• What does someone mean when they say "that dog has nice bone"? I was told Zoni had "nice bone" before and I heard that about another puppy today but didn't have a chance to ask what they meant.

Thanks! šŸ˜ƒ

Clay

• I'd assume they're talking about Zoni's bone structure & proportions?

• That was my first guess but I figured it was something more specific.

• Usually when someone says that a dog has "good bone" they are saying that its bone looks substantial not fragile like a whippet or IG.

• Not trying to say dogs are like livestock lol but when judging goats or cattle we usually refer to the animals bone to its structural correctness. Also on younger animals we like to see a bigger bone circumference to determine the growth potential of the animal. (Kinda like paws on dogs?)

• @lvoss:

Usually when someone says that a dog has "good bone" they are saying that its bone looks substantial not fragile like a whippet or IG.

You can tell "bone" to some extent by looking, as Lisa said, the bone should not look fragile or whispy. Also, it is really evident if you pick up two dogs, one with "good" bone, and one with "less" boneā€¦they might be exactly the same size, but the "good" bone dog feels HEAVY.

• What perplexes me on top of that, is some saying, well that bitch is more "refined" looking (particularly in context of a judge who likes more "refined" bitches). Zoni does not fit into that category, she's definitely feminine but she has some substance (for lack of a better term) or maybe more "bone" to her. So when I look at a more "refined" bitch, she looks at least superficially to have less "bone", to me. "Dainty" comes to mind. But I guess from Andrea's comment, they could probably still have a smaller diameter bone that still has some good weight to it (not fragile). šŸ˜•

• Interesting discussion.

The standard says:
    Legs straight with clean, fine bone, long forearm, and well-defined sinews

So would the thicker bone be a fault over one that had finer bone (more refined looking, not fragile looking bone).

I'm also curious about front leg bones that are more bladed - is that something that runs in specific lines and is that considered a negative or a positive?

• A 'more refined' dog or bitch, would have 'less bone'..of course these are subjective termsā€¦so it is hard to be inside each person's head. But if someone said a judge likes a 'dog with more bone' ..then he likes a more solid (not racey) looking dog. It seems to be a personal preference, for the most part. There are dainty, refined Basenjis who do well (Tootsie)...and bigger, more substantive ones that do well (Joe) and there are both types found throughout our history and currently in Africa. You will also hear people say "that is too much dog for me" ..that means too much bone, or height (but usually bone).

In my opinion, the ideal is a Basenji that looks lightly built, but is surprisingly heavy when you pick it up....that means good bone, and good muscle.

Bladed bone can be called "good bone", but isn't what people are usually referring to. Basenjis should have bladed bone (thicker at the front of the leg, than the rear), and it is more apparent on some dogs and some lines than others. But it is pretty rare to see one that has truly rounded bone like a Beagle...at least that is my understanding.

• @renaultf1:

Interesting discussion.

The standard says:
    Legs straight with clean, fine bone, long forearm, and well-defined sinews

So would the thicker bone be a fault over one that had finer bone (more refined looking, not fragile looking bone).

I'm also curious about front leg bones that are more bladed - is that something that runs in specific lines and is that considered a negative or a positive?

All basenjis should have a bladed front leg bone. The degree may look different with the dogs build, IMO, but the concept is the same.

And as far as thicker bone being a fault, depends on your view of the standard. I would prefer a more substantial bone in both Bitches and Dogs. And there is a difference between "good" bone and a dog/bitches being too much bone. There is a difference between good/substantial bone and being coarseā€¦. which I have seen in several different lines that you have what I consider a "wonder" puppy that by the time he/she is 5 or 6 they have developed into a very coarse dog.

What I like to see #1 is that if I look at a bitch, I know it is a bitch without having to look to see what the sex is, same for dogs.

If you go to my website, Maggii is a bitch that you have no doubt that she is a bitch, but she had substantial bone (another one is Crystal), on the other side of the coin, Mickii and Kristii has less bone and substance if you compare the 4 bitches.

And in the ring it comes to the judges preference, some people believe that substantial bone is "fine" boned, others do not. Not always black and white.

• I've only just read this post as I was away for a few days.

I couldn't agree more with Tanza about substantial and bladed bone. The UK standard calls for fine bone which is interpreted by some to mean 'weedy'. As Tanza says it is not all black and white. After all the term 'fine' is open to individual interpretation.

I had a look on your website Tanza and agree that Maggii is very feminine and has good bone.

Suggested Topics