Why Do Puppies Cost So Much?

• I think your 100% on spot Pat, and I will admit that when I meet a client for the first time and the "price" of my services is the first item up for discussion, I know right away its not a good start. (I am a financial advisor)

"""I think what happens many times is that when a person looking for a puppy goes to a "less than responsible" breeder that is only in it for the money, they think "making an offer" comes to mind. Mostly because with these breeders you do not get the impression that these pups and the breeding of these pups are part of their lives, not just a way to get a few bucks""""

Thats exactly what I was trying to say!

Thanks for clearing that up, I also agree with everything else you said

• @jflowe22:

I think your 100% on spot Pat, and I will admit that when I meet a client for the first time and the "price" of my services is the first item up for discussion, I know right away its not a good start. (I am a financial advisor)

"""I think what happens many times is that when a person looking for a puppy goes to a "less than responsible" breeder that is only in it for the money, they think "making an offer" comes to mind. Mostly because with these breeders you do not get the impression that these pups and the breeding of these pups are part of their lives, not just a way to get a few bucks""""

Thats exactly what I was trying to say!

Thanks for clearing that up, I also agree with everything else you said

And Therese made some great points too!!! Hopefully that people will pass on this information to their friends looking for a puppy regardless of the breed and how important it is to know your breeder first… and not to make it a snap decision to just get and puppy and "I want it right now". I know that I waited 8 months for my first two... and it was the longest 8 months...gggg... but I will never regret the breeders I went to, one that became my mentors (Leightons/Zuri Basenjis) and the other (Bushbabies) my very close friend and all the people that I have met since!

• Snap decisions - in my mind those are the times when something is 'on sale' and you want to buy it now. In this day of seeing the word 'sale' on everything (do you really believe it's on sale??!!) we're becoming a society that wants reductions on things, even if it is a living being. How sad.

When you have time to establish a relationship of trust and understanding with a breeder you have chosen, trust me, money is not the issue. What is the issue is knowing you have selected a breeder who cares enough about their pups to not release a pup at just 8 weeks, you've gotten to know a breeder who will be there for you for the life of your basenji and probably well after that, and you can have peace knowing your breeder loves the breed so much that they breed for only a happy and healthy basenji. To me, there is no price for something like that.

This I type with Kipawa on the couch with me, snoring happily.

• So, the fanconi is on each pups or on the parents or both? I was making some accouints about how much can expect to spent on a future litter.. well here on Mexico.. the people dosnt make hip, eyes or worst.. the fanconi.. but anyway the pups are sell for aprox 400 us.. but there is no explanation about the cost..

I think there is no need to put on the account the food of the parents, electricity and so .. because the parents food are responsible of the owner.. i dont expect that someone pay for the cost to me to have an basenji.. but well there are other cost that i see is ok to include.

Suggested Topics