Folks this is more dogs than the Fl Wimauma group… and from a breed already horrifically overrun with rescues. That a dedicated NY group is trying to help all the way to GA... Please, if you can foster, donate, go over and help groom, anything, please step up for this breed that, in so many independent thinking ways, is like our our beloved Basenjis, I beg you to consider. This is a desperate situation. Btw, the Amy listed is a chow breeder, one of few, I am sorry to say, who is active in rescue. She is an angel.
I thought I would give you an update on the 100+ Chows in Georgia.
Amy Young, Lynette White and Cheryl went to the Kennel on Sunday night. Here is what Amy reported to me.
ADDED: To fill out the foster home application that will be found on our website in the next few days. www.chowrescue.petfinder.com
- The count of 74 from animal control was incorrect. There are actually 84.
- The Chows are kept in wooden runs with tin roofs.
- The kennel owner signed over all of the Chows.
- We have 30 days to remove all of the Chows from the property.
- Amy and her crew first separated the male Chows from the female Chows so we wouldn?t have any accidental breedings.
- They then labeled every run with the color and age of each Chow.
- The majority of the Chows are blue, black and creams.
- They think there is one pregnant Chow but there may be two to three others.
- Some of the Chows have cataracts and entropion. UGH!
- One cream Chow is blind and is doing circles.
- Most are not aggressive. They just scatter when approached. Once you can capture them most of them will let you handle them.
- There is one 1 week old puppy and that puppy is now with Amy and is doing well.
- Most of the Chows are two and under. There is a litter of 7 week old puppies and a litter of 12 week old puppies.
- Amy pulled 18 more Chows all under 6 months of age and the 1 week olds mother.
- The Chow coats are all dirty and will need to be groomed. Amy groomed 4 today.
I will be traveling to Georgia on Friday night and will go to the kennel on Saturday. Amy and I will be evaluating all the Chows and name them all. We will pull more that day and decide where all of the Chows will be going.
We will need more foster homes so please contact me if you are interested in fostering.
We did find out today that the kennel owner has informed the shelter that he will no longer be feeding or giving water to the Chows since he signed them over to the shelter. I can?t tell you how much this angered me. These Chows need us so if anyone is in the area please contact the shelter to help them out.
Meriwether County Animal Shelter
263 McLaughlin Road
Greenville, GA 30222
We can?t do this alone. If you can please donate to help these Chows - http://chowchowrescuecny.chipin.com/georgia-puppy-mill-chow-chows
Chow Chow Rescue of CNY