• Our weather has started to get warmer and yesterday we had the air conditioning in our home break down. Of course we out our many fans so we could keep the air circulating.

Miranda and I would like to know what temps are safe for our puppy? Our summers can get pretty hot in June, July and August.

If anyone has any information on both Warm weather and also cold weather tolerance for Basenji's, we would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason and Miranda

• We live in Atlanta where it gets very hot (its been in the 80s & 90s recently). We haven't cranked our air up yet. We've been leaving the doors & windows open (we live on the 3rd floor so no escapes) & our pups have been fine. We figure if we tolerate it well, they probably tolerate it better because cold seems to bother them more. However, I will say we do not crate them so they are free to move about & find cooler spots in the apartment. When its no longer comfortable for us we will turn on the AC.
    Also, this is by no means a professional opinion. I'm just telling you what works for us.

• @Andrew:

We live in Atlanta where it gets very hot (its been in the 80s & 90s recently). We haven't cranked our air up yet. We've been leaving the doors & windows open (we live on the 3rd floor so no escapes) & our pups have been fine. We figure if we tolerate it well, they probably tolerate it better because cold seems to bother them more. However, I will say we do not crate them so they are free to move about & find cooler spots in the apartment. When its no longer comfortable for us we will turn on the AC.
    Also, this is by no means a professional opinion. I'm just telling you what works for us.

We appreciate the response. Unfortunately, humidity can be a big factor in heat tolerance. In the summer we have many days in the high 90's and even break the 100 mark. In the winter we go below Zero. On top of that we have the wind chill factors to deal with. I am really looking for some good guidelines so I can be sure I do not over heat my puppy or freeze the basenji out of him in the winter.

Jason

• Hard as it may be to believe especially this year - in MN we do or can get quite hot. My dogs bask in it - as long as there is water and shade they are fine - of course my dogs are never outside unless I am home and frequently outside with them. If they get too hot they go under the deck and lay on some cool dirt.

I will say thought that since we got AC (10 years maybe) their tolerance for the heat outdoors has lowered a bit. It's like they have gotten used to the cooler temp.

• While we do not get the humid weather in No Ca, it does get hot… and I have found that they tolerate the heat quite well, however it is good to have a place they can get in out of the heat, especially if humid... If in the high 80's/90's with high humid weather, if it were me, the air would be on....

Now however I do find that the hot, hot weather even without the humid part really is harder on the old dogs. My 16+ has a very hard time with the heat then he did at under 12yrs.

Also remember when walking your fur kids, to keep your Basenjis off the concrete and the roadways in the hot summer days.. they will burn the bottoms of their feet....

• I think most b's can handle the heat in their homes, they move from the sun beams to the cool shaded bathroom floors.
    The danger is the cars.
    Dog's should NOT be left in cars without airconditioning in the summer.
    Myself, I believe no dog should be left in the car in summer period.
    Despite what some folks think, it can cause brain damage or death.

• Here in NC it can easily be high humidity and 90 plus for 50 days a year. IT can be so humid you feel like you are in a sauna and 95 degrees and my dogs will be laying in the sun. As long as they have water, I would guess they can tolerate anything a human can.

• I think as long as they have free access to water and shade, they will tolerate just about anything. I think the direct sun is more an issue than the heat itself, really.

• In some places, it's illegal to leave pets in the cars in the summer, same as children. There are quite a few B owners in CO and AZ where it gets really hot during the summer. In CO, it also gets bitter cold in the winter. I am not sure about how the humidity effects the dogs, but I know that the B shouldn't have too much trouble with the warm weather if there is pleanty of shady/cooler spots because they are not too far away from the wild dogs that live outside where in the winter it gets extremely hot, and quite cold in winter at night.

• In Florida, dogs and even children die in cars every summer, so leaving a dog in a car is a big no-no. If you have a fan your basenji can lie in front of, and cool water, she will be fine. If you can take it, so can she.
    Take water for her when you go walking, and like Pat said, keep her off hot pavement or sand. Heat is really hard on old ones, but pups can tolerate a lot.
    Basenjis live with folks in northern Canada, they just don't spend much time outside in the winter, and then may wear a nice warm coat and boots. They are very flexible dogs!

Anne in Tampa, hot and humid, with lazy dogs loving the AC!

• Tucker has his own fan on my balcony. 🙂 However, it's probably the doggie door that is the key. He can come in and cool down anytime he wants.

I would think a dog breed from Africa would be pretty tolerant, regardless. I know that their tolerance for cold weather is VERY limited. Tucker shivers in 45 degree weather!

• It´s disgusting that people leave their dog´s in cars during hot summer day´s even at dog shows.Here we have a rule at dog shows that dog´s are forbidden to be kept in cars even in the shade .They call you over the loudspeakers and if you do not come they´ll smash the windows and they have the right to do so:@

• Cars and dogs can kill…I just can't believe in this informed society, that folks think its ok for dogs/kids to be left in cars.
    As I understand it, with the windows down part way, the car can still overheat enough to kill a dog within 10-20 minutes.
    Why would you take the chance for something you love??

• LOL! Tucker- yours can make it down to 45 degrees? We laugh at Jack because he is just like me, as soon as it drops below 60, he is just shivering away.

This weekend, we had a heat spell…..90 to 100 degrees heat indew (high humidity). Of course, my air conditioner wasn't ready. I still had the tarp on the outside part of it. Jack lounged all weekend on the couch. He had plenty of water, and every once in a while I would give him some ice to lick. But, he kept looking at me like "mom, its HOT! Fix It!" I got a fan set up, finally, and that helped. He lied on the couch right in front of it.....but when I got the AC running, he was a completely new dog....running around, jumping from armchair to couch, and back.

The funny thing is, while it was hot, and there was no air, he wasn't panting at all, but once I got the air on, he had this huge grin on his face, with his tongue hanging out, panting all over the house.

• Medjai loves to go play in the snow when it's only about 25 degrees. I don't understand how, because I'm on the other side of the window freezing.

Now that it's in the 80s, Medjai still just lays there in the sun soaking up the heat, inside and out.

• @myran:

It´s disgusting that people leave their dog´s in cars during hot summer day´s even at dog shows.Here we have a rule at dog shows that dog´s are forbidden to be kept in cars even in the shade .They call you over the loudspeakers and if you do not come they´ll smash the windows and they have the right to do so:@

I was in a supermarket about an hour ago when an announcement was made telling the person who left a dog locked up in their car to come to the front entrance IMMEDIATELY! When I left the store I saw a police officer really chewing out the owners. It was 92 degrees F outside. I can't imagine how hot the car interior must have been. :mad: :mad: :mad: I think it is against the law here to leave an animal in a car. I know (at least locally) that they tightened up a lot of animal protection laws and you also can't let your dog ride loose in the back of a pickup truck now.

Pat

• @BasenjiDiva:

I was in a supermarket about an hour ago when an announcement was made telling the person who left a dog locked up in their car to come to the front entrance IMMEDIATELY! When I left the store I saw a police officer really chewing out the owners. It was 92 degrees F outside. I can't imagine how hot the car interior must have been. :mad: :mad: :mad: I think it is against the law here to leave an animal in a car. I know (at least locally) that they tightened up a lot of animal protection laws and you also can't let your dog ride loose in the back of a pickup truck now.

Pat

That has always totally "pissed me off" to see a dog in the back of a pickup tied or not!… I would like to put the people in there and see how they like the sun beating down on them...... crap blowing in your eyes, nose, mouth, ears.... sigh.. they should ban dogs in pickups, unless in a carrier that is secure..

• Sadly, we will always have the "stupid on toast" folks…but with the laws on our side, that helps.
    I call when I see a dog loose in the back.
    I give the license plate.
    I only hope, one day, they get a big ticket!

• My basenji loves the summer heat here in Florida, 90-100 days. She enjoys lying outside on the driveway. If she gets too hot she moves to a grassy area in the shade. She is outside most all day although she has access to the house via her doggie door.

• Now that it's warming up here in Seattle (almost 90!), I'm finding out how Ziggy and Zhara deal with the heat. They go for the "conservation of energy" approach - laying around in the coolest part of the house and not moving very much. Do other people find that their Bs become pretty inactive or lethargic when the weather is warm?

Lori

Suggested Topics