• First Basenji's

I guess it never occurred to me that someone who got their dog from a reputable breeder would ever let shame or fear of judgment prevent them from returning a pet. I've always found that good breeders and rescue organizations made that point very clear, both in person and in writing.

I just figured that anyone who did not contact or even think about contacting their breeder in the first place, and is trying their luck with the Craigslist rabble probably didn't get their pet from a reputable source. Back when I used to actually work adoption events with rescue organizations in Taiwan, a lot of folks acted surprised to hear that reputable breeders agree to take back their own dogs at ANY time, because their concern for their lines don't have an "expiration date" – unlike the one-year "health guarantees" that pet store and online puppies sometimes come with, and that kind of thing. One of the most common responses was "But that doesn't make economic sense!" Well, exactly. It's not about the money, after all...

• @Patty:

The reason I keep posting Craig's Lists' basenjis on here, especially the ones being sold or given away, is because I suspect that some of these dogs may have been found creatures, like this one in Oklahoma City, that people have decided to keep. If that's the case, and the people that lost their basenjis are still looking, well, the basenji world is rather small sometimes. 🙂

This dog is beautiful; the owner states she was found running (are you surprised?)…. perhaps someone is looking for this girl? They plan on returning it to the shelter, as they are getting married... if not, maybe BRAT can step in?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/1733292519.html

I don't know if it is the same dog, but I got a call from a lady in reference to a basenji mix from a Craigs-List add. As I was heading into class for my finals at college I was not able to talk to her but for a brief moment. I did however point her to the BRAT website. I also told her to post all her info there and if she does not hear anything back with in a few days to call me back. I have taken a bit of a step back because of college but I still can get get things channels out there if she does not get a response.

• @curlytails:

I guess it never occurred to me that someone who got their dog from a reputable breeder would ever let shame or fear of judgment prevent them from returning a pet. I've always found that good breeders and rescue organizations made that point very clear, both in person and in writing.

I just figured that anyone who did not contact or even think about contacting their breeder in the first place, and is trying their luck with the Craigslist rabble probably didn't get their pet from a reputable source.

I wonder if there's a statistic about how many basenjis are purchased from "reputable breeders" with signed contracts, versus the rest of the basenji population: those from pet stores, small breeders, animal shelters, humane societies, or perhaps from friends? Or how many basenjis become family members because they show up on your doorstop, and then no one claims them?

People that place dogs on Craig's List shouldn't all be lumped together as a bunch of non-caring rabble rousers that are trying to dump their dogs. Craig's List is a free way to place an ad that has reunited many dogs with their owners, and when owners have to part with their dogs, I can understand using the same venue to try to find a new owner.

I think of the beautiful red basenji that was lost a year ago in TX, (Jose?), and how that family is still looking for their pup. With that thought in mind, I keep posting the photos of the available dogs, hoping that someone will see their lost basenji and can be happily reunited.

Here are my two Craigs List Basenjis: Halo (aka Lola) and Sophie… If I would need to find them a new home, I would probably go to BRAT, but if people don't know about BRAT, where else do you turn?

Just my two cents.
    attachment_p_111381_0_1-sophie-and-lola.jpg

• @basenji_fan:

I don't know if it is the same dog, but I got a call from a lady in reference to a basenji mix from a Craigs-List add. As I was heading into class for my finals at college I was not able to talk to her but for a brief moment. I did however point her to the BRAT website. I also told her to post all her info there and if she does not hear anything back with in a few days to call me back. I have taken a bit of a step back because of college but I still can get get things channels out there if she does not get a response.

I will often send a personal email to suggest the BRAT website, as well as to put their ads on this website, where people with basenji experience may be looking for additional children. 🙂

• First Basenji's

@Patty:

People that place dogs on Craig's List shouldn't all be lumped together as a bunch of non-caring rabble rousers that are trying to dump their dogs. Craig's List is a free way to place an ad that has reunited many dogs with their owners, and when owners have to part with their dogs, I can understand using the same venue to try to find a new owner.

You're right. I was actually using the term 'rabble' in a tongue-in-cheek manner, as I count myself amongst them. 🙂 I have something of a love-hate relationship with Craigslist, and much of the latter sentiment unfortunately comes from the pet listings. But fact is, it IS well-trafficked. Of course someone who is honestly trying to find the best home for their dog, especially if they're working on their own, should use it if they're trying to cast a wide net amongst potential adopters. It's just disconcerting to me how often "free" also means "effortless" to some people who don't bother to screen potential families. I'm sure you would, and I'm always happy to see ads that make it clear that there will be a screening process. When the ad contains barely any information and only dollar signs, I get a little skeptical and revert back to more cynical thoughts…

• First Basenji's

@curlytails:

One in the San Francisco Bay Area, no pictures, minimal info:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/1736241861.html

I e-mailed and gave her the info for BRAT as an option if she's really interested in finding a forever home for her pup. I told her they won't purchase but they'll help.

She said she's gotten in touch with BRAT but no response yet. She has until the end of next week… I suggested getting in touch with her breeder too. Hopefully this pup won't have to end up in a shelter!

• A new posting for a tri-color basenji on Seattle's Craig's List:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pet/1742229442.html

He's 11 years old, and the ad states purchased from a breeder in Yelm
    attachment_p_111712_0_1-seattle-basenji.jpg

• Oh, 11 yr old..sigh. I will try to get in touch with them.
    Sigh.
    WHAT is wrong with these people??

• Hard to believe that after 11yrs that they would consider giving this boy up… just because their "life/schedules" are changing... sigh....

I can understand that sometimes circumstances change with changing economic conditions, but this doesn't sound like the case here... more like "it is too much trouble"

• Well, they are teaching their children to do that to themselves when they get old and have "issues"! sigh.
    But I do hope they will post back to me.
    This poor b needs a home that will make the dog the treasure we all know they are!

• Ok, touched base with the owner, he thought that it cost to post a b to BRAT. I corrected that and he said if he can't find someone to take this boy, he will list him.
    I understand that they are in $$ issues, and the placement fee for this boy would help them.
    BUT I told them I would help them if they would let me, and I have to let it go.
    If they contact me, I will share.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Ok, touched base with the owner, he thought that it cost to post a b to BRAT. I corrected that and he said if he can't find someone to take this boy, he will list him.
    I understand that they are in $$ issues, and the placement fee for this boy would help them.
    BUT I told them I would help them if they would let me, and I have to let it go.
    If they contact me, I will share.

How very, very sad. With the economy like it is, there are so many homeless pets. Wouldn't it be horrible to be in a situation where $100 would make a world of difference. It is so easy to judge people getting rid of thier pets, but there really are some people out there who don't know what else to do. I adopted our current malinois off CL. The owner was young and perhaps didn't have many resources to pull from, and perhaps he didn't plan things as well as he should have, but he was in tears when he sent "his" dog off with us and she was clearly loved.

• I do understand that its tough out there. I put out that I am going to do the best I can for the dog. I know owners who have tied the dog outside, never let the dog into the house, fed crap food, and they "love" the dog. I have no doubt they had feelings for the dog they had. I just can't help but judge the quality of life that I give my dogs re what they give theirs. BUT if I can give this dog a better life, then I have done good.
    *sorry…folks I have seen folks on tv crying when they clear out the 100 dogs/cats, they let live and breed in a trailer... If you care for your dogs, you care for your dogs.
    BUT I want to take the dogs in that need care. So I can only be so judgemental here.

• Sharron-
    My post was not directed at you, just readers in general. And as for people keeping dogs on a chain outside 24/7, well, that's not any sort of love that I know of (maybe abusive "love"). I just think it's easy for many of us to say "well, I would never give my dog up" and certainly, before Pearl-petual motion the malinois, I would have been the first to say that and refuse to understand something else. But sometimes life is not as we plan. I am fortunate to have a roof over my head, food in my pantry, DH and I both have jobs that bring a little money in, and I even have a little change left over to enter a dogshow once in a while. I am blessed. I am grateful.

I also know that people who dedicate their lives to rescue see many people who "love" their pets, only to dispose of said pets when the pet becomes inconvenient. I would quickly become angry and jaded if I had to deal with those people on a regular basis.

Edited to add:
    and actually, Sharron, I didn't think your post sounded very judgemental at all.

• I was not trying to sound judgemental, and I am glad you read it that way.
    I had a divorce 40 yrs ago and didn't have much $$. I moved into a section of town my folks wouldn't visit after dark…but I could have my pets, so it worked for me.
    I moved up when I could. Some folks will make the choice to keep pets NO matter what, some will not.
    I make that choice, but I know other have other issues.
    I just want to help the animals in need..and even if I would like to slap the folks leaving the dogs yes total judgement statement here, I always try to get the dog in hand.
    Then I can vent to my friends like you! grin.

• Here's another cutie, in Dallas… doesn't say if its a male or a female, or what the rehoming fee is....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pet/1745317397.html
    attachment_p_111879_0_1-dallas.jpg

• There is an adorable 6 year old tri available in Jacksonville Fl. The listing is:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pet/1748036272.html
    attachment_p_112219_0_1-jacksonville-b.jpg

• And another pup in Atlanta:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pas/1748473516.html

Very cute 17 month old basenji, very energetic, fun loving, loves the outdoors and gets along with people, dogs, cats and kids. He is house broken, knows the following commands: sit, shake, leave it, drop it, do your business, stay, get in bed. I love him but I have a very busy lifestyle and want him to go to a very caring family. He is very easy going, he has all his shots and is a pure breed. A rehoming fee of $300

• Oh, my heavens! I will notify folks in each area.
    Sigh.
    What is going on..???!!!

• Wow, can't believe so many beautiful basenjis on craigslist. Sending the Jacksonville link to friends in that area who have spent time with ours and know what they'd be getting themselves into. 😉

Suggested Topics