I am Maria from Florida and I have acquired a half Basenji/Mini Pincher in Sept.
My dog at the time weighed 32 pds. I got it at a shelter and had just put my first dog to sleep about a week and a half before. My husband and I were in grief and he wanted a new dog right away.
I had decided on a smaller dog. Little did we know that our female was half Basenji. All we knew was that she was a hound mix.
My husband had taken the dog for her first shots to the vet and met up with a women who owned basenjis. She had told my husband that the dog was half and half. Her hound status was of the Doberman family.
After living with this dog for over four months did I notice remarkable feats that this dog can do.
1. She barks and whines.
2. She can jump over a 8 ft. fence.
3. She jumps on her hind legs to look around and walks backwards.
4. She doesn't run like a regular dog, she runs around like a deer. She runs very fast and now we got a harness for her.
5. She has cropped or drop ears, not the tipped like most Basenjis.
6. She had at one time started cleaning herself like a cat.
7. Her tail is long and not curled.
8. When she barks, it not howling or yodeling.
9. She is a peanut color with red background. She had a lot of white underneath her belly and long legs.
My question is -
Now that she weighs over 42 pds. Is she a real Basenji or just another mixed hound with Doberman.