Skip to content

Has Anyone had a Basenji this vocal?

Basenji Talk
  • So this isn't my video nor is it my dog. But I'm curious and I want to ask breeders and folks who have owned several Basenjis. Have you ever had a dog this vocal? My goodness, I wonder what's bothering her

    https://www.facebook.com/100005453346725/videos/554974698878632/

  • I had one who vocalised in the ring. He was eventually dual champion, GB/IR, but he taught himself to recognise those red rosettes indicating a class win. And you could almost pick out the syllables 'Yes, I was clever. Yes, I got a red !'

    It wasn't a crow or a yodel, it was positively syllabic - conversational almost.

    The Basenji in the video is vocalising exactly like all my boys have done over the years - mostly at 2 in the morning when they wanted sex.

    As soon as the girls showed any signs of seasons, the boys were banished to a des-res (desirable residence) up in the orchard with access to walks in a completely different direct to that followed by the girls who remained in the house.

    I put a nursery alarm into the large garden shed we used as a kennel on these occasions so as to share the pain of the rest of the village. . .

    It was a relief when the girls dried up and the three boys came back into the house. Not only for me but for all the neighbours !

  • @rhughes89 said in Has Anyone had a Basenji this vocal?:

    Have you ever had a dog this vocal?

    Oh yes! My boy Sunny would vocalize on cue, and even if you picked him up he would continue until he was done. I have video somewhere of him howling while being held upside down.

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    L
    Thanks Don C
  • Basenji or...not?

    Basenji Talk
    26
    1 Votes
    26 Posts
    26k Views
    HeidiAceH
    @debradownsouth Thanks you so much. We'll give it a try.
  • Anyone have tips on how to get a Basenji to stop chewing?

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    12k Views
    MacPackM
    I buy 12 inch 'sticks, thick ones, and then toss the last 2 inches to prevent the 3 am barf. My guys are older and the sticks last for several days. They would be too expensive if they ate them in an hour!
  • 0 Votes
    21 Posts
    13k Views
    V
    As an alternative to Booties, you could try a paw wax. I haven't tried it but its been recommended to me before. Protects from the salt damaging the paws. Here is a link to a brand I have seen. http://musherssecret.net/
  • Does your Basenji…

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    12k Views
    Capt_Jack_our_BasenjiC
    OMG, TRUST me…its not only ur baby, Jack has some seporation anxiety, i mean, we rescued him so that may be why, but i Always feel so sad when we leave him, he runs to the window and crys when we leave, but i KNOW it wonly lasts until he cant see us anymore (driving away) my neighbor watched for me. but SOMETIMES he does get into things when we leave for too long. like the other day, when he ate my betta fish food...grr...