• It is not spilling urine but spilling glucose in the urine. How was the mother diagnosed as being Fanconi Positive? Was it from the DNA test sent to the Univ. of MO or a urine glucose strip? Has the father been tested?

Jennifer

• I think she meant the dam of her girl was Fanconi positive, not her mother's dog. But yes, it would help to know what she meant when she said positive.

Terry

• Oops, when I hit post, the other responses came up, and I see angelinahotty already clariified.

Terry

• Okay sorry, I misread "basenji's mother" for mother's basenji.

Do you have your dog's registration number? If so, you can look up to see if the sire has been tested. If the dog is probable clear, your chances are good that your dog may never develop Fanconi. If the dog is a probable carrier or probable affected, then the chances are much worse.

The mother has only 2 genes to pass, both Fanconi.
    If the sire is a probable carrier, then your chances for your dog to be affected are 50 percent and 50 percent chance probable carrier.
    If the sire is affected, then your dog will be a probable affected. That does not mean 100 percent develop the disease.

Although the protocol calls for MONTHLY, not weekly testing, I can understand Lynn testing weekly with a probable affected. But at the very least, do monthly a couple of days in a row.

• the breeder said her mother(the dogs mother) is dna positive..and also her grandmother….the father(the dogs father) is deceased ....i meant spilling glucose. please bear with me because i am new to this and learning what i need to be doing. i had no idea when i bought her that i needed to ask about these things...which makes no difference to me now considering i love her to death.....now i just have to take care of her.....like i said there have been no signs....she is perfectly healthy,utd on everything , i just want to keep her that way.thank you again for the info.

• i will look her numbers up…thank you for the info 🙂

• the breeder was a friend of my family and only had like 4 litters, he wasnt very experienced, but the dogs were registered. i really dont think he knows very much either,….but i am going to go digging into her registration info and family tree and see what i can find. like i said, she shows no signs, but you know what they say about prevention..... 😉 thank you all 🙂

• Just today I've got the results of my basenji. She is carrier. But her parents are both clear. I expected another resuls by the way…

• @Salis:

Just today I've got the results of my basenji. She is carrier. But her parents are both clear. I expected another resuls by the way…

Salis,
    Please contact Liz Hansen at the research lab and inform her of this situation. She will need the full names of your dog and both parents. Please send her an email at : HansenL@missouri.edu,

Liz is very nice and quite helpful. She will help you understand the results. She will investigate your test.

• @JoT:

Salis,
    Please contact Liz Hansen at the research lab and inform her of this situation. She will need the full names of your dog and both parents. Please send her an email at : HansenL@missouri.edu,

Liz is very nice and quite helpful. She will help you understand the results. She will investigate your test.

JoT, thank you! I've already wrote Liz Hansen:-)

I'm a bit unlucky with it test, i made order in January and after half a year I got this result! Lucky it's not affected!

Suggested Topics