Skip to content

Menopause vs Basenjis - PLEASE READ my story! This is very important!

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Woah Sadie! This IS unbelievable! I'm so glad you now have an answer to the previously unsolved mystery of their hair falling out! Hopefully they will be back to having full coats in no time!

  • Sorry I didn't proof read my post everybody. All of my quotes and apostrophes are now question marks! blah!!!

  • @Tayda_Lenny:

    Woah Sadie! This IS unbelievable! I'm so glad you now have an answer to the previously unsolved mystery of their hair falling out! Hopefully they will be back to having full coats in no time!

    Me too, Michelle! It's been a loooooooong road…...and extremely expensive, too!

    Thanks!

  • Wow! I had heard about this somewhere else recently, and now I don't remember where. I am so sorry that you all had to go through that.

  • Wow Sadie that's something and much, much effort and expense on your part to find the cause. I've heard of this too some time ago but totally forgot about it.

  • :mad: Here's what my poor Haley looks like after nearly 3 years of exposure to the topical Estrogen/Estradiol spray EvaMist. :(

    Is it not bad enough that she has to also have Fanconi?????!!!!!!!!
    attachment_p_147085_0_thru-10-8-11-220-copy.jpg

  • Here's a pic of my sweet, handsome Prince as we got him….....and one after nearly two years of exposure :(

    How sad is this????!!!!!!!
    attachment_p_147086_0_sadie-s-camera-thru-11-06-09-006-copy.jpg
    attachment_p_147086_1_thru-10-8-11-211-copy.jpg

  • That is really interesting…it looks totally like a thyroid condition, but that makes sense..since thyroid, reproductive hormones and metabolic issues are all connected. I wonder if the AVMA has sent out a bulletin or something about this to their members...seems like it might be a good idea, so they can catch it right away...

  • Hormones are very powerful, and can have dramatic effects. Your story doesn't surprise me, only that it took so long for an experienced vet to nail the diagnosis. When more than one dog is involved, look for something in the environment for sure. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to do a thorough look at blood work and discover the abnormality. Glad you have found the answer, and thank you for posting it as a heads up for others.

  • @Quercus:

    That is really interesting…it looks totally like a thyroid condition, but that makes sense..since thyroid, reproductive hormones and metabolic issues are all connected. I wonder if the AVMA has sent out a bulletin or something about this to their members...seems like it might be a good idea, so they can catch it right away...

    I agree. I will be reporting it to the FDA and the specialty vet is working on a report for a vet convention in Canada, too. I'm going to tell anyone who'll listen! ;)

  • Sadie,
    I would hurt to send blood samples to Dr Dodds or OFA for a full thyroid check. Most vets cannot perform the more complete test.

  • @nobarkus:

    Sadie,
    It wouldn't hurt to send blood samples to Dr Dodds or OFA for a full thyroid check. Most vets cannot perform the more complete test.

    Hi Dan,
    Who is Dr Dodds and the OFA? (color me BLOND! teehee)
    Sadie

  • Dr Dodds does the more extensive thyroid test in S. CA at the lab, Hemopet
    http://www.hemopet.org/

    OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) does the Fanconi DNA testing we all get and they will help you with the thyroid test too. They have a list of approved labs.
    http://www.offa.org/thy_labs.html

    You would need to get the blood drawn and shipped from your local vet to either of these labs. They provide complete instructions for you and the vet on what to do.

  • @nobarkus:

    Sadie,
    I would hurt to send blood samples to Dr Dodds or OFA for a full thyroid check. Most vets cannot perform the more complete test.

    I agree; if nothing else, I am sure Dr. Dodds would love to learn more about this phenomenon

  • Maybe vets, like human docs, start along one diagnosis track and are so focused they don't think outside the box. In retrospect, all that you say, eeeefarm, makes perfect sense! Especially both dogs being involved. Note to vets, bald dogs belonging to 40-ish females: check hormone levels!

    So goad you have an answer at last, hopefully they will be furry little critters soon!

  • Very interesting and does make perfect sense… I am glad now that I went through menopause "naked".. so to speak. However it was not fun....:(

  • Thank you everyone…......especially Anne "my new best friend" in Tampa who suggested that I might only be 40-ish!!! :) hehe

  • WOW - thanks for sharing. I wonder about people babysitting small children, does it rub off on them? I'm guessing it rubbed off on the dogs, or were they licking you?

  • Just for interest sake, I ran the scenario by my niece, who is a vet. She knew about the connection…...and would have nailed it. Nice to know she is on top of things like this.

  • Topical human hormones and animals was mentioned in this

    thread

    Hope I did this right.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji skirts

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    Kipawa's skirt - it isn't big, but I actually love running my fingers over it. :)
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    O
    Yes, Spencer is much better now, but he is still very thin. He lost six pounds. Even strong antibiotics cannot fight a severe abscess. I'm sure your vet found and resolved the problem under anesthesia, so that should put Egyn over the hump. SubQs and a few weeks of antiobiotics will hopefully get him back on the road to health. I had to feed Spencer critical care dog food through a syringe for several days after the surgery, then make him special soft food– the aforementioned meatballs-- for weeks after that. Good luck to you-- and positive thoughts to Egyn!
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    8k Views
    khanisK
    Check with Iris Craven, Kasai Basenjis. She is in Maryland and might know of a vet in your area… and also might be able to help you with the IPSID dx. She is a long-time Basenji breeder and has been around to see many many things happen in Basenjis.
  • Basenjis are popular..

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    9k Views
    JannekeJ
    @ibi_n_sane: the ears of the basenji of the pictures you show look like their is really something wrong, but it is not right to think that a basenji with a bit thin fur on his ears also has a condition/ disease that causes this. Of course, this dog is diagnosed with pattern baldness. And no, you can't say that every basenji/dog with less fur on the ears has this condition. Like Tanza said: it could be flies, or maybe cold, malnutrition.. I do think that Tillo's bald blackish ear rims are more than just 'loosing hair because it's winter/spring/summer..' And I would love to know what's causing it. That's why I wanted to ask it at the University and that's why I was suprised to see the B-ears on the screen and to hear about this 'pattern baldness' :)
  • Help Please

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    7k Views
    tanzaT
    @JazzysMom: Oh sorry, should have been more clear. I just sent my dogs' blood to Bryan, HE sent it on for testing. I was just replying as to where/how to physically mail the blood, not so much as related to the testing itself. Me too, should have been more clear, I was really responding to etzbseder about the CPP site and submitting blood, didn't even look to see the message was from you…. ggg
  • Homeopathy for Basenjis?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    Yes–I forgot that there are actually homeopathic vets available. We are so lucky here in the Bay Area--we have great vets, specialists and also UC Davis veterinary school/drs not too far away--and believe me--I have used all of these resources over the past 18 years.....