• On our way to the whippet nationals coursing event Saturday, we stopped by to spend the afternoon with Gambits breeders. We left with her sister:) Introducing Meisterhaus Neon Nights, AKA Tempest. Both girls were a huge hit at the coursing trial, where they played with many whippets and owners, till they needed a nap. Gambit taught Tempest what a collar and leash was all about and now they are pretty good at trotting at my side in tandem, only tangle me up once in a while:)

We were only traveling with our whippet Annie and Gambit, so the other 3 had a big surprise when we walked in with a new puppy last night. She instantly charmed the boys, who were bowing and wagging to her from first sight. Xander absolutely loves her, he has always had a fondness for red bitches.

• Very cute…lots of action going to be happening at your house!

• Houston

wow..Lisa..how beautiful..Welcome Tempest..

• She is beautiful! Congrats to all 🙂

• ROFLMAO, note to self… don't visit anyone with puppies that are still available... irresistible. I am also fond of reds, so I'd have taken her too. What a doll. I really believe young things need young things. I'd have done 2 at a time if I could.

• LOL…. reminds me of when I brought home C-Me and Franie last year.... while not related, they act just like great "sisters"..... and Franie loves when her brother comes for a visit, as does "adopted" sister C-Me....

• We had two at a time for our first two pairs, and it really worked out well for travelling to shows and events as they had a close companion to snuggle. This is our first time with two of the same sex, but they really seem very close, and we will encourage them to stay that way

• Beautiful pups! Tempest is a perfect name for a little girl B! Many times people say two girls together are a bad idea, but mine are 7 months apart and they get along very well. Lots of play fighting, but never anything for real. Of course one is a mix, but the pure B is definitely the alpha dog, even though she is 15 pounds lighter! I know of other cases where there are females together who are all basenji, and they are also getting along. It can happen, so good luck with them.

• As they say… it works till it doesn't. When I got my very first two, Maggii and OJ, (not related but 2wks apart in age, I thought the same thing, funny thing was, Maggii did not agree with me.... she never really like OJ and would not have missed him, had he disappeared! I was very careful picking out these two girls based a lot on temperament and so far, so good. They say that litter mates do not always work out because of just that, litter mates... they have since birth been "social climbing" to be pack leaders. That said, if the two are of moderate temperaments, that would be more likely to work.

I still believe in the general rule of thumb, that opposite sexes are best, not always the case but in 90% of the cases, it is.... (again IMO)

• Aaaaahw.. she's cuuute! Love the wrinkles 🙂

• Welcome to the beautiful Tempest.

• you're very brave!! but she is so cute, who could resist?

• She has settled in quite well, she is a very mellow girl. Whenever I take Trog to visit his breeder, he joins right in with her pack of 8 like he never left. Susan kept two girls from each litter and has been fortunate to never hAve a conflict. I had problems once when getting a dog back after 4 years when the owner died. My 3 boys accepted her, but the two girls wanted to drive her out, so we kept two separate packs for 6 hrs till the older girls pAssed away, then Katie was given free range of the house. She welcomed Trog and the two whippets into our house at age 13 spent a couple yrs snuggling them

• @tanza:

As they say… it works till it doesn't. When I got my very first two, Maggii and OJ, (not related but 2wks apart in age, I thought the same thing, funny thing was, Maggii did not agree with me.... she never really like OJ and would not have missed him, had he disappeared! I was very careful picking out these two girls based a lot on temperament and so far, so good. They say that litter mates do not always work out because of just that, litter mates... they have since birth been "social climbing" to be pack leaders. That said, if the two are of moderate temperaments, that would be more likely to work.

I still believe in the general rule of thumb, that opposite sexes are best, not always the case but in 90% of the cases, it is.... (again IMO)

I agree about the general rule for sure. Although,I am starting to think that the secret to getting two females to work out, is to have one (or more) that is completely unreactive to the other…not necessarily status related...but just doesn't really care if the other one gets her feathers ruffled. I have been lucky enough to have two pairings like that. Luna clearly deferred to Bella, and just didn't get bothered by posturing. Blondie isn't submissive to Ivy in most situations, but she doesn't let Ivy's blustering get to her at all. Ivy would like everyone to think that she is in charge, but nobody really listens to her 😉 Now, when Ivy and Bella were together, they were constantly on each other's last nerve...and a fight was always just about to break out.

I think that siblings *might work out better in a same sex pairing, because they would have sorted out their order as infants...unless they both tend to have reactive personalities.

Just thinking out loud 😉

• Oh wow, you definitely won't be bored for the next couple of years. 😃 I hope everyone gets along.

I must admit, I'm a little anxious for when I get my third dog next year (fingers crossed). You just don't know who is going to like who.

• very cute! love the name.

• Lisa, you're killing me here. You're everywhere I turn, scattering those cute little puppy pictures like they're completely harmless.
    I think my boyfriend is starting to get worried…

And on the girl/girl pairing, I agree with Quercus, in my extremely limited experience (I've had 2 girls for 2 years now). After hearing that 2 girls usually don't work well, I was not planning on a 2nd girl. However, Callie is completely non-reactive to Lola. Lola likes to be in charge, call the shots, and be the big dog. Callie just couldn't care less. She lets Lola walk all over her, and it works just fine for them both. Callie stands up for herself with other basenji bitches, but simply does not buy into Lola's drama. If she did, it certainly would not work out at all.

• im very jealous.. Hopefully next year i will get another B>>>> Right now, Ayo is a handfull and im really not in good economic condition to get another one.. HOpefully next year will be better. I really want to live ina new place before i get another one…..

• Such a prety girl!

• What cuties!! GL with them:) I would have chosen Tempest for Ariel's call name, but it was too close to our labradoodles name, Tessie.

Suggested Topics