Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?

• I'm sorry. I no longer have the pictures. Wish I did. If you are interested the best way to look up a decker would be milton deckers lines or fire mountain deckers. Those are the original lines. The NRTA are not the original lines. Those are strains. I noticed that people confuse deckers for basenjis, usually the tri colors. I look at my basenjis and my decker and can tell the difference right away from the tail, size and head and my decker ranges between 55-65 pounds. Be interesting if you did a DNA test. I'm curious and it's not even my dog. Lol

• If he drives you crazy and up the wall but you still love and adore him, can't do without him then you know he is a Basenji.....just a look into his eyes tells me there is Basenji in him.....have fun with him.

• [link text](~~

• link url~~))

• @kembe said in Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?:

[link text](~~[strikethrough text](![link url](image url))

• link url~~))

[link text](link url)

• list item

• Kembe, are you trying to post a link to a picture (hotlink a picture that is on line)? Or upload a picture from your computer? If the former, your url needs to be within the second set of brackets when you click on formatting picture. You can ignore the square brackets and use the round ones, like this. (your url)

If you want to upload a picture, use the upload button (second from right) and browse to the picture on your computer. Careful the file isn't too big!

• @eeeefarm
    Yes, I was trying to upload a photo of a rat terrier that does look very much like a basenji (except for the tail). I was not having any success! Lol

• @zande - Tails are typically au naturel...... on Deckers

• @kembe said in Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?:

@eeeefarm
    Yes, I was trying to upload a photo of a rat terrier that does look very much like a basenji (except for the tail). I was not having any success! Lol

Upload from your computer? If so, make sure the file isn't too large and use the second to the right icon at the top of the compose window. That should open a browse pop up and allow you to choose the file. (you can downsize the file with any decent photo program, work on a copy, don't overwrite your original!)

• @tanza said in Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?:

@zande - Tails are typically au naturel...... on Deckers

So they don't have longer curled tails. Very interesting little dogs. Basenji influence is obvious. I'm sorry to go off topic and happy to continue this on private email.
    But I have to ask why Basenjis were bred with them. To achieve just what ?
    Basenjis were bred at Jackson Laboratoriies, Bar Harbor Maine for research and among other findings the similarity of the kidney juxtaposition to that of humans was established. I'm away from my computer at the moment so can't look up all I would like to. But this is a fascinating subject I should like to pursue

• Easy way to measure the height of a dog. Stand alongside it and make a chalk mark on your legs/pants/skirt

I do that when judging- have a mark at correct standard height and can see immediately if an exhibit exceeds it.

• @zande - No idea Zande why Basenjis were used... was a long time ago....

• @emca11 I have to say, I never knew of Deckers before this post. Whatever he turns out to be, that’s one awesome dog and for $20 you got an absolute bargain.

• Thank you all for your insight, this is all very interesting. He has traits of both. His coat is more Basenji in coloring and he doesnt have the splotches or spots that most of the Deckers have. His ears are quite large and he lays with his legs splayed behind him 99% of the time like a Decker but doesnt have an aggressive bone in his body. He loves our three small kids and our other dog, an older schnauzer/lab mix. He's not food aggressive with us or other dog. You can take treats and toys right out of his mouth. He does awesome in his crate at night. Once inside he doesnt make a sound and sleeps through the night. No trying to break out of it. He HATES getting a bath. My goodness, you would think I was trying to skin him alive the way he thrashed about, like a large fish being reeled in, trying to break the line. No wet dog smell, and I have seen his little tail curl up and to the side sometimes, although it usually just wags back and forth like crazy. I just got him neutered yesterday and invested a small fortune in chew toys, but when I get some money to spare I'll order a test and update you all. Thanks again.

• @emca11 - Regardless.... he is a lovely boy... enjoy

• @emca11 said in Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?:

a single high pitched, shrill bark once.

That would be his "ouch"!

• What ever he is, love him to death and enjoy...
    Stafford-Ames Morse

Suggested Topics