• Some of you may remember that Redmund is a Basenji that we placed with a family that owns a winery. About a year ago he mortally injured a deer that was in the vineyard (despite deer fencing). Last Wednesday Chris Pearmund, the owner of Pearmund Vineyards, was leaving at about 8:00 p.m. and there were about 20 deer outside the winery. Redmund took off in quick pursuit. Chris saw him riding the back of a rather large buck a couple of times but then he couldn't see him. He had to search the vineyard for a while before he came across Redmund chowing down on the carcass of a doe. It was obvious that Redmund had done the killing as the doe was chewed up around the neck, the same method Redmund used to take down the prior deer. This time Redmund had gutted the deer and had eaten a considerable portion of it's rump. Redmund did not eat at all the following day.

Redmund is really a gentle soul who gets along really well with all the visitors to the winery, human and canine, exceptionally well. It's pretty amazing that a 20 pound dog could take down a 150 lb. deer.

Sid Sher
    Kugawa Basenjis

• Oh my gosh - what a hunter. He's lucky neighbors haven't reported him (Redmund) - in some locations deer hunting dogs can be shot without notice to the owners.

• Well, there's more proof that Basenjis aren't a toy breed by any means, no matter how small they are compared to the larger dogs. I remember reading posts about Basenjis holding their own against coyotes as well.

• Wow. That's quite amazing. Never thought these dogs were capable of taking down such large animals.

• @wizard:

Oh my gosh - what a hunter. He's lucky neighbors haven't reported him (Redmund) - in some locations deer hunting dogs can be shot without notice to the owners.

Wow…Redmund! :eek:

And Wizard...that's the way it is here...the game wardens would put the dog down for killing a deer.

• Deer and a vineyard are not good partners. The owner of agricultural land generally has a right to kill animals eating his crops or damaging, in this case, his vines. If this was a dog roaming the forest killing deer it would be a problem but that is not the case.

Sid Sher
    Kugawa Basenjis

• Is there any danger of him being put down for deer killing?

• If the owner can shoot the deer for eating his crops I can't see why the authorities would be concerned so long as Redmund was on his own property. By the way, the whole Northern Virginia area has a tremendous deer overpopulation problem.

Sid Sher
    Kugawa Basenjis

• Wow that's badass. I definitely saw Zip in a different light after she hunted down and ate a rabbit. But…a deer?!?!

Zip and Lola (I think it was those two) ran after a deer once but that was about it. They showed up 3 minutes later....

• That is amazing. I can't believe how strong & fierce these little pets can be sometimes.

@mauigirl:

Wow that's badass. I definitely saw Zip in a different light after she hunted down and ate a rabbit. But…a deer?!?!

Zip and Lola (I think it was those two) ran after a deer once but that was about it. They showed up 3 minutes later....

That was Lola… and that 3 minutes felt like 30!!!

Booger picked up a dead mouse once... that's about all I got.

• All my basenjis have been excellent rabbit hunters - and my first one was blind in one eye too.

• My 2 only get squirrels and birds. All dead in the yard except the dead squirrel proudly displayed in the living room, the live bird let loose in the house, and the not quite dead squirrel in the kitchen–-the down side of doggie doors!

I can't imagine a take down of a deer. That would scare the crap out of me. One well placed kick and that would be the end of your dog.

• My theory is that after the first encounter he figured out the pointy ends and avoids them. After the deer enter the deer fenced vineyard they are basically captive animals and have no where to run. That is the only way he can get a deer.

Sid Sher
    Kugawa Basenjis

• WOW…A DEER!!! No way! Impressive!

• Good dog Redmund he saves money for you no kibbles for that boy he hunts his own meal 😃 On a more serious note hide the carcass and don´t tell anyone or Redmund might be in some serious trouble;)

• As Redmund's breeder, I am not really happy that he is risking his life in this pursuit. However, it is pretty amazing that a 25 pound dog can take on a 150 pound deer.

Sid Sher
    Kugawa Basenjis

• If you've ever watched a pack of them, it's truly an awesome site. It's like a telepathic dance. But truly amazing taking down a deer by himself.

• I'm definitely no expert in this area, and it's just a thought…but I know chronic wasting disease is becoming more and more common in deer.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/

Redmund would have to ingest a different part of the deer than his rump 🙂 but it's something to consider.

• First Basenji's

WOW!!

But then … when you think about it ... they were/are used in Africa/Congo for hunting!

The one book I have said the owners tied a shelled gourd around their necks, filling the gourd with pebbles/stones so as to be able to 'hear' the basenji and not shoot them, shooting the prey instead.

• My Max got hold of a large raccoon in my backyard one night when he was about 2. My boyfriend at the time went out and saw the raccoon on its back with Max on his throat. He tried to separate them, but it was too late for the raccoon. I've kept my dog door down at night ever since. The two Bs I have now seem to be fearless and much more instinctively predatory than Max was–but fortunately I haven't had any raccoons etc in the backyard....yet.

Suggested Topics