The first is that age old question that is overly asked all over the boards; on every breed forum that exists:
1.) When should I get the 'hint' that a breeder is not interested in working with me? I'm starting to feel like an over-zealous ex at this point. I was communicating with someone I felt would be easy to deal with… and initially sent a couple messages around October/November....my messages were well received....fairly quickly. However, the last three messages I've sent over a period since that time (two in November/December, and one recently at the end of January) those haven't been acknowledged. Now, I understand this person is likely very busy but it would be nice to get an update on what's going on every month or so. I mean a month or two of preparation time knowing for sure yes/no would be helpful....and if they have time to post on their facebook you would think they would have the ability to send a short message back.
I'm not going to force getting a puppy, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out...but the time was perfect....and I feel like at this point I've been pushed to the back to make way for more 'suitable' individuals. Then again maybe October wasn't early enough.
At any rate I've been extremely interested in the European litters I'm seeing..they are just very Basenji type (in my mind) and considering looking into them....I really didn't want to have to ship a puppy out so far.....
Anyways, at what point should an individual start to maybe get the hint ? To be fair, I was never told I was on any kind of waiting list, but it was implied in the messages that I would be a good candidate; So I filled out an application promptly and sent that many months back (not going to put the name here just in case that might be misconstrued as a passive aggressive attack).
I have no problem being turned down, but it's the uncertainty that's making me unsure. I'd like to know if I need to go elsewhere or just wait....I think I was spoiled with my 1st breeder - Lisa S. is absolutely amazing, and was always very courtesy and responsive. Am I being a little impatient?
Curious as to what others have to say, or their experiences.
2.) Anyways, sidling into my second question....OFFA for the US but is that for EU dogs too? Where would one find health testing for European basenjis? If there is such a database.
thank you for your time,