• I would really like a Basenji but I’m not sure if he/she will be happy here. I currently live in Duabi (you may know that it’s BOILING 🥵 here) and I’ll be out at work for 9 or 10 hours a day so the dog will be home alone with air conditioning and maybe in a crate , I’m not too sure yet. When I get back home I will also have additional work and in the weekend I’ll probably be out for half of the day. Obviously after work I’ll spend time with her/him but I’m not sure if they will be happy. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out / tell me from your experience if the dog will be happy with my environment and daily routine. Would you guys suggest I get one knowing that I’m busy or do you think a basenji isn’t such a good idea for me and my timetable? And is a basenji easy to house train?do they bite and rip up furniture?

• In a word, "no"! Basenjis do not thrive on being alone, they are very social dogs. And yes, left to their own devices they will definitely rip up furniture or belongings. Keeping a dog in a crate for so many hours is just cruel, so unless you want to invest in doggie daycare, you should absolutely not be getting a Basenji (or any dog, for that matter). Maybe an older, settled cat for company?

• I say no. I don’t think you have extra time much less for a dog. You will end up with a urine covered dog that is stressed and miserable.
    Maybe you could Pet sit on your days off.

• No, they need lots of love and attention, with that many hours gone it’s better to get fish.

• I say "no" - these dogs require so much attention and thrive on social contact. You need to be there to constantly reinforce positive behavior and let them know you are there to take care of them.

• Before you get a Basenji, go to a State Dog show. Toalk to Basenji owners and also get in touch with the Evergreen Basenji Club, 645 South Center, Seattle, WA 98188. Buy their Basenji Owners Manual

Stafford-Ames Morse
    0_1542582275736_BasenjiPurebredDogPukkanutWelcomeNuggetKoa6YearsOld.jpg

• Don't worry about how hot it is where you live. Basenji are Center African dog . If you have a fireplace, you will find your Basenji almost on the coals.
    They also like the snow, you will see them putting their nose into it and running around.
    0_1542582835057_Koa and his awards.jpg
    Only one red ribbon. Basenji group up after lunch and the judge after his sandwich smoked..... First up was my Koa, The judge grabed Koa's nose area to check his teeth and Koa yanked back on the table.
    Stafford-Ames Morse - Oregon
    [removed email address]

• @lovedogs No, I agree with the other posts, ten hours a day is way too long to crate a Basenji. They need companionship, mental stimulation and excercise. You would likely end up with a very frustrated dog that would develope behaviour problems.

• Go to the Zande website, and included there are some material about getting a Basenji, or not. It does not sound like your environment is right for a Basenji. The temperature upto 34C is okay, but after that they start looking for shade and the cooler spots. When it is hot here, above 40C, the older girl I have will walk, but when there is some shade she will lay down until she is ready before moving on. They are in control, and let you pamper to their needs, but they are definitely trainable.

• @lovedogs
    I'm not a breeder but I've had 5 Basenjis in my life over the past 40 years. I don't think this is the right time in your life to have a dog (let alone a Basenji) with your busy and hectic schedule. It's unreasonable to crate any dog for 9 hours a day. They will be bored and miserable and will quickly show you how fast they can destroy an apartment or house! Even with doggy day care, you just don't have enough time in your life right now for a dog. An older cat might work but you would have to check with cat lovers and find the right cat. If you are a true dog lover, perhaps you could volunteer at a local shelter or doggy day care to get your "fix" of doggy love. When your schedule loosens up, there will be time for a dog - but still maybe not a Basenji- in your life. Good luck and stay in touch with the wonderful people on this site as they have the dog's best interest in mind at all times.

• @lovedogs said in should I get a basenji?:

I’ll be out at work for 9 or 10 hours a day so the dog will be home alone with air conditioning and maybe in a crate

In a Word - NO !

These are pack animals and to submit one to the life you describe would be cruel in the extreme.

• While adult dogs sleep up to 17 hrs a day, Basenjis want to sleep with someone. My girl will sleep next to my computer or on the sofa where she can watch me. When my daughter is here, if she takes a nap, Cara follows her to bed. She goes with me to bed at night. She just needs a human. So 9 hrs a day work, more work when you get home... the only way you could make it work is to get up an hour early and really take her for a run, training and stimulation, same when you got home, another hour before bedtime. It wouldn't be ideal, but okay. But how can you commit 14 hrs a day to work/afterwork/dog 7 days a week, 365 a year and have any time for yourself?

If there is a shelter with a geriatric dog that needs a home, maybe. But it needs to be a less social and far less destructive one.

• I have found that if a basenji is left alone for long periods, it will FIND something to do, many times not what we would call good dog behavior. In a crate, in my experience, that has been screaming (sometimes I\we wish they would just bark!) One can only imagine how it will find something to do if left alone in a home.

That being said, I think it's FANTASTIC that you are asking this question now. If asked AFTER you got a basenji, it would probably result in an unhappy basenji.

I would not rule out a B forever, but maybe someday your life will accommodate the quirks of the breed better, and you and the B will spend many many, happy years together.

• @njdeb
    Completely AGREE!

• Basenjis are wonderful dogs....I think they are the best!!!! But you are better to wait until you can give a dog (any dog) the love and attention they crave. When your schedule allows you to really have the time to walk your Basenji, play with him/her, sleep with him/her and just enjoy their antics in general, THAT is the time to get a fabulous Basenji pet. Right now, the Basenji won't be happy so neither will you. But I promise that those of us who love Basenjis will do our best to help you get your dream pet when your schedule permits. Please stay in touch!!!! And I hope your schedule slows a little---it sounds like you need more play time!!!!

• Thank you all so much for helping me out☺️ If I get a basenji i will definitely have a day care just when I made the post I was a bit unsure if that was an option. Since you guys don’t think that my schedule will fit for a basenji do you know any other day that doesn’t bark, can stay in realllyyyyyyy hot weather and can fit my schedule

• If you are determined to have a dog, I would absolutely rule out a puppy. You simply don't have the time to do it justice. Perhaps an older, settled dog that wouldn't mind sleeping the day away while you are at work. Possibly a retired Greyhound? They are generally quiet, and contrary to what you might think, don't require a lot of exercise. It's also a breed that does well in the heat.

• Honestly, with your schedule... to just be blunt, it would be selfish to take almost any dog other than a geriatric one. Even that is a bit sad to have them alone most of the time. Many dogs do not enjoy doggy daycare. The idea that dogs are children in dog suits and need lots of playmates isn't real.

I am glad you are asking, but it seems your WANTING a dog totally outweighs your willingness to hear that your life right now isn't really good for a dog.

• @debradownsouth said in should I get a basenji?:

it would be selfish to take almost any dog other than a geriatric one

Or a stuffed one ! Why anyone would even contemplate introducing any dog, let alone a Basenji, into a life such as described, is completely beyond me.

I hope no breeder would consider selling a puppy into this environment - I know I never would. I expect my puppy people to give the pups a good, loving, caring, attentative environment.

Dogs are NOT toys you can put back in the cupboard when they interfere with your life style - so a stuffed one which could go back into the cupboard would be the best option

• When I got my first Basenji I was on the rebound from having to put down our family Sheltie. I wanted a dog so badly, and when I saw a Basenji advertised in the paper I just had to have her! Val and I had some good times, but I was in my early twenties, raging hormones and all that, and I came to know that between work and a social life, I wasn't able to provide her with all that she needed. I was still living at home, so she was not being left alone for long periods of time, but once I came to the realization that I couldn't do her justice I started looking for a solution to the problem. Val loved children, and I was fortunate enough to find her a home with 3 kids, whom she adored. I kept in touch, and she was happy to see me when I visited, but she loved those kids and I doubt she would have traded them for a life with me, even though she loved the freedom of going to the barn and accompanying me on rides through the countryside. Her new family had a cottage on an island, where she got the freedom she desired.

Long story short, what we want passionately may not be what we should have. Fortunately I recognized that and was able to rectify my mistake to the benefit of both myself and my dog. Had no appropriate family been available, of course I would have kept Val and done right by her, but I doubt either of us would have been as happy with the result. Word to the wise: wait until the time is right, even if you really, really want a dog now. It may save you both a lot of grief.

Suggested Topics