness, ataxia, tremors, altered behavior, paralysis. Cats are also sensitive to the tea tree oil compounds. A case report has been published in which three cats had clinical signs and one cat died after being treated with the oil.

• I really admired with the story you have shared to us and having a dog like what you have is really a blessing. Congratulations and I am looking forward to see puppies from him and I know you will take care of him with all your love.

• First Basenji's

Yeah, congratulations! Soooo happy to hear that he is doing so well. My boy was in a crate his first 10mos of his life almost all day as well. When we first brought him home, I did the strict house routine etc for doggie intros etc. but he ended up doing VERY well with the freedom instead. Like you and eeeefarm found out, the freedom allowed him to know that the whole house was his, so the accidents will disappear for you. Funny, how they do not counter surfing etc; the occasional (to this day) paper shred, but who can blame them, sounds good to crinkle! Like they appreciate you having them in the house as a family member! Good Luck indeed!!!! he is a cutie, you should pat your self on the back and consider yourself blessed!!!

PS I just read page 2 of the post. Do you have two dogs? I found in the beginning 18 month or so ago, Uzie did have separation anxiety until he was bonded with Candi the hound girl I have. The anxiety still shows up, but has diminished to almost nothing. It is a hard scenario to manage though. Can you at least room him in an area where he can't chew on the molding anywhere? Then you'd place many non-ingestable toys in there. Try not feeding him before you leave and hide his kibble in the corners of a room and under things so he has to stay busy finding it all. You would start this on the days/times you will be home with him. Leave out of sight for a few seconds, return, leave for a longer time, return…... The tea tree is no good, and if you had to put something on the corners, try allum. It is non toxic and is found in the seasoning section of the grocery. You make a loose paste and it tastes very bitter, it is used in canning. It is messy yes, and you obviously can't go around the house on all the molding. Can you exercise him before you leave? Are your departures every day at the same time? For long periods? A sitter or day care can be the answer, you certainly don't want to crate him....there is not an easy answer or solution and nothing instant either. Hope it does not last at the extreme extent you describe.....:(

• Looking handsome and cool. I appreciate your choice. Where did you get this dog and what is the name of your dog?

• First Basenji's

I'm new here too! Just wanted to say you have a beautiful dog!

Suggested Topics