My breeder had already had her girls tested, so I knew there was a good chance one of mine would be affected. I of course didn't want either to be, but thought if one had to be, let it be Chey. You see, Chey will eat anything and to pill her would be easy. Apache on the other hand is indifferent to food, won't eat any kind of treat you can hide a pill in and is extremely difficult to pill by hand. The results came back and sure enough, it was Apache.
My heart sank and at night when he was snuggled close, I would pet him and cry, thinking of what life has in store for my beautiful boy and wondering for how long I will have him snuggling next to me. Although I've gotten over the worst of that, there are still nights….
Each time I strip test I hold my breath and pray it stays the same. Each time it does, I wonder if it will the next time.
This is the hand I've been dealt and I HAVE to be prepared, for myself and for him. I know quite a few people that have already afflicted dogs. I see how well they do on the protocol and can only hope that IF Apache ever becomes symptomatic that he will do as well.
If the time comes and he doesn't respond...my heart will shatter, but I will once again do what is best for him. We do all that we can and then let them go so they are free from any suffering. I hate even thinking about it...but how can you not?
These are the things that go through my head on a daily basis. It is what it is...I don't like it..but I will deal with it...that's really the only choice we have. We love them, we keep them happy and as healthy as possible and we pray that the day never comes that the strip changes color.