Bcoa breaking news - fanconi
  • 0
  • This just in from the BCOA via the BCOA announce:

    <start>

    Are you ready for some really great news?

    The BCOA and the BHE are pleased to announce Dr. Gary Johnson has identified the mutation responsible for recessive basenji Fanconi Syndrome. A new test, a direct Fanconi gene test is now available through the OFA. The OFA is working on a process to order the test on previously stored DNA. However a dog?s owner should go ahead and order the test now through the OFA website. Dogs that have not been tested before will need to have a cheek swab kit ordered via the OFA, returned, and the direct gene test will be run.

    Results will be sent to the owner, and displayed on the OFA website. To be able to differentiate the new direct test results from the Linked Marker test results, the new direct test will be resulted asClear, Carrier or Affected. The term "probably" will no longer appear on the certificate and there will no longer be an Indeterminate category.

    We should all congratulate Dr. Johnson for his work locating the gene and the genetic alteration responsible for recessive Basenji Fanconi syndrome. There is still work to be done to further characterize the mechanisms that cause the disease to manifest, and whether there are things we as Basenji owners and breeders can do to ameliorate the onset and severity of the disease. We hope everyone will want to support Dr. Johnson as he continues this important work to the benefit of our breed.

    Hooray!!!

    <end>
    *</end></start>

  • 0
  • Wow, very exciting. Need to send for a test for Chipley.

  • 0
  • And I thought I was the lucky one who posted this info first, in the Fanconi thread :o…

    Fan-bloody-tastic news :)...

  • 0
  • First Basenji's

    This is the best thing I've heard all day, and I'm so glad there's this forum so I feel like I have someone to CELEBRATE with! Woohoo!

  • 0
  • Absolutely brilliant news

  • 0
  • How wonderful :)

  • 0
  • Count me overjoyed at the news… and ticked that I just spent $130 and now get to do it again. Trivial compared to the news, but I sure wish they had announced they were close to this before I paid for the tests only months ago. :( Any idea on the cost of this one?

    I will continue to test Cara no matter the new test results (she is probable carrier) for a couple of years simply because I am concerned not so much with the test, but with how they handle it -- considering how most the bad results before were explained by retesting. She is such a pain to strip test, I am very hopeful this turns out superb so I can eventually go to every few months. Since Arwen tested probable clear, if she tests clear, I doubt I'll continue testing her.

    Now if only we could get a special fund raising committee to raise money JUST FOR FANCONI testing for BRAT, I'd be a happy camper.

  • 0
  • @DebraDownSouth:

    Count me overjoyed at the news… and ticked that I just spent $130 and now get to do it again. Trivial compared to the news, but I sure wish they had announced they were close to this before I paid for the tests only months ago. :(

    I am sure there are many others like you. And there have been other times Dr J thought he was close only to have it not be so…. I would guess that is why there was no advance announcement.

    For me, I am just thankful that it was finally found!

  • 0
  • I just emailed them. They said:

    To have the new testing performed you would need to order the Fanconi test kit from our web site at: https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

    Thank you.

    Carol Skinner

    Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, Inc.

    2300 Nifong Blvd.

    Columbia, MO 65201

    1-573-442-0418 ext 221

  • 0
  • This is FANTASTIC news!!!! I was so happy when I read the e-mail this morning!

    I'll have Cheyenne and Zuni retested…unfortunately...there's no need to re-test Apache.

  • 0
  • Here are some interim details from Liz Hansen at University of Missouri: any Fanconi test ordered since late August has been the direct test only. They are no longer using the marker test. Ordering a Fanconi test kit from OFA is no different than before, but the test that will be done is the new one.
    If you previously used the FTA card sample with the saliva swab to have a linkage test done, they are not yet sure whether there is enough sample remaining to extract for the new test. If you want a re-test now (e.g. For breeding stock who may be used this year) she suggests you get a new sample using a new kit. UMo and OFA are still debating how they'll handle the repeat testing.
    If you previously obtained a linkage result using a blood sample and want to re-test with the direct test in the very near future (e.g., Indeterminates) Liz suggests you e-mail her

  • 0
  • I sure never remember BCOA (or the Lab) would re-test" IND's. It was suggested that when we had a direct test, people re-test if they want. Everyone knew going in that there was 4 possible results and what each one represented. And if I did the Linkage tests know full well the possible results, I would consider it to be my responsibility to re-test an IND. I do not believe this is a correct statement.

    The direct test will be shown in the OFA database a "Clear, Carrier, Affected" it will no longer say "Probably" as it did with the Linkage test. So it would have a complete new number because it is a different test, regardless of the results

  • 0
  • Thrilled with the news! A question though, I ordered Oakley a test about three months ago and have procrastinated in getting it done.. Can I still use that or do I have to order a new kit?

  • 0
  • @Chealsie508:

    Thrilled with the news! A question though, I ordered Oakley a test about three months ago and have procrastinated in getting it done.. Can I still use that or do I have to order a new kit?

    You can use the test kit that you now have. It is the same kit. The Lab at U of MO has been using the direct test since late August. So your results will read Clear, Carrier or Affected, with no "Probably" prefix

  • 0
  • Thanks for the clarification Pat! Will do tonight and send out

  • 0
  • P

    Great news! Just in time for me to have Bungwa tested.

  • 0
  • im so happy sending away for test friday( after i get paid). hubby not happy for all the money spent on her but i dont care she is my !st born daughter ( cant have kids)

  • 0
  • @Patty:

    Great news! Just in time for me to have Bungwa tested.

    Who is Bungwa , Helena ?

  • 0
  • Hurray! I know that this is what the basenji community has been waiting for!

    Regarding incorrect results (with the linkage test), how close will the DNA test be regarding 100% accuracy?

  • 23
    Posts
  • 3546
    Views
  • Log in to reply