Skip to content

Baby-Basenji and two big happy labs

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    P
    @ktiefen1 You would be correct!! Potty Training eventually came easy because ours is so treat motivated....lol. Basic obedience is a challenge for us......ahe is definitely her own girl....and please dont disturb her sleep. You could lose a limb. ::)))))
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • How big was your basenji around 16 weeks

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Cara was big at 16 weeks but I don't remember how big. If the ribs and backbone are slightly visible, weight is okay…too visible, too thin, cant' really see at all, getting up there. Builds are different, so the first and only evaluation is=== how does YOUR dog look. Cara is almost 5 and about 43 pounds, btw. She probably needs to lose a couple of pounds tops.
  • Picking up our New Basenji baby today !

    Basenji Talk
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    7k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    @caz: Is that one of Victoria's ones?? Yes he is ….....
  • Basenji and a Baby Pitbull

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    MacPackM
    None of mine care for young puppies of any breed, they try and avoid them. Once the pup is 8 or 9 months old, mine seem to like the same pup they have been growling and snapping at for 6 months! I agree with the yard as a more neutral area. Good luck, he's a cute puppy, hopefully will get neutered then your dogs may like him better.
  • Basenji vs Lab

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    renaultf1R
    My best friend's 2 German shepherds both sit in my lap when I go visit at their house. Not exactly a comfortable sit for me, but I love the dogs so I usually let them stay that way until I can't take the weight anymore.:eek: Seems to be a case of big dogs don't know they are big - small dogs don't know they are small. :)