• Preying Mantis.

Out for our evening walk, AJ was acting strangely. He was pawing at something and jumping backward, looking intently at what I originally mistook as a leaf. Forehead deeply wrinkled, he looked at me over his shoulder as if to ask "What am I supposed to do with this???"

Well, I just had to have a peek. There, in front of my dog, with "arms" in classic position and wings held high over its back like war flags, was a 4-inch preying mantis. Now, I'm not bothered by mantids and actually find them quite fascinating. But this one was pretty angry, turning its head this way and that and ruffling its wings to make a whispery dry-leaves-in-the-breeze sound….as if daring me to take just one more step closer.

I know mantids do not have eyebrows. But this one scowled at me impatiently. Apparently, it thought I was the one in charge of the whole party and was incensed that I had allowed my dog to disturb its peace. I was pretty sure it might be time to move on.

But, we all, who have …I mean.... who serve Basenji (not for dinner-I mean those of us who bow to their majesties…but I digress...) We all know how tenacious a Basenji can be.

AJ was not ready to cede that section of concrete to a creature approximately 1% of his size. He put his nose right down into the face of the annoyed insect. And the mantis responded instantaneously with a lightning strike with its "arms," landing a slap right to the end of my brave boy's nose. Enough was enough. My dog gave a last indignant sniff and allowed the mantis its victory.

As we slithered away, defeated by a 4-inch bug, the mantis rustled its wings at us. I do believe it was .....laughing at us.

The shame.....the humiliation of it all.....

How will we ever live this down?

• ROFL! I can just picture the whole thing happening. That was one brave bug!

• That is great! My Wheat would have eaten that bug!

• ROFL!! It is too funny because I can totally picture the whole thing. We found a bullfrog the size of your hand in our yard a couple of weeks ago. The dogs were like 'What the heck is this Mom??' Then it jumped. They both freaked.
    The funniest though was at the Calgary dog show. At Spruce Meadows they have cast iron animals set up, some horses and one bison. I was taking Tucker for a quick #2 before the show and took him around back of the tents where the Bison was. He was so scared of the thing. I went up to it and leaned on it, kind of pretend petted it, etc. Tucker looked at it ran to the back strained his neck as far out as he could (I swear he looked like a black and white giraffe) got within a foot then took off, only to do the same thing 30 seconds later. He's looking at me with horror wondering why I am so close to it. We started walking away and he just stood there staring at it, gave a little gruff then turned around and followed me, looking back over his shoulder every once in a while to make sure it wasn't following us.

• Love all the stories. My guy's thing is feathers. If he comes across one in the field he will sniff, jump as if it is alive, then sniff it again. When I was a kid one house in our neighbourhood had a couple of statues of lions framing the entrance. Many, many dogs did a double take and reacted to those with hackles raised. But dogs don't have anything on horses in this regard. Change anything on the property, and the horses will notice…..and perhaps spook.....at the difference. 🙂

• At Sunday's Dog Show, there was a giant stuffed Scooby Doo (people could have their photos taken with it in front of 'The Mystery Machine') which Butu was really not happy about. I was taking him closer, explaining to him that I wasn't prepared to have him with irrational fears of giant furry animals, when the guy asked if perhaps he wasn't scared of his dog in the back of the van…there was indeed a border Collie sitting quietly in the van, but nope, Butu wasn't even glancing at him. Luckily the chances of Butu running into another giant Scooby Doo are quite small.....

• Ok and now that I think of it….in the middle of the group ring there were a couple of horse statues and when we were in the ring for group doing our down and back he kept looking over his shoulder at something and wouldn't pay attention to me!! Now I think he was afraid of those too!

• eeeefarm, Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin describes just what you did, horses and cows being totally distracted by some small change in their environment.

• Good thread - I've really had a good laugh!

• Great to hear from you again. When I joined this forum I LOVED your 'where's AJ' posts.

Kipawa would have played with the mantis until its death. He loves to bat at things that are on the ground.

• @MacPack:

eeeefarm, Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin describes just what you did, horses and cows being totally distracted by some small change in their environment.

Yes, that's because they are prey animals. I had one of my five that was particularly sensitive to the least little thing. Not desirable in a riding animal, but he would have been the survivor in the wild. Nothing new ever escaped his gaze!

It's actually easier to deal with unusual things with a horse when you are away from home…...because they don't know what is "normal" in an unfamiliar place they are more accepting of something "different", and in my experience more willing to trust you when you say it's O.K. 🙂

• Earlier this summer I went camping with Gossy and one day we took a walk on a trail where I had seen an unusual bird. I'm looking up trying to figure out what the bird is and suddently Gossy jumps up and does the "startled run". I look to see what's going on, and there in the middle of the trail is a crawfish with its big claws snapping away. Gossy had absolutely no desire to mess with it :eek:

• Thank you for these amazing stories. Great morning read with my coffee. I can't wait to share some stories with Kentucky. Hopefully this weekend camping I will come back with a few.

• What a riot - If I'd come across that situation it would probably mean a quick cross to the other side of the street or whatever - bugs, BIG bugs, are pretty gross to me. As to your other statement:

"But, we all, who have …I mean.... who serve Basenji (not for dinner-I mean those of us who bow to their majesties...but I digress...) We all know how tenacious a Basenji can be."

Yes. tenacious is one way to describe them. There are days when "serving" my basenji could easily translate "for dinner."

• @Shaye's:

Yes. tenacious is one way to describe them. There are days when "serving" my basenji could easily translate "for dinner."

We like to threaten ours with the possibility of "roast haunch of Basenji" on the menu. Somehow he doesn't take us too seriously! 😃

• I keep saying, the only reason I keep that dog fed is to keep the meat fresh.

Funny how nobody believes me. Nope, not even AJ.

• @AJs:

I keep saying, the only reason I keep that dog fed is to keep the meat fresh.

Funny how nobody believes me. Nope, not even AJ.

I can believe it - after all, we live in a hurricane prone state, and who knows - there may come a day when we can't get to food - nice to have it living with you.:D

• Yes, Shaye's Mum, but the Basenjis might get to you first!!

• Anyone for curly tail soup?

• HAHAHA keep the tail for a toothpick

Suggested Topics