• Barney is still doing okay, but if anyone has had their pets euthanized at home, can you please let me know what you did to make it special for them? I know that right when they pass they can let loose pee or pooh. We had that happen with our beautiful Miss Mew 12 years ago. I just want the experience to be a calm one for him. And I guess for me too.

    Thanks everyone.

  • I'm pleased Barney is doing ok and think you are totaly right to opt for the vet to come to you.
    Other than to say idealy Barney should have his people around him and that they should try to be calm and reassuring i can't add anything.
    Our last Basenji was pts at home and i'm afraid i was totaly unable to deal with it , my husband stayed with him.

  • I have always gone to the vet's clinic, but if at home, I would try and keep things as calm and normal as possible. Give favorite things if he is still able to eat, if you have to puree steak or fish and let him lick it, assuming he still has interest in food.
    If not, just lots of cuddles, maybe wrap a think towel or blanket if he might empty bladder or bowels, use that to cuddle him, and if you can, be there with him. If you cannot, then you vet will be sure it all goes smoothly anyway.
    Each dog I have taken was calm and seemed to know what was going on, even those who usually fought a blood-draw just held out an arm and let the doc find the vein, gave a sigh and were gone.

    Fran, just make a spot, maybe in the sun, or one of Barney's favorite places, and protect it with a towel or blanket, the vet will know what to do and will guide you.

    I'm so sorry you and Barney are going down this road, I so wish it had just been an abscessed tooth!

  • My old dear girl hated the vets, so when her time came, I had the vet give me a strong setative and she had it in her last meal, then we went for a car ride, with her on my lap.
    Lou drove, us both crying.
    By the time we were at the vet, she was asleep and just passed over. So, it was very easy for her. I recommend this for anyone with a dog who isn't vet happy.

  • My vet used to argue and roll her eyes because I INSIST they give a strong sedative FIRST. She said not necessary. Bull.

    I have not only known of dogs jerking and pulling the needle out, but then panicking as the medicine made them feel strange but not do the job. I want them to go to sleep totally in my arms. THEN use the drug to euthanize. I also know that human studies show the brain can be aware even after the heart stops for up to 3 mins. I want to know absolutely that my pet's last moments are calm and peaceful.

    Last summer had my Chow put down, cancer. She had bled out some so her veins hard to find. They couldn't even get the tranq in so did it IM. Took longer but then she was totally unconscious while they dug for a vein. She shaved and tried in 3 legs about 6 times when I finally made the vet (she was new… one vet was undergoing surgery for returned breast cancer and my usual vet on vacation) call my poor vacationing vet and ask which organ to inject into (I told her liver and my vet agreed). The poor new vet, was her first week on the job... then left alone due to the cancer found with older vet. Both the vet tech and I were basically comforting her, she was so traumatized. If I didn't have Katana totally out of it, they would have been scraping me and the vet off the ceiling. But knowing she knew nothing, it was okay.

    Anyway, my point is... please, make them tranquilize first. Then whatever happens, your beloved pet's last memory is the same as Katana's... of being held by the person she loved. Accidents and issues can arise, but if you have the cat totally out of it with premedication, then it will be okay.

  • Sharron and Debra, thanks for the comments about tranquilizing first. That sounds like a very kind thing to do. I will let our vet, who is superb, know that I want something like that done a little ahead of time. Well, I actually have Morphine here (that is given orally). I wonder if that could make Barney extremely peaceful prior to the actual euthanasia.

  • Morphine in higher doses can cause nausea in dogs, so looked, same for cats. I'd ask for valium or something.


    Adverse effects associated with morphine include nausea, vomiting, slowed intestinal movement, constipation, restlessness, low blood pressure, slowed heart rate, slowed breathing, behavior changes and seizures.

    The most profound adverse effects associated with morphine are suppression of breathing and sedation.

    The use of morphine in cats is controversial. It can be associated with increased body temperature and nervous system excitement.

  • i took my maya to the vet on a beautiful sunny day the procedure was done outside on a blanket, i didnt wait until she was in terrible shape, so she was able to walk and sniff and smell and enjoy herself on the lawn before the procedure was done

    i was told that the procedure could be done in one of two ways sedative first or no sedative
    i was told that a sedative could make her vomit which i didnt want

    the vet recommended no sedative so i chose to go without

    Huge mistake

    what should have been a peaceful death was anything but

  • When we made the decision to let Curie go, we were in an animal hospital at the time and neither of us really knew that home euthanasia was an option. The doctor didn't suggest doing it without sedation, so we didn't have to make that call.

    He gave her the sedation and let us stay with her for a few minutes, sleeping in our laps, listening to her breathe. Then he gave her the second shot. We had her wrapped in hospital towels, so I don't know about voiding her bladder or anything. We stayed holding her in the towels for a long time. I think the sedation allowed it to be as peaceful as such situations can be.

  • I don't know what type of pill it was we gave my old girl. But it was something I will always ask for when I am going to give my animals peace.
    There are so many new things on the market to help animals in pain.
    Fran, I would talk to your vet and find out what they suggest.
    Making this an easy passing is the last loving gift we can give our beloved animals, IMO.

  • Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pass on using the morphine and ask our vet for a pill tranquilizer instead. Being the people they are, I know they will not have a problem with it.

    Barney is having a good day today, but I think his ability to eat comfortably is becoming a problem. Part of the tumour is in his right upper jaw and is growing downwards towards his bottom teeth.

    We will see how he does this weekend, but I think that late next week or early in the week after that might be the time.

  • I would always recommend euthanasia at home. I have my vet come out and I always insist on a pre-med as then they are totally relaxed. Let Barney have as many pleasurable experiences as possible but just treat it as a normal day. If he is a cuddle-puss have him in your arms or on your lap otherwise in his favourite sleeping place.

    I feel so much for you but it wouldn't be kind to let him suffer.

  • Right now, Barney is doing not too bad. He is eating a little less than normal, and is not eating on the right side of his mouth. I am using Morphine for pain control every 8 hours. He doesn't get enough to be spaced out. Poops and pees are still all normal.

    But I do watch him very closely, especially the growth rate of the tumour, both what is visible outside and also what I see inside his mouth.

  • @Kipawa:

    Right now, Barney is doing not too bad. He is eating a little less than normal, and is not eating on the right side of his mouth. I am using Morphine for pain control every 8 hours. He doesn't get enough to be spaced out. Poops and pees are still all normal.

    But I do watch him very closely, especially the growth rate of the tumour, both what is visible outside and also what I see inside his mouth.

    Sounds like you are doing all the right things… as they say, you will know when it is the right time... it is never easy... to let them go... but as they "fly" over to the Rainbow bridge, they will have many friends to give them a helping paw

  • My heart goes out to you and I pray for the best for both of you. As been said on here all ready never easy but know you have been loved by one great baby an you gave love back.
    As for morphine I would ask my vet. I know people are not same but my grandmother lived with us on hospic and on 2 Sept we lost her from Sunday before until day she left us they gave her morphine and sometime a little more and times more often stops pain and they just kind of go into their own world.
    Do not worry about mess just wrap up your baby and hold them close.

    Rita Jean

  • We had a home Eutanazia for my stabyhound Spranky, because he was at home he was calm and easygoing.
    He was really tired of his disease but the vet tranquilized him just for sure and to be sure it wasn't painfull or uncomfortable.
    He was resting at his own place at the living room and we sat next to him on the couch.
    When the vet was there, I was holding his head (Spranky was a big dog) I was petting him and told him how much I care about him… he went away very peacefully in my arms
    We didn't want it to be overcrowded or stressfull so my familymembers and Kas stayed at the couch.

    When I worked at the vet, we had some people that didn't want to stay.
    I can understand it is very difficult to see you friend pass away but I woulnd recommend it to anyone..
    It's stressfull for the animal because their family is leaving, they have been with us all those years and when it's ending.. we have to be with them I think.
    When we had such a euthanazia, one of us would put out our working clothes and tryed to give the love and peace they deserve..

  • Houston

    oh, so sorry to hear about Barney, I have never done HE, didn't even know it was an option..sure would've used it a year ago when both of our dogs went across the bridge a month apart.

    Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers..

  • In Oct. I had to put down my 12 year old basenji Tanner. Knowing how sick he was, the lousy mental state I was in due to the thought of losing my little guy, and the fact that he hated the vet, I elected to put him down at home. Let me tell you, there is no better way to handle this. I placed my other basenji in the back room when the vet came.

    I picked tanner up, held him in my arms whilee the vet gave him a sedative to relax him. then several minutes later, he gave him the fatal dose. the vet had a large blamket that he had laid on the floor and after he said he had passed, I laid him on the blanket. I gave him one last kiss goodbye and we wrapped him the blanket and the vet took him away to be cremated. Three days later I got a special delivery of my sweetie in a beautiful wooden box.

    Having done this before with my last pet, I knew this was the only way to go. I have recommended it to some of my friends and they say the experience was much more consoling than carting a sick dog to the vet one last time. The "clinical-ness" of the vet is not the last memory that I want nor do i want my little furfaces to have.

    Hope this helps..

  • You know, our vet knew exactly what to do. Barney did get the first shot. I held him, was kissing him and played a little song for him. I took a deep breath in and smelled him, because he always had this incredible caramel smell in his fur. I could tell he was very relaxed and had not an ounce of fear in him. A minute or so of kisses and hugs, and then the final shot which did what it needed to do so quickly. Thank god there are such humane ways to send our beloved pets to their final resting place.

  • We did this last year with Mojo, our beloved Catahoula. Mojo had cancer near the end of his "poop canal". We waited and let him have his good days and some bad days. He still loved to walk slowly and enjoyed his food. But in the end the bad days overcame the good days.

    We decided to have our vet come to the house, on Valentines Day no less. We had Mojo on an old moving blanket. He went peacefully with both of us near. The heavy blanket was a good idea as we had to carry him (around 90 pounds) to the vet's car. Awfully emotional but we were glad we did it this way. I think its better for the dog and its easier not being in the middle of a busy vet office at the end when you are emotionally wrecked.


Suggested Topics