Hiya! I'm BasenjiLuv! Can You Tell Me About This Website?

• I agree with Rita Jean - be sure you know as much about the breed as is possible - they are quite an experience for someone who has not owned them before. Fortunately, they also worm their way into your heart real quick so you will put up with things you never thought you could! Good that your family has had them before, that probably means you can get a break now and then when your people will "puppysit!"

• We have had TWO basenjis before this one!

• Glenn Glazek, XXXXNocturnal KennelXXXX (edited note: meant Sun Dance, glanced back at wrong ad), is not part of the Basenji club and in fact the ONLY info is a pretty puppymillish ad. Please please PLEASE ask your family to go to the basenji org breeder referral list for a responsible breeder!

https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=94

• OK! Idk if I spelled his name right though…

• OH! Wait, Glenn Glazek is from Sun-Dance Kennel…

• here's an ad i found - sun-dance rather than nocturnal. (didn't the nocturnal name come up in another thread, maybe with the blue or dilute puppies?)

http://www.breeders.net/detail.php?id=129367

• Idk what that means, I'm sorry… But here is the ad I found :
    And its the same as yours

• @tlish:

here's an ad i found - sun-dance rather than nocturnal. (didn't the nocturnal name come up in another thread, maybe with the blue or dilute puppies?)

Yeah I found that ad on the main page
    http://www.breeders.net/search.php?action=search&country=2&doglist_id=36&zipcode=32801&x=0&y=0&search=1

then looked at the TOP of the page. Same thing… not member of Basenji org, back yard breeder screams from the ads.

• not trying to be contrary at all, but what screams back yard breeder? nocturnal breeders has totally different names, contact info, state, etc., so i am wondering what part of sun-dance is screaming backyard breeder. actually, tanza is listed on this same page. seriously, just wondering what to look for. i realize the grammar is horrific, but i'm picky. what else is there? thanks!

• @tlish:

not trying to be contrary at all (actually i know suki will eventually want a playmate), but what screams back yard breeder? nocturnal breeders has totally different names, contact info, state, etc., so i am wondering what part of sun-dance is screaming backyard breeder. actually, tanza is listed on this same page. seriously, just wondering what to look for. i realize the grammar is horrific, but i'm picky. what else is there? thanks!

Tanza is listed on the same page along with other "responsible" breeders so that people can see the difference between breeders. Often responsible breeders with advertise on many different sites NOT to compete with BYB's but to try and teach people how to fine a responsible breeder. Ones that health test before breeding and do not breed just for the sake of selling puppies. Breeders that breed to improve the breed, not just breed the same dogs over and over again every year.

Are Sun-Dance puppies AKC registered? Have they been DNA tested for Fanconi? Have their hips been done? Elbows? Have their Thyroids been tested? What is the pedigree of their breeding dogs?

I would suggest you go to this link on how to find a responsible breeder and see after all the questions are answered if Sun-Dance fits…. I would think not. http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/selectbreeder.html

• so, because they don't list the tests, akc registry, etc. in their ad, they are likely a backyard breeder. got it.

• The ad listing itself does not have enough information in it to say one way or the other what type of breeder they are. It is true that most responsible breeders will list in their ads what they test for. If you are looking to add a new puppy, it is really important to learn what to ask for and how to verify for yourself that the information they have provided is true, do searches on OFA and verify what they are testing for. Breeders that advertise Continental Kennel Club (CKC) or America's Pet Registry, Inc, (APRI) registered dogs are a huge red flad since these registries were formed because breeders did not want to comply with AKC's frequently used sire program that requires DNA testing on sires producing many litters a year or in their lifetime.

• i'm not interested in a puppy, i'm just asking questions because people said this person must be a backyard breeder because of the ad. i was just curious what, in the ad, indicated that the person is a backyard breeder. so, i didn't know if it was the website itself, or the lack of stating that they do testing, or what. i'm inclined to agree with you, that you actually can't tell from the ad alone. the original poster will have to ask the breeder some of the questions that were suggested.

• Using the information from the ad, a interested person can do a search on OFA and would find that there is not any fanconi testing information for any dogs with the SunDance kennel name. That would be a red flag.

• First Basenji's

One flag for me would be the description of Basenjis raised in a "family setting", or calling themselves a "hobby breeder" and leaving it at that, with no mention of showing status/health tests/sire and dam's registered names, so you can look up all that publicly available information for yourself before deciding to contact the breeder. I think the idea is that if you're testing your dogs, there's no reason to hide that information, especially if the results are good! If you don't disclose this information, either the results are less than ideal, or you don't bother to do it at all.

I think descriptions like "family setting" and "hobby breeder" are well-intentioned descriptors that folks use to differentiate themselves from commercial breeders. These types of breeders probably aren't breeding for the money, but what it says to me is that they're still producing pups of questionable health status, and they're probably more casual about following up on the puppies they produced so that they can make sure their puppies aren't going into rescue, put into breeding situations, or dying of heartbreaking genetic diseases that don't show up until much later in life. They might be perfectly nice people, but I personally don't think you can make an ethical choice to breed dogs without rigorous follow-up, and so the more negative term "backyard breeder" applies.

• Okay I caused confusion. The ad I said was byb I saw, but then glanced at TOP ad when put kennel and posted the wrong kennel name. The byb was so obvious to me.

Do you see ANYTHING in this long post about showing, testing, bloodlines, health etc? Um no. Note it says "dog business." NO RESPONSIBLE BREEDER calls their passion a business. This person breeds to sell animals, pure and simple.

So… to give benefit of doubt, I looked for any other postings by this person... sales ad, that's it. UNLIKE Tanza who not only had responsible ad, but you can find all over demonstrating her reputation, commitment and quality.

Hi my name is Glenn and my wifes name is Virgina, We raise Basenjis in S.W. Michigan,Grand Haven area, Are kennel name is Sun-Dance kennels, We started raseing basenjis about 8 years ago after my parents got out of the dog business in which they raised basenjis for over 25 years and i have had basenjis as pets for 25 years, The love of this breed started with the very first basenji we ever had or seen for that matter,So are goal is to keep breeding these dogs as great family pets and to get more people to understand the breed. So every Dec we should have a litter or two of brindles and Red&White, And if anyone needs more infomation on this breed or would like to be on a list for upcoming litters please contact anytime at

• I would ask where they obtained their breeding dogs. Some get them from auctions, newspaper ads, etc. Why did the breeder decide to breed those specific dogs? Was it to improve the breed? Is the breeder keeping a pup or are they selling all of them? Do they do any activities with their Bs-showing, lure coursing, agility, etc. Even if the dogs have been Fanconi tested, I would not want to buy without other health tests done, especially eyes and thyroid. I have had more rescue Bs have eye problems than have Fanconi. A Basenji also needs to have a good temperament.

I would want to take a good look at the sire and dam and see their movement. I have a commercial breeding dog rescue and she is longer than she is tall and has poor movement-waddles when she walks and should have never been bred.

I would want to know if they have a contract, what is in it and will they take back a dog if something happens. If the pup is not breeding quality, is spaying/neutering required.

I would verify they are not USDA licensed-a big red flag!

Jennifer

• Thanks for talking about eye problems, I totally forgot that on my list of health tests in my other post….

• Yes, they are AKC puppies, look here: http://www.qualitydogs.com/141414/BSNJ/memberprofile.html

• @BasenjiLuv:

Yes, they are AKC puppies, look here: http://www.qualitydogs.com/141414/BSNJ/memberprofile.html

AKC doesn't mean that it is a responsible breeder, many BYB's and Puppy Mills have AKC registrations… doesn't mean they are health tested.....

Or in the case of many Puppy Mills, that the AKC registrations even belong to that particular dog unless they have been required to DNA test the sire and dam with AKC

Suggested Topics