Adenocarcinoma cancer
  • 0
  • S

    Red is 9 years old. Several weeks ago she started vomiting after eating and then within the last week she stopped eating completely. Up until this, she has been very healthy and active. Other than not eating or eating then vomiting, no other symptoms occured. I took her to my vet where they did a complete blood work up. All was negative. The vet put her on an antibiotic and antiacid pills. A week later no change so I took her to another vet for a second opinion. I was sent the next day to a specialist. The specialist conducted an ultrasound then performed surgery to get a better look at what might be going on. An hour into the surgery I was told that she had adenocarcinoma cancer. :( Apparently there is no cure for this cancer. I am struggling on what to do. The Surgeon stated that she has no pain with this cancer and my options are…do nothing and she has about 2 months to live as long as I can get her to eat. Do chemo even though this will not cure her but would possibly provide her with an additional 4 months. I know at the end of the day I will have to put her to sleep. But i'm struggling on what to do. When is the right time? I don't want to let her go too soon but also want to do what's best for her. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this...looking for some guidance.

  • 0
  • So sorry to hear about your girl. I can only give you what I would do. The expense to gain a couple of months, in my opinion is not really worth it, again, my opinion only. I would keep her as comfortable as possible, keep her happy and enjoy every minute you have with her. She will tell you when it is time. Mine did…..

  • 0
  • S

    I would give her the best quality of life she can have, in the time left.
    She doesn't know she is sick, so just enjoy each day with her.
    That is what I did with my sick b.

  • 0
  • I am really sorry to hear about Red. I am sure lots of us have been in much the same position at one time or another, and what you decide to do is really a very personal choice - only you can decide what is going to make her last few months with you the best they can be.
    I lost one of my dobes to stomach cancer a few years back, and i opted NOT to treat with chemo - we simply brought her home and made sure she had the best few months we could possibly give her - then when the time came gave her peace with her family around her. I think given the same set of circumstances i would do the same again. If cure was a possibility then sure consider Chemo, but if its just prolonging the inevitable, then it does need you to think about whats going to be best for Red.

    best wishes - whatever you decide.
    Scott

  • 0
  • Our girl Tasha developed liver cancer at 12, we tried Chemo and she died 6 days after her first treatement in a lot of pain, we think the chemo made the pain worse, not better. We will not do chemo again for our pets. Wishing you the best at this most difficult time.

  • 0
  • I am so sorry. :( I agree with the rest, you have to do what you think is best.

    Would I treat with chemo? No. If they told me chance of LONG remission, a year or more.. probably/maybe. But months? No, I just wouldn't.

  • 0
  • Oh no… I am so sorry this is happening to you and your basenji. Nine years of age seems so young... blasted cancer!

    We lost my heart cat to cancer last November. We could have tried some heroic measures, but they would have only been for US, not for Barney. We lovingly made the decision to go no further with treatment, but instead treated him like the angel he was for his last month. And as others have mentioned, they DO tell you when it is time.

    My sincerest condolences.

  • 0
  • S

    My Senja was diagnosed Jan. 18, 2014 with diabetes. After over 2 months on insulin and more tests she was still getting worse, losing weight, not eating and vomiting orange stuff. I took her to a more advanced Vet/Hospital and she had more test, x-rays and an ultrasound. The new vet found a large mass connected near the bile duct and pancreatic duct going to the stomach. He said it couldn't be removed. I tried some meds including the insulin for a few days then quit them all. She hasn't vomited and has been eating various foods and treats. She is still very thin and is now drinking lots of water. I'm wondering if I should give her insulin again if it would do any good. I know she doesn't have much time left, I just want her to feel as good as possible. I have a pain medication suspended in a gel to give orally when or if she seems to need it, but hasn't so far, it will make her sleep a lot. Guess you all know how heartbreaking this is and part of me wishes I would have gotten the second opinion right away in January.

  • 8
    Posts
  • 2155
    Views
  • Log in to reply