• Where is that lake? It's hot here today, Buddy and I want to go there.He's a water dog too.

• Hi Buddy & Dan,

It is Horseshoe Lake at Mammoth Lakes, California. This is a very popular "dog lake" and I guess Loki & Freya have seen all the other dogs go into the water and figured that it was not such a big deal.

The ocean is another story all together though! They are not keen on being overrun by waves!

• That is a beautiful place, and your dogs look so happy to be playing in the water on a hot summer day.

• @Loki_Freya:

Hi Buddy & Dan,

It is Horseshoe Lake at Mammoth Lakes, California. This is a very popular "dog lake" and I guess Loki & Freya have seen all the other dogs go into the water and figured that it was not such a big deal.

The ocean is another story all together though! They are not keen on being overrun by waves!

OK, I've been to Mammoth Lakes in 1977 when I had my first Basenji. She'd go swimming once in a while.
    Did you go see Devil's Postpile? It is so weird!
    Buddy will actually go in the ocean if another dog is running in after a ball or something. A few months ago I took him to the beach for the first time and he chased this Lab right in, didn't even hesitate, came out and shook and was ready to play.

• Let's just say Freya did NOT get the water loving from her Momma Hay!!
    Perhaps Mickey-the-Mole-Man was where it all came from!!
    Though I don't see sissy Lilli would ever be caught DEAD in that acid-like liquid you call water!! :eek:

• Great pics!! They sure are having fun!!

Tillo fell in the water 2 days ago.. ggg.. He didn't look that happy 😃

• Love the pics, Loki and Freya look as if they are having great fun.
    Love the names too, we may call our new pup Freya when we get her and i once nearly called another of my Dogs Loki. They are god and goddess names aren't they?

• First Basenji's

Awesome pics! They look like they are having so much fun!

• I lived in Mammoth Lakes for ten years, so I am very familiar with Devil's Postpile - it is fortunate that I love hiking, as we all know that a tired B is a good B!

Loki has always been pretty confident around water - he likes to chase other dogs, and he will follow (at least part way) when they run into the water.

But when I got Freya two years ago, she behaved like the Wicked Witch of the West - she would go to extreme lengths to avoid having water touch any body part beside her tongue. When crossing streams on our hikes, she would spend a long time determining the optimal crossing point, picking out rocks to step on. But then one day, there was a critter that needed a good chasing, so she threw caution to the wind! After surviving that experience, she has been much more relaxed when it comes to the wet stuff…

I am Danish, so they have names from the Norse Mythology:
    Loki = Norse God of Mischief
    Freya = Norse Goddess of Love

And they live up to them!

🙂
    Loki & Freya's Mom

• I loved Mammoth Lakes! My B/W Nika was like that. Always looking for the spot to jump over the water. Did not like walking on wet grass. She'd tolerate a bath now and then as long as the water was nice and warm.

Suggested Topics