Anyone have tips on how to get a Basenji to stop chewing?

• First Basenji's

My Basenji is constantly chewing on anything he can get a hold of, including me. I have a ton of toys scattered thru the house for him to chew. But he won?t stop finding things that he would rather chew. Then he wants to play a game of chase for me to retrieve the item from him. Since he is super fast it?s almost hopeless.

• A little more information would be useful. How old is he? How long have you had him? If he is a puppy, have you consulted his breeder about your problem? (if he is a puppy, I would consider this pretty normal behaviour, but you need to consistently correct him and guide him gently to act appropriately)

• My girl Pipet used to chew everything and my grandmother (all of 100 year's old) told me her mother used to squeeze a piece of grapefruit rhind (spell check) or skin onto what a dog was chewing. I tried it and within a day she was so disgusted she stopped….the other thing I added to the process was her favorite "Bully Stick" chew......Spray the thing she is chewing and then engage her chew play with the stick.....it took a couple of day's but she stopped chewing stuff. She stops chewing if she sees a grapefruit! GOOD LUCK in whatever you try.

@Stan's:

My Basenji is constantly chewing on anything he can get a hold of, including me. I have a ton of toys scattered thru the house for him to chew. But he won?t stop finding things that he would rather chew. Then he wants to play a game of chase for me to retrieve the item from him. Since he is super fast it?s almost hopeless.

• With puppies, I have traded them the inappropriate item for an appropriate item. This method does work but you have to be persistent and they do often go back to the inappropriate item at first. With my current pup, 18 weeks old, I am teaching him tug. He would much rather engage in a game of tug than continue to chew on the inappropriate objects because he is able to have my attention while tugging. Susan Garrett has a good blog about tug but I cannot get it to open right now.

• Ohhh get him some Bully sticks! B's like to chew….a lot!

• I get mine from bestbullysticks.com
    Literally, they've been a god send…he gets one a day and I get at least a a half hour of peace, it also seems to curb any chewing due to boredom ( when it rains!) or satisfies him enough to where he's not diving for my throw pillows!

• @Chealsie508:

I get mine from bestbullysticks.com
    Literally, they've been a god send…he gets one a day and I get at least a a half hour of peace, it also seems to curb any chewing due to boredom ( when it rains!) or satisfies him enough to where he's not diving for my throw pillows!

Really? One a day? What size do you get?….. I get the biggest, thickest available... they are not able to "eat" the entire thing....

And continue to try and get things that they should not have, is an indication that they are trying to engage the human in play... if no other dogs in the household.....

• I get the 6" standard or 6" thick… I swear it used to take him longer.... Fifteen to thirty minutes is average...
    I agree continuing to grab things is usually more about antagonizing you to get up and engage... In my particular case all four of my couch pillows have holes and he's just obsessed with the fluff, diving on them squishes the fluff out so he can grab it...he would do this even half asleep, I e just come to accept it

• I don't get mine bully sticks, they are done with them in 10 minutes flat, even very thick, long ones and if I am really unlucky will swallow the end before I can get it and then puke it back up in the middle of the night.

• @lvoss:

I don't get mine bully sticks, they are done with them in 10 minutes flat, even very thick, long ones and if I am really unlucky will swallow the end before I can get it and then puke it back up in the middle of the night.

So true about the ends and puking them up in the middle of the night. Been there done that!! I just ordered some from the Canadian site and I will let all us Canucks know what they are like when I get them. Mine can go thru a thick one in about an hour or so. I will usually only give them one if they are totally bored and are making me angry! Usually they are outside as soon as we get home and on the weekends they are outside all day if it is nice and when they come in they are so tired they don't even want to get up when we are eating supper!

• Our dogs like bully sticks also, but our preference it to give them Marrowbone. Marrowbone is healthy and less expensive than bully sticks. We have been very lucky that we still have places that butcher cows. Lately our local butcher has been cutting up Marrowbone and just giving it to us for our dogs. Last trip there they gave us 8 lbs. If you have a puppy who is teething, we have even seen 1/2 of a frozen bagel used.

We do not know if your dog is a puppy or not, but as ours were teething sometimes in their attempt to be affectionate or get us to play they would mouth us. We do not think they were intentionally attempting to bite or hurt us but they are in learning mode. So in reaction to this we would push our hands in their mouths and tell them no bite. This worked for us, but we have no idea of your situation.

If the are chewing on something inappropriate, sometimes we do what lvoss does and take away the item correct them and give them a chew toy or bone, or sometimes we will put tea tree oil on an item to discourage chewing on it. Of course you have to make sure your dog dislikes the smell of tea tree oil LOL. Another method is to use a squirt gun. Correct them first, give them a chance to stop, and then squirt them. We always use a verbal command first. When our dogs see the squirt gun, they both know that we are not happy with their behavior and they need to stop what they are doing.

A quick search of the web should give you several good articles and suggestions when it comes to dealing with chewing problem.

Our older Basenji sticks to his chew toys, and bones. Our 5 month female Basenji appears to be following his lead. We have magazines in our bathrooms and books and magazines on our coffee table. Both dogs leave them be, as well as cords and shoes. If we wear a long sleeve shirt they will try to groom us but of course this is not biting. We simply stop them and tell them no.

From our experience we know that feeding our dogs good quality dog food can make a difference in their behavior.

Last but least, a good exercise regiment consisting of taking your Basenji on a long walk with you ever day will really make a difference it their willingness to respond to you and their behavior. We are aware that there are owners who just put their dogs out in their fenced yard and let them run, but this is not the same as going for a walk with them. Walking with them is bonding time for both you and the dog. Its good for your health and good for their behavior.

• I buy 12 inch 'sticks, thick ones, and then toss the last 2 inches to prevent the 3 am barf. My guys are older and the sticks last for several days. They would be too expensive if they ate them in an hour!

Suggested Topics