Hiya! I'm BasenjiLuv! Can You Tell Me About This Website?

• This is a GREAT time for you to get on the forums & get some advice & tips.
    I think the number one thing anybody here will tell you is to make sure you are buying from a responsible breeder. Responsible breeders are usually active in conformation (dog shows), or other performance activities (lure coursing, agility, rally, obedience, therapy, etc). They health test (Fanconi, hips, eyes, thyroid) before they breed any of their animals to ensure the puppies will be free of some common, preventable health problems. They have a contract, and they will always take your puppy back if it does not fit in your household for some reason. They will ask to meet you, sometimes more than once, before they allow a puppy to go home with you.
    The best thing you can do for your future puppy is make sure it has the best possible start in life… many on here can tell you horror stories about getting basenjis from pet stores, etc.
    A responsible breeder will also help you determine if a basenji is the right breed for you. They are very cute, very fun to live with, and very special. However, they have some weird quirks, can be difficult to live with, and are not the right dog for everybody.
    Welcome to the forum!!! You will find a LOT of great information here, and lots of friendly, welcoming basenji owners!

• Who is the breeder that you are on a reservation list with? Many of us here are related by our Basenjis

• Welcome to the forum and good for you coming onto here to get your information first.
    Rita Jean is quite right when she says they are a handfull and not the Dog for everyone, by searching the forum you will find out all about them, warts and all 😉
    Good advice from Andrew about responsible breeders.
    When are you hoping to get your Pup ?

• A really nice website to help you and your family learn a lot about basenji:
    http://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Owner/indexCO.html

And welcome!

• Welcome to the forum! Please listen to all the great advices you get here 😉

• My family has a two basenjis before, we know a lot about the breed. Our breeder is Glen Glazek (I don't think I spelled his last name right) and he has been breeding for quite a while. They are pure breed puppies, and good quality, too.:)

• I agree with Rita Jean - be sure you know as much about the breed as is possible - they are quite an experience for someone who has not owned them before. Fortunately, they also worm their way into your heart real quick so you will put up with things you never thought you could! Good that your family has had them before, that probably means you can get a break now and then when your people will "puppysit!"

• We have had TWO basenjis before this one!

• Glenn Glazek, XXXXNocturnal KennelXXXX (edited note: meant Sun Dance, glanced back at wrong ad), is not part of the Basenji club and in fact the ONLY info is a pretty puppymillish ad. Please please PLEASE ask your family to go to the basenji org breeder referral list for a responsible breeder!

https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=94

• OK! Idk if I spelled his name right though…

• OH! Wait, Glenn Glazek is from Sun-Dance Kennel…

• here's an ad i found - sun-dance rather than nocturnal. (didn't the nocturnal name come up in another thread, maybe with the blue or dilute puppies?)

http://www.breeders.net/detail.php?id=129367

• Idk what that means, I'm sorry… But here is the ad I found :
    And its the same as yours

• @tlish:

here's an ad i found - sun-dance rather than nocturnal. (didn't the nocturnal name come up in another thread, maybe with the blue or dilute puppies?)

Yeah I found that ad on the main page
    http://www.breeders.net/search.php?action=search&country=2&doglist_id=36&zipcode=32801&x=0&y=0&search=1

then looked at the TOP of the page. Same thing… not member of Basenji org, back yard breeder screams from the ads.

• not trying to be contrary at all, but what screams back yard breeder? nocturnal breeders has totally different names, contact info, state, etc., so i am wondering what part of sun-dance is screaming backyard breeder. actually, tanza is listed on this same page. seriously, just wondering what to look for. i realize the grammar is horrific, but i'm picky. what else is there? thanks!

• @tlish:

not trying to be contrary at all (actually i know suki will eventually want a playmate), but what screams back yard breeder? nocturnal breeders has totally different names, contact info, state, etc., so i am wondering what part of sun-dance is screaming backyard breeder. actually, tanza is listed on this same page. seriously, just wondering what to look for. i realize the grammar is horrific, but i'm picky. what else is there? thanks!

Tanza is listed on the same page along with other "responsible" breeders so that people can see the difference between breeders. Often responsible breeders with advertise on many different sites NOT to compete with BYB's but to try and teach people how to fine a responsible breeder. Ones that health test before breeding and do not breed just for the sake of selling puppies. Breeders that breed to improve the breed, not just breed the same dogs over and over again every year.

Are Sun-Dance puppies AKC registered? Have they been DNA tested for Fanconi? Have their hips been done? Elbows? Have their Thyroids been tested? What is the pedigree of their breeding dogs?

I would suggest you go to this link on how to find a responsible breeder and see after all the questions are answered if Sun-Dance fits…. I would think not. http://www.tanzabasenjis.net/selectbreeder.html

• so, because they don't list the tests, akc registry, etc. in their ad, they are likely a backyard breeder. got it.

• The ad listing itself does not have enough information in it to say one way or the other what type of breeder they are. It is true that most responsible breeders will list in their ads what they test for. If you are looking to add a new puppy, it is really important to learn what to ask for and how to verify for yourself that the information they have provided is true, do searches on OFA and verify what they are testing for. Breeders that advertise Continental Kennel Club (CKC) or America's Pet Registry, Inc, (APRI) registered dogs are a huge red flad since these registries were formed because breeders did not want to comply with AKC's frequently used sire program that requires DNA testing on sires producing many litters a year or in their lifetime.

• i'm not interested in a puppy, i'm just asking questions because people said this person must be a backyard breeder because of the ad. i was just curious what, in the ad, indicated that the person is a backyard breeder. so, i didn't know if it was the website itself, or the lack of stating that they do testing, or what. i'm inclined to agree with you, that you actually can't tell from the ad alone. the original poster will have to ask the breeder some of the questions that were suggested.

• Using the information from the ad, a interested person can do a search on OFA and would find that there is not any fanconi testing information for any dogs with the SunDance kennel name. That would be a red flag.

Suggested Topics