Trouble with poo poo after neutering

• I don't think he was/is constipated as I observed fecal matter start to evacuate and then he starting screaming and the feces retracted. He was obviously in pain for trying to go poo poo. (I use that term because that is what we vocalize to him to associate with going potty)

• No, it is not normal after a neuter to be so sore that it causes pain to defecate but a normal neuter is done after the testicles are well descended into the scrotum, usually at or after 6 months of age. Since his testicles were not fully descended the surgery would have had to be more invasive than a nueter performed after they are fully descended and may be causing the issue. Depending on how high up they had to go he could be quite sore internally and the act of defecation strains the muscles that may have been injured in the surgery. Complications may not be visible as they may be abdominal and not surface issues. You should call your vet and report this symptom.

• I would consult the vet about this as soon as possible. I can't understand how neutering could cause this reaction which is obviously pain to cause him to bite you. I have had Basenjis for many years and some have had to be neutered but have never experienced them to have had .

Please let us know the outcome. Hopefully all will be well soon.

• I came home from work and took Rex out for a walk. I happy to report he went pee pee and poo poo with no complaints from him! I also got reports from my wife that he was terrorizing the cat. I guess he is back on track, lol.

• It's possible that he was experiencing pain because defecating caused strain on the stitches and he reacted to it. Hopefully this problem is now "behind" him. 🙂 He's very young, and his bite reaction can be excused, but be aware some Basenjis react badly to pain and just lash out (not just Basenjis, many dogs). I have had five Basenjis. Of those, three were stoic about pain. Two were not. My current boy will bite if he hurts, and one of my girls was like that as well. The others seemed to understand that although they were hurting you were trying to help them, and they would not react in that way.

• @Rex's:

I came home from work and took Rex out for a walk. I happy to report he went pee pee and poo poo with no complaints from him! I also got reports from my wife that he was terrorizing the cat. I guess he is back on track, lol.

sounds like life is back to normal.

• Thank goodness that all is well now. Thank you for letting us know.

• Even though things are back to normal apparently, I would still contact your vet. She needs to know there was such a serious reaction to the surgery.

• @wizard:

Even though things are back to normal apparently, I would still contact your vet. She needs to know there was such a serious reaction to the surgery.

Surely agree with this

• Make sure your boy is kept quiet and is not too active as I had a boy that opened up a couple of his stitches and had to go the emergency vet! Of course, this was at night when the regular vet was not open! He was an older pup/young adult and had undescended testicles.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics