• I volunteer at my county's animal shelter and though they are not "No Kill" they do not euthanize adoptable dogs as long as they have room in the shelter. They work hard with foster homes and rescue to do everything they can so that they are below capacity. When we first started volunteering there, there were dogs who had already been in the shelter for over 3 months. Now we only have 1 dog there that has been there since the first week we started.

• That's so sad. I mean the part of them not having a home but luckily I'm sure they get lots of love and affection from those working there.

• Us working there has been a good thing for the dogs. They are getting adopted and their new owners have someone to contact if they are having problems. The reason why I volunteer is to help the dogs to be more adoptable and the adoptions to work out so the dogs have forever homes. Some of the dogs we have worked with and helped to get adopted are now in the obedience classes that I take my own dogs to so I get to see how they are doing in their new homes.

• very nice. You r doing a great thing.

• Well North Shore contacted me with a generic message stating that the pets listed are a representation of the dogs and may or may not be available. The best way to find out is to go to the shelter personally. Not very helpful but what can you do. Good way to get ppl down there though.

• Luzmery-That is exactly what they told me. I am disappointed. The whole idea is to get these animals adopted into loving homes. They really should be more considerate. Especially the fact that there are plenty of people who do not live nearby or have their heart set on one particular animal. Have you been looking at the petfinder website? Is your heart set on another basenji?
    Good luck. Jodie

• Yes I Look Everywhere. Unfortunantly We Have Become Spoiled And Do Only Want A Basenji. Plus Our Landlord Did Say It Was O.k For Us To Get Another Dog As Long As He Is Quiet Too. Honestly We Took Care Of Another Dog For A Weekend And That Barking Had Us Going Nuts. Champ Has Ruined It For Any Other Breed. They Really Are Remarkable Dogs.

• I agree wholeheartedly. I had a lab mix from North Shore for 11 years. I loved Lucy dearly..she was a phenomenal dog, however, her barking drove us crazy. I will keep my ears and eyes open with all the local animal shelters in Staten Island. Again, good luck!
    Jodie:)

• thanks. We are keeping our fingers crossed that it will happen sooner than later.

• @phoenix3:

Looks like a B to me but i think more of a B mix he looks like he has corse hair Maybe be has the size of a cattledog body and a basenji head πŸ™‚

My Aspen is a cattledog/ terrier mix he has the body of a cattledog {the colors} and the height and face of a terrier heres a pic so u can see the colors of the cattledog well one color anyways πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

phoenix3 - this is Aspen? I'm so amazed at her spots, because my Daisy has spots like Aspens. We know her mother is pure R/W Basenji and she is thought her other half Beagle. One of her other litter mate moms thought Blue Healer (cattledog). But I subscribed to the Beagle. Daisy could be … Cattle Dog I suppose. She's bigger than Duke now at almost 9 months old. I will show her off soon on "Show Off" forum soon.

Suggested Topics