Are Basenji's really destructive?

• When we were first considering getting a Basenji, my husband talked to a few people who told him he was insane for even thinking about it because they would tear up the leather furniture, etc. He was really concerned about these awful creatures – but then he somehow made contact with Sharron Hurlbut {still don't know how he found her} and she managed to calm his nerves.
    We have had minimal damage to anything that matters -- when Keoki was very young he did chew on the rungs of a dining chair; left teeth marks that I was able to sand down and eventually we'll refinish them. We have lost a flip-flop or two, some shoe laces, a couple of pens, one stuffed Santa..... nothing really important. And neither has even attempted to damage the leather furniture.

• I second the leather furniture… I have had leather for over 10 yrs know, 5 adult B's and raised two litters... there has not been on that bother the leather... that said, I do put a throw on the couch for when they "nest"... but no one, not even the puppies ever chewed or tried to chew the leather....

As JazzysMom notes... table legs or chair rungs were pretty much fair game if you didn't watch them... but that was during teething....

• First Basenji's

My basenji, will be destructive when he gets frustrated. We maintain the wolf pack postion while with him, He has is own room for when we leave and we designate "paper ripping time" We asked for advice on how to stop the behavior and many owners said learn to love around it. We are learning and the special paper ripping time helps him enjoy what he loves and keeps the mess confined.

• @Lovelace:

My basenji, will be destructive when he gets frustrated. We maintain the wolf pack postion while with him, He has is own room for when we leave and we designate "paper ripping time" We asked for advice on how to stop the behavior and many owners said learn to love around it. We are learning and the special paper ripping time helps him enjoy what he loves and keeps the mess confined.

Sounds about right. When I crate my B, he will get very destructive. If I put a towel in there with him it will be shredded within minutes.

With that said, he's rarely crated unless I'm using a carpet extractor or if he got into something. But since he's crate phobic, the frustration turns into destruction. I have to put the wire crate on my tiled floors with no plastic pan, otherwise he will chew the plastic pan and/or dig into the carpeting like he's trying to get to China. He digs at the tiled floor but it does not even concern me. Unless his nails are diamond tipped, he can't damage the granite. 😃

I have learned my lesson. 😉

• Any dog can be destructive no matter what breed. The larger the more damage they can do.

• Basenjis vary, but i would say that those that do chew, really chew and continue to do so throughout their lives. I have always had both varieties (chewers and non-chewers) My Bungwa is definitely a non-chewer but he is a jumper and climber and will fetch things down for Spring and Gbala to chew!!.

I know several people with Basenjis who have leather sofas and their Basenjis don't chew them (although they scratch sometimes) - I have always thought about getting leather but don't quite have the confidence to take the chance!!!! Spring and Gbala's (my worst chewers) sofa is down to the springs - all the stuffing removed and I pad it out with vetbed.
    The output from the other end is very pretty though, so that's a plus!! Ha ha!! - before I clear the garden looks from a distance as though full of multicoloured flowers!

Don't let the fact that they might be chewers put you off though because then again they might not!

I once had a prospective puppy buyer laughingly tell me how her previous Basenji ate her Prada shoes - I knew then that she'd be an ideal Basenji owner!

• My Bungwa is definitely a non-chewer but he is a jumper and climber and will fetch things down for Spring and Gbala to chew!!

Sounds like my B. He likes to climb and jump on furniture when i'm not looking. Then he finds something he knows he shouldn't have and brings it to my boyfriend's Boston terrior/bulldog mix for her to destroy. Then he comes and paws at me to get my attention and to let me know she is destroying something. Almost seems like he tries to get her in trouble then rats her out for it. :rolleyes:

• Houston

Charlie, that makes me happy to hear. Don't hesitate for a minute to get a B because of their "destructivness". I have had several dogs (different breeds) and they have all (except on of our dogs) been very destructive…when they got bored. I think that is the key..if a B or any dog for that matter gets bored, all hell witll definitely break loose. our Westie actually went through a whole couch as a threemonth old puppy...he was mighty happy, that same dog went through the trash and got a flat (24count) of eggs, he totally demolished the shells and they basically got shelact onto him in the process, again a very happy dog. Our Dachshund will not let any toy, pillow or the like go unstuffed, that would be unnatural for him...unfortunatley he also tries to unstuff our live chickens so he has effectively killed two within th0 elast month and a half...again very happy dog. The only thing our B has done so far...unroll a toilet paper roll. Now I have only had him for a month so I realize many more things are to come...but let me tell you, bring it on..it sure doesn't make me scared or want to shy away from this lovely breed.
    Any breed will be destructive if you "let" them, B's might tend to be more determined about their destruction, I don't know. But I have had like I said severela different breeds, all have seemed to be the more stubborned variety...I ain't scared.

• If you got love in your heart that's all you need to worry about. The love you get back from your B will take care of all the rest. Get your B and enjoy have some fun.

Rita Jean

• Your Shar Pei are gorgeous.
    Basenjis are a wonderfull breed and like has all ready been said a lot depends on the individual Dog.
    I think most Basenjis have a thing for plastic, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    Benji certainly couldn't resist plastic items and used to root through handbags to extract combs, glasses and pens, he would then run off and chew them up if not caught. We once heard him chewing behind the chair and when we investigated found him just starting on my mother in laws false teeth.
    He was a royal pain sometimes but i know i will have another someday.l

• @thunderbird8588:

Your Shar Pei are gorgeous.
    Basenjis are a wonderfull breed and like has all ready been said a lot depends on the individual Dog.
    I think most Basenjis have a thing for plastic, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    Benji certainly couldn't resist plastic items and used to root through handbags to extract combs, glasses and pens, he would then run off and chew them up if not caught. We once heard him chewing behind the chair and when we investigated found him just starting on my mother in laws false teeth.

PAPER, especially on rolls is another favorite (paper towel, potty paper rolls, tissues)… but your right, plastic is another favorite... as is "rooting" through purses... ggg... I tell visitors unless they have nothing of value in their purse.. I don't suggest you put it on the floor!

• I was very fortunate with my last 2. Ringo and Nika were loose in the house all their lives with just the dog door. Never used a crate. I was gone sometimes for 12-14 hours, sometimes days with my neighbor stopping over to feed them. They really didn't do anything to speak of. Only when Nika was young she tore the chair cushsion a little.

• @tanza:

PAPER, especially on rolls is another favorite (paper towel, potty paper rolls, tissues)… but your right, plastic is another favorite... as is "rooting" through purses... ggg... I tell visitors unless they have nothing of value in their purse.. I don't suggest you put it on the floor!

This is something that I have NOT been able to retrain in my MOM!!! She comes in and sets all her various bags on the couch! Next to a dog! And then gets irritated when the dog snoots through her bag!! It's been ten years, Ma….they are always going to go through your bag!

• Houston

@thunderbird8588:

We once heard him chewing behind the chair and when we investigated found him just starting on my mother in laws false teeth.

I almost peed on myself when I read that…I would've died if my dog was caught doing that...too funny

• @Basenjimamma:

, B's might tend to be more determined about their destruction,

Yes, I agree! My female just loves to push everything to the limit - and sometimes beyond!

• @Quercus:

This is something that I have NOT been able to retrain in my MOM!!! She comes in and sets all her various bags on the couch! Next to a dog! And then gets irritated when the dog snoots through her bag!! It's been ten years, Ma….they are always going to go through your bag!

As they say, some dogs you can't teach new tricks…gggg

• @thunderbird8588:

Your Shar Pei are gorgeous.

Thank you, I love my Pei-bys they are the easiest dogs in the world to live with. Apart from if they see a 'c..a..t' on a walk then they to are also royal pains and they have a thing for toilet paper, amont of times I have come home and thought…has it snowed inside my living room? But ya gotta love em 🙂

Benji eating the false teeth makes me laugh, what a thing to chew. I am picturing him with them perfectly placed in his mouth with a grin on his face! lol

• I definitely agree with Basenjimamma that destructiveness or not shouldn't put you off the breed. As she says all breeds may chew if bored and I would never recommend getting any dog if you aren't prepared to devote a lot of time to their interests so that boredom doesn't set in.

As I said some Basenjis do and some don't whether bored or not - you can never tell and so why worry? A friend has had many Basenjis over several years and never had items chewed!! Another has never had a Basenji who does not chew and she devotes all her energies into exercising, training (in obedience and agility), playing etc. so I'm sure that none of them have been bored. Then again as has been said, this could apply to several breeds.

• @dmcarty:

ok well let me tell you what can happen during bunny or squirrel watching - sometimes the basenji just HAS to get at it - they are very focused on their prey and purpose - different than Sharpei's. I have one old guy that I just put down and his first family gave me pics of what was left of the couch that he ate all the stuffing out of. I know someone else who had a hole dug through her carpet and into the wood subfloor because the dog had to get out of behind the door. through screens, and my personal favorite was my own foundation bitch who was as sweet as could be - but she loved to chew the top edges of kids jackets - one year I replaced 14 neighborhood jackets. 😞

It is not a myth and it so depends on the dog - and what they see and how strong their prey drive is. I think walking for a long time is a good idea - not sure 45 min is enough for a B. You need to be adaptable and I think until you are certain that all will get along and that the B won't eat your couch - crate training is a very good idea.

We have to keep our blinds closed upstairs as our bed is under the window so she can see dogs walk by. She goes nuts and was ripping the sheets up and even a hole in the mattress. We keep the blinds shut, but sometimes she still does it.

All dogs can be destructive though. A bored dog is a destructive one no matter what breed.

Our dogs are purposely destructive and it's usually when we are home to get attention.

• @Kananga:

He's too lazy to be destructive. Especially after 10 miles of walking this memorial day weekend. 😃
    [G]

Great picture of Kananga - 10 miles of walking? The dog might be tired, but they'd be burying me! No wonder he's a good dog. I'm jealous.:D

Suggested Topics