• Wow those pics are absolutely beautiful!!! If you are looking at possibly selling them I would definately be interested in one of them. Congrats on your find!

• All of you have been so wonderfully helpful. I can't thank you enough. I would not have done the right thing. Now I will. And, again, I will post when I have found out more. @wizard:

I agree with LindaH. I work in a museum (natural history not art) and you need to contact someone who restores paintings not just a framer. You have a wonderful find and something that can be passed down for generations to come. But they need to be properly cared for. I don't know anyone in Florida but you could contact the Midwest Art Conservation Center for help: info@preserveart.org or their website: http://www.preserveart.org/

• Thank you for appreciating the prints. My son is eager to have them hang in his room, so we will most likely keep them.:) Thanks, though.@krunzer:

Wow those pics are absolutely beautiful!!! If you are looking at possibly selling them I would definately be interested in one of them. Congrats on your find!

• Wow, they are great!

• Most of the prints I have seen included some color on some small part of some of the subjects. The color appeared hand done as the ones I have and others I have seen do not have the same colors, but usually the same areas were colored. If they are signed they could be very valuable. Not something to be treated lightly.

• I should have included this in my first post.

Do they have a bamboo type frame around them?

• the prints are lovely and realy interesting. Good luck having them restored and enjoy them

• First Basenji's

Wow, I was just reading everyone's input and knowledgeable input at that! Those prints are so neat a find! I find that the depiction of the Basenji is so close to what we can see in our domesticated breed of today. My husband (who I don't give enough credit to sometimes….)even saw how the legs on the B on the guy's shoulder were extended straight out- Love the detail, and as B owners, we all can appreciate the detail I am sure!

• @Brushyrun:

I should have included this in my first post.

Do they have a bamboo type frame around them?

Gee, I don't know. I just went and looked at the frames. Actually they could be bamboo. They are very hard and dense, so hard I thought they were a colored plastic. But there is a grain, and whoever framed them had them framed with non-glare glass. I would think if they had them framed by a frame shop and used non-glare glass, they wouldn't use plastic frames. Does it mean anything if the frame is bamboo? Only one of the four is signed. And the signature is so faded that I couldn't make it out until CongoMama told me who had done them.

• I forget the years that the original prints were advertised for sale, but they were sold in sets of four and they were offered unframed and framed. I may be remembering wrong but I believe they were advertised for $15.00 for the set of four or $25.00 for the set of four framed. Obviously that was MANY years ago. I believe the framed ones were framed in bamboo or a bamboo look alike. That is why I asked about the frames.

If they are originals they are definately coveted by many people and worth quite a lot, so please take care with them.

• The artists full name is John Fulton Short (Congomama - note the correct spelling of Fulton), Short being the third name you can not make out Holly.

You can read about him here:

http://johnfultonmatador.com/biography.html

Pretty interesting life, IMO.

I will scour my old Bulletin and/or BASENJI issues to see if I can learn more.

• Thanks for sharing, will post on the basenji group Mexico, of FB, hope you dont mine 🙂
    Very lovely pictures!

• First Basenji's

hi, how fasinating…..........you certainly did stike gold.THEY ARE WONDERFUL and very interesting, we too are fairly new to basenjis we have a lovely boy wing co short for wing commander. he is a joy..
    thanks for sharing theas picyures..

• I am sure you can sell them for a nice bit of $$ if you decide not to keep them..but why wouldn't you want them for your family?
    Good care of these artworks will keep their value for many years to come.

• I have a full set of four prints. They are numbered 36/100. They have never been framed nor have they been subject to sunlight. The colors are still splendid.
    I started out with Basenji in the late 50's and 60's. My parents bought our first puppy from the Belmont-Ward kennels. Our first little girl was Tina; bought as pet quality but getting her CH within 6 months. I, at a young age and my parents as well were friends with Damera Bolte, breading with one of her Sires.
    I live in Denver, Colorado and would be interested in letting the prints go to a good home who would appreciates the quality and who would know that they are making an offer for rare, fine quality prints.

• Can you send us a photo of each of the prints please?

• This is a pic of all four together. I will also get the camera ready and take each individually.
    attachment_p_149732_0_barn-007.jpg

• I would be interested in those.

• Information in next post.

• @50's:

I have a full set of four prints. They are numbered 36/100. They have never been framed nor have they been subject to sunlight. The colors are still splendid.
    I started out with Basenji in the late 50's and 60's. My parents bought our first puppy from the Belmont-Ward kennels. Our first little girl was Tina; bought as pet quality but getting her CH within 6 months. I, at a young age and my parents as well were friends with Damera Bolte, breading with one of her Sires.
    I live in Denver, Colorado and would be interested in letting the prints go to a good home who would appreciates the quality and who would know that they are making an offer for rare, fine quality prints.

You're a very new member to this forum, just this month. Yes, I am interested in the pictures, but at this time of year there are a lot of scams going around. I hope you understand that. There would have to be some way for you to verify you have these prints. So, despite being interested in these, I am a little hesitant.

Suggested Topics