Skip to content

Has Anyone had a Basenji this vocal?

Basenji Talk
  • So this isn't my video nor is it my dog. But I'm curious and I want to ask breeders and folks who have owned several Basenjis. Have you ever had a dog this vocal? My goodness, I wonder what's bothering her

    https://www.facebook.com/100005453346725/videos/554974698878632/

  • I had one who vocalised in the ring. He was eventually dual champion, GB/IR, but he taught himself to recognise those red rosettes indicating a class win. And you could almost pick out the syllables 'Yes, I was clever. Yes, I got a red !'

    It wasn't a crow or a yodel, it was positively syllabic - conversational almost.

    The Basenji in the video is vocalising exactly like all my boys have done over the years - mostly at 2 in the morning when they wanted sex.

    As soon as the girls showed any signs of seasons, the boys were banished to a des-res (desirable residence) up in the orchard with access to walks in a completely different direct to that followed by the girls who remained in the house.

    I put a nursery alarm into the large garden shed we used as a kennel on these occasions so as to share the pain of the rest of the village. . .

    It was a relief when the girls dried up and the three boys came back into the house. Not only for me but for all the neighbours !

  • @rhughes89 said in Has Anyone had a Basenji this vocal?:

    Have you ever had a dog this vocal?

    Oh yes! My boy Sunny would vocalize on cue, and even if you picked him up he would continue until he was done. I have video somewhere of him howling while being held upside down.

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    P
    @ktiefen1 You would be correct!! Potty Training eventually came easy because ours is so treat motivated....lol. Basic obedience is a challenge for us......ahe is definitely her own girl....and please dont disturb her sleep. You could lose a limb. ::)))))
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Anyone have tips on how to get a Basenji to stop chewing?

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    12k Views
    MacPackM
    I buy 12 inch 'sticks, thick ones, and then toss the last 2 inches to prevent the 3 am barf. My guys are older and the sticks last for several days. They would be too expensive if they ate them in an hour!
  • Could she be a basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    23k Views
    W
    @Thana: she does have basenji characteristics then apart from her colours and looks.- i also think she must have some basenji blood! She is lovely and lucky no matter what! adorable little face:))))) Having read about the characteristics I think she does. The lady with the basenji that we met also commented on some of the things she was doing as "very basenji" (eg. standing on her back legs so she could see what was going on). Has a lovely wrinkly forehead too. Got very frustrated with me earlier and did her funny bark, more of a wierd howl really. She is def one of a kind. Its a shame we have to have her spayed (not that I could ever justify letting her have a litter).
  • 0 Votes
    21 Posts
    13k Views
    V
    As an alternative to Booties, you could try a paw wax. I haven't tried it but its been recommended to me before. Protects from the salt damaging the paws. Here is a link to a brand I have seen. http://musherssecret.net/
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!