Does this breeder sound reputable?

• I life in Edmonton, AB and am having troubles finding anyone. I found this one lady who is somewhere in the Yukon. She says she is not a "full time" breeder (I imagine it's one of those scenarios where she has two basenjis and they mated). She is selling the pups for just $300.

Now the parts that are "good" (?):
    -Health Guarantee
    -Hereditary Congenital Defect Guarantee
    -Health License
    -Pedigree Certificate
    -CKC registered

I'm no breeder and I've never bought a dog before, so this is all just mumbo jumbo to me. Are any of these good enough that you think it is safe to buy from her? Like I said, I am having huge problems finding the pups anywhere. There is also on in British Columbia that's up for adoption, it's a whippet/basenji mix and I really love him too. But, I don't know if they ship and the 11 hour drive is just too long.

Please help if you can, I'm a bit confused. I've been researching the breed a lot and I really don't want to have a sickly little dog. My parents bought our chinese crested from a "reputable" breeder, and we learned later she was inbreeding and our dog has epilepsy now - good thing we got vet insurance before they found that out.

Anyways, please help!

• Right off the bat, I feel the price for the dog is low. It gives me a feeling that this is purely a backyard breeder. Will she take the dog back FOR ANY REASON if you cannot keep the dog? A good breeder will. What about the parentage of her dogs - were they Fanconi tested and are the test results available online? What other testing has been done on the parents and the puppies at this point? Hips? Eyes?

I would also hesitate to buy a puppy from someone who just had an "oops" mating of two dogs. A lot goes into breeding quality puppies, and it is usually a very well planned out situation.

I understand your keen desire to own a basenji (I am in the same situation as you) but please be careful who you purchase from. It can mean a huge difference for you and your dog in the future.

Have you checked out the BCOA website for breeders? Just like me here in BC, there is not much to select from. When the time comes for me, I will probably be looking to a U.S. breeder (someone in the Pacific Northwest). I have attended some Washington state shows and have met some great breeders and their wonderful looking and dispositioned dogs.

Good luck in your hunt. Wishing you the best.

• @Kipawa:

Right off the bat, I feel the price for the dog is low. It gives me a feeling that this is purely a backyard breeder. Will she take the dog back FOR ANY REASON if you cannot keep the dog? A good breeder will. What about the parentage of her dogs - were they Fanconi tested and are the test results available online? What other testing has been done on the parents and the puppies at this point? Hips? Eyes?

I would also hesitate to buy a puppy from someone who just had an "oops" mating of two dogs. A lot goes into breeding quality puppies, and it is usually a very well planned out situation.

I understand your keen desire to own a basenji (I am in the same situation as you) but please be careful who you purchase from. It can mean a huge difference for you and your dog in the future.

Have you checked out the BCOA website for breeders? Just like me here in BC, there is not much to select from. When the time comes for me, I will probably be looking to a U.S. breeder (someone in the Pacific Northwest). I have attended some Washington state shows and have met some great breeders and their wonderful looking and dispositioned dogs.

Good luck in your hunt. Wishing you the best.

Thanks, and I do agree. I think I'm going to pass on this breeder. I actually googled her email address (after her name turned up nothing) and I found about 8 other ads for different breeds - bulldogs, bichon frises, etc. I think she may be running a puppy mill, so I might even report her if I have any proof to it.

I'm going to keep searching, and maybe try to find a way to adopt the pup from BC. Thanks!

• Definitely sounds like a backyard breeder.

Make sure to do your homework on the BC pup, if that is the direction you are going. You'll want a dog that is a good addition to your family - one that will blend in with your lifestyle and activity level. In the future, I might consider a rescue also (Sharron, are you reading this?), but the basenji will have to still have the personality, qualities and health that feel right for us.

• @Kipawa:

Sorry Fran, but I disagree with this statement.
    Even accidents happen to the best of breeders.
    Just because it is an "oops" does not mean it wouldn't be a decent breeding or produce fabulous companions.
    What is important is the temperaments of the sire/dam and those in their pedigree, as well as the health testing involved throughout the pedigree.

Brianne-
    I would bet that there is little to none if they have many other breeds.
    I haven't ever heard of someone up there either, so can't imagine who it would be.

Best of luck finding your forever companion!

• Smart of you to do your homework before you buy a b.
    Getting a b who is health tested is so worth the extra $$..just for the peace of mind.

• Would you care to share the dam's name if you know it? I also don't know of anyone who sold a B in the Yukon. It's not on our radar.

• Please please please consider contacting BRAT about adopting. So many need homes.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Please please please consider contacting BRAT about adopting. So many need homes.

Basenjis from breeders also need homes.

• @YodelDogs:

Basenjis from breeders also need homes.

And there are benefits from the health perspective to temperment of the dog that you know about.

• @khanis:

Sorry Fran, but I disagree with this statement.

Kathy, you are right. I stand corrected. Thanks for making me clarify, because I did not explain myself well enough. It was more in the context of a BYB producing puppies that will be ill, not sound, not live long, etc. And I do understand that even then the offspring could still be wonderful pets.

From a reputable breeder, I would have no problem in a puppy from an "oops" breeding.

• I am not knocking responsible breeders nor their dogs… you should know that already. But even when I had litters, I ALWAYS queried the prospective home to see if a rescue would do. Sorry, I just think even breeders need to push all they can to rescue. And if this person is considering a dog in that price range, then rescue is the answer... not a byb or puppymill dog. I doubt many responsible breeders can begin to place a pup for much under $2,000. Certainly not under $1,000.

• My pups are right around 1000.00, I consider much over 1000.00 over the top for a puppy…. and there are many responsible breeders particularly in the Mid West that place pups for around 850.00

• @DebraDownSouth:

I doubt many responsible breeders can begin to place a pup for much under $2,000. Certainly not under $1,000.

I'm not trying to argue with you, Debra. I just want to clarify a few things about this topic.

In the US, virtually all responsible breeders place their puppies for $700-1,000and that range includes show prospects.

And if this person is considering a dog in that price range, then rescue is the answer… not a byb or puppymill dog.

FWIW, I did Basenji rescue for a decade and I know for a fact that at least 95% of all rescued Basenjis were produced by BYBs and puppy mills. The initial adoption fee for a rescue may be a little bit less than a responsibly bred dog but the risk for health issues may prove higher, and far more expensive, in the long run.

• The price of $1000-$1500 is usually what a petstore B is priced when it first arrives at 8 weeks at least the ones I have seen at PetLand. The price goes down as it gets older. One can finance a pup like a piece of furniture.

Jennifer

• I haven't bought a basenji in 8 years, but back then Robyn even YOU quoted me something like $1500. Glad to hear prices lower, but again if the person looking at a $300 dog, $700 to $1000 a big jump for most.

As for health … considering my utterly champion pedigree for 5 generation dog who had major health issues, autoimmune and died with lymphoma... nothing is a guarantee. I am a bit surprised to hear breeders almost discouraging rescue. Do I believe that a puppy from a breeder with generations of genetic testing has better chance for not having those genetic problems... sure. But over-all health... not really. Research doesn't support it nor does my personal experiences.

I have heard rescuers say that breeders bash rescues... I honestly have to say while I have heard it out the yingyang with both Chow and Rottie breeders, this is my first experience with it among Basenji. It makes me very sad. With that, am out of this topic and thread.

• Oh, Debra, don't leave. Some areas of the country don't have a good network with rescue. I am lucky, and in the PNW, the breeders are wonderful…
    They support rescue, which makes my joy so much easier.

• FWIW, I did Basenji rescue for a decade and I know for a fact that at least 95% of all rescued Basenjis were produced by BYBs and puppy mills. The initial adoption fee for a rescue may be a little bit less than a responsibly bred dog but the risk for health issues may prove higher, and far more expensive, in the long run.

Hi, Robyn,

Maybe things were different when you were doing rescue. You might be surprised to know how many rescues we get who were bred by "reputable breeders" and whose breeders, once contacted by rescue, would not take back their dogs even though a contract existed between the individual buyer and the breeder. We are dealing with several of these instances right now.

• Debbi J, I do have to take exception about your info. 95% in my area were not by byb.
    Sometimes we knew who bred the dog, and were able to get the breeders to "step" up.

• Sharon, I was quoting Robyn.

Suggested Topics