• @tanza:

The key is health testing… has it been done... Fanconi, hips, elbows, thyroid, eyes?.... and is there proof posted not just what the breeder might tell you... and how many different breeds of dogs are they breeding/selling?... a big clue to "back yard breeder"

So what's the story behind this specific breeder with health testing? Are there any general business ethics that come across as being an issue?

• @Kananga:

So what's the story behind this specific breeder with health testing? Are there any general business ethics that come across as being an issue?

@tanza:

The key is health testing… has it been done... Fanconi, hips, elbows, thyroid, eyes?.... and is there proof posted not just what the breeder might tell you... and how many different breeds of dogs are they breeding/selling?... a big clue to "back yard breeder"

@Jody:

Fill me in…. I don't understand what the problem is with this breeder. and how does one know when answering an ad??

I also googled this breeder just out of curiosity an was just shocked at the "adoption fee" breeder was asking for dogs, and the logic behind it. And here's why, when you go to look at the pictures of these animals IMO they are very poor quality to look at, one female her back is extremely sloped downward. And like Tanza noted there is no information about the health testing of the either parent on the site.

Adoption fee for puppies who have both parents as champions will be $1500 each
    Adoption fees for puppies I am considering keeping will be $2500.00 on up.
    Adoption fee for puppies who have one champion parent will be $1000 - $1500 each
    Puppies who have champion lines further back such as grandparent, great grandparent will be adopted as pets for $575 - $1000

• From my website:

WARNING

Over the last few years, the Basenji has become a "fad breed" and disreputable and indescriminant "breeders" are popping up all over the United States. Some of these "breeders" are blatantly obvious while others hide behind cleverly designed websites designed to make them appear reputable. If you are thinking about adding a Basenji to your family, we urge you to research breeders thoroughly. Be aware that there are numerous breeders who are falsely advertising that their dogs have had multiple health tests run such as hip OFAs, eye CERFs, and Fanconi testing. Buyer beware…check for yourself at the Orthopedic Foundation For Animals database. Search for the dog's registered name to see what tests have actually been run.

• Robyn, that is wonderful!
    Wish all breeders/clubs would put in something like this.

• @basenji_fan:

I also googled this breeder just out of curiosity an was just shocked at the "adoption fee" breeder was asking for dogs, and the logic behind it. And here's why, when you go to look at the pictures of these animals IMO they are very poor quality to look at, one female her back is extremely sloped downward. And like Tanza noted there is no information about the health testing of the either parent on the site.

Holy smokes! Even if all the health testing was done, aren't the prices too steep, even for "both champion parents?"

• Robyn - that is good information.

Are Basenjis really a "fad" dog? Is that why so many are popping up at shelters?

I wouldn't have known about the breed until I rescued my old gal, CeCe, that passed in 2008. She was Basenji (mix). I've NEVER loved a dog - or anything or anybody as much as that girl. I knew Basenjis were for me after living with CeCe for 12 years.

• Many for profit breeders talk up basenjis as being nearly the perfect dog. Barkless, hypoallergenic, clean, regal appearance, great for apartments. These are the sorts of things you will see in ads for basenjis from these type breeders.

What they don't tell people, barkless does not equal silent just search youtube for basenji videos, that should be enough said. There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog so if you have allergies the best thing to do is make several visits to breeders to see if you have a reaction. Clean they may be but they are also like living with frat boys, you are likely to have to clean up after their wild parties when you come home from some time away from home. Regal appearance, of course, how else have they survived so long with such a mischievous streak. As for great for apartments, see above.

• Several times I've encountered people who say "Oh a basenji, the barkless dog, I'd like one like that." If that is their first reaction I tell them that's not their only quality and try to discourage them, especially if they've never had any dog before.
    It's too bad when the dog shows are televised, they almost always skip to a commercial when the basenjis are shown - otherwise people might find out more about them and why they were bred and some of their "quirks".

• Ivoss said, "Clean they may be but they are also like living with frat boys, you are likely to have to clean up after their wild parties when you come home from some time away from home. Regal appearance, of course, how else have they survived so long with such a mischievous streak."

😃 Good analogy! 😃

• Also, as they are so cat like, folks don't understand their not "listening". So the corrections get harsher and harsher.
    Sigh.
    Education is the key for folks…until they do, we will have many dogs in the wrong homes.

Suggested Topics