Skip to content

He thought I wouldn't notice…

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Basenjis Don't Fear Noise?

    Basenji Talk
    19
    1 Votes
    19 Posts
    6k Views
    P
    I've been involved with Basenjis for many years and can only remember one occasion where one Basenji was startled by one particular noise ( ice cream mixer van starting up), otherwise they seem completely immune to noises even the loudest ones. Of course there will always be the odd exception.
  • I have ''issues'' with my basenji, can you help ?

    Basenji Talk
    33
    0 Votes
    33 Posts
    28k Views
    YodelMaY
    Ladybasenji, where are you in Quebec? Montreal? We have a place in Gatineau (Aylmer sector) and one of my dogs might even be related to yours. You're experiences with your girl remind me so much of my first basenji, about 20 years ago–it gets easier, I swear! Let me know if you'd like help with Lady--they're nothing like labs and will never be "obedient" but there are tricks for training them : D
  • I can't stop this feeling!!!!

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    dmeyD
    I know.. time flies … already two and a half....... You are so right,, i guess the thing is I am envisioning a bit of a change in my living situation, where I may move to a bigger place and also maybe have the possibility of going to the mountains on a regular basis. This may or may not happen, but I guess I will know this year. If that happens then I definitely will want another.
  • I Can't Believe My Ears

    Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    6k Views
    supermanS
    @sharronhurlbut: My basenji girl always shows me up. When I am walking the dogs, folks come over and say "oh, are those the barkless dogs?" My girl ALWAYS gives one of her warning BARKS when they say this. Laugh. I tell the folks yes, they are barkless, except for my girl! So, then discussion starts, and I explain how they are not MUTE. But my girl gets me everytime! That's so funny considering we have the opposite experience. Manny baroooos like crazy at home but when we're in public and we want him to do it, he doesnt. Go figure. They have a mind of their own.
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!
  • My Cat Isn't That Brite

    Basenji Talk
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    DukeD
    Oh, I think the cat will realize her limitations as Chance's growth progresses. Right now, the banter is tolerable for both, otherwise this play wouldn't be possible. Atleast cat realizes she can escape over the baby gate. She'll only get better at it. Think of it as good practice for both. Hopefully! :D