• First Basenji's

• Re: off lead - even those that are 'reliable' off lead, in an area with little to no traffic are at risk. If you are willing to take that risk - so be it - it is your decision and your responsibility. However let me share 2 situations:

1 - Very isolated area only a couple of vehicles a day- way up north in Cook MN. The ONLY place the family let their Basenji off leash and he was fine - for several years when they visited there in the summer. One year - first visit of the summer they let the dog out to run - and he ran and ran - then a big gravel truck came and he was gone. Lesson - even in an isolated area with few vehicles - it only takes one.

2 - City area - dogs never off leash. Someone leave the door open and out they go to pounce on the first dog they see - trying to play. That dogs owner not amused tried to pick up his dog and got bit. Those dogs ended up in big trouble, were confiscated and classified as dangerous dogs.

So assess your situation, make sure you have trained your dog for recall - but understand the risks and no - I NEVER have my dogs off leash or never behind a fence.

• They just don't know cars..there was a post this am on another list about a 1 yr old b who dug out of the yard, and was hit and killed.
    Its a tough way to lose a beloved family member.

• DMCARTY, right on about first training your basenji (and being confident with it) for recall. That is totally a lifesaver, in addition to being familiar with the area you may be letting your dog off leash. For example, we live near agricultural land. There is one 'public' area that is grassy, that would SEEM like a nice place to let a b off leash. But one end of it is a medium busy street, and the sides of it are thicket, which for sure a basenji would just barrel through, and I couldn't. I think I'll have a variety of sizes of leashes instead, and will train for consistent recall.

• I wish we had fenced dog parks here…or even dog parks period! Can't wait to move to Florida 🙂

• There are fenced in dog areas here. But the fences are often just chainlink, which a basenji can easily climb over. For me, it will be leash only. I couldn't bear to lose a special friend.

• Here's my puppy buyer's experience on off lead. He had her off lead for about 6 months. He lives in nothern BC, so it's quite cold most of the year. As soon as it started to warm up-I'm talking around 32 F- she took him on a merry chase for an hour and a half. He said he'll never do it again. He also thought she was reliable, he knows different now.

One of the top winning obedience Basenji's, Sparky, is 15 years old. Mary would still never trust her off lead, as she knows it's just a chance she doesn't want to take. Usually, when a Basenji sees something that is more interesting than you, which could be a leaf, they are focused on the task and not you.

Another woman had her Basenji for about 5 years. He took off last fall and has not been seen since. And she also thought he was reliable and a momma's suck.

It's your choice, but just be aware of the consequences that could happen. Even the most reliable Basenji is really, well, unreliable!

• My first basenji never needed a leash. She just went wherever we went. She did try to chase a motorcycle once and got squashed toes for her efforts. Abbey is a different story. With her no leash means bye bye basenji.

• @nomrbddgs:

One of the top winning obedience Basenji's, Sparky, is 15 years old. Mary would still never trust her off lead, as she knows it's just a chance she doesn't want to take. Usually, when a Basenji sees something that is more interesting than you, which could be a leaf, they are focused on the task and not you.

It's your choice, but just be aware of the consequences that could happen. Even the most reliable Basenji is really, well, unreliable!

Yep, I've mangaged to put over 30 titles on Digital the brindlewonderkid (most were agility titles where the dog performs off leash) and I would NEVER just take him off leash for a nice hike. Of course he's now 13 and has some hearing loss, I think, but his prey drive is just tremendous although it has lessened in the last year or so.

• We do take a chance to let them off leash on the beach in Or. THAT is really the only place.
    BUT even then, if a cat ran across a yard up from where we were walking, the dogs would be gone, and no matter of recall would get them back.
    If you chose to do this, then its up to you, when something happens.
    Its all a matter of what your willing to risk.

• @sharronhurlbut:

We do take a chance to let them off leash on the beach in Or. THAT is really the only place.
    BUT even then, if a cat ran across a yard up from where we were walking, the dogs would be gone, and no matter of recall would get them back.
    If you chose to do this, then its up to you, when something happens.
    Its all a matter of what your willing to risk.

Sharron, what are they like with all the gulls down there? I hope that wouldn't occupy their minds enough to go running off. Though it sounds like you know all about the environment there. What a great beach to just run freely!

• The gulls are pretty smart, and head off before the b's get there, the crows are something else, they wait until the dogs are close, and then fly up.
    This beach is 7 miles of sand, with high banks on most of the walk.
    BUT I woudn't put it past my girl to get a cat, if it was on the cliff and ran up.
    I am just saying, somethings you just try. Re b's, its ALWAYS a gamble.
    If it works out fine, but oh heavens, if you lose a beloved dog, I know you will wonder if its worth it.
    Re streets, they are so dangerous for our breed.
    These guys just don't get cars..

• "These guys just don't get cars.." +10, Ms. Sharron. You nailed that one.

AJ understands trucks…I taught him by pulling his lead toward me and saying, "Look at that big truck!" So he looks for them now when we're out of ours and I rarely have to actually pull him in. He voluntarily moves closer to me when he sees a tractor-trailer moving toward him. Cars, on the other hand, might as well be large moving chew toys as far as he's concerned. He has not one ounce of fear regarding cars.

• Okay…I'm going to bump this thread for a specific scenario. Pictured below is a dog park in Edmonton. There are no traffic concerns as the park is well isolated from the rest of the city. However, there are no fences and the park is extremely large (It has a circumference of just over 13 miles...I believe it's one of the largest dog parks in North America).

Would it be safe to let my basenji run around off leash? If cars aren't a concern what are the risks? Do I need to worry about him chasing something and not coming back?

• YES - that is always always always a concern. Even the well trained dog - when presented with a wonderful opportunit (bunnie) will be so focused that they will loose site of any training - until they are tired - or finish eating said bunnie and then might look for you.

I had a dog once who got out my front door - who tried to run through a car - so focused on his prey that he didn't even notice when he broke his neck running into the side of the car.

• That is an amazing dog park. In my opinion, if you have access to a park like that you should eventually be able to let your Basenji off leash. I think the statment that no Basenji can be trusted off leash can be applied to any dog. No dog is totally predictable. Some Basenjis can be better than some Labs I have known. There is always a risk of letting any dog off leash. You have to work to minimize that risk.

Every Basenji is different, but our Ella went from being utterly the most untrustworthy dog ever, to one that in the right circumstances can be walked off leash with some degree of confidence. As long as roads and cars are not a concern, I think the positives outweigh the possible risks. For a year I didn't think Ella would ever be allowed off leash, but now that I see her joy in running free and feel that extra bond of having her follow me BY HER OWN CHOICE, I would not trade it, even acknowledging that there are risks. At first I was afraid she would run away and never come back but I consider that to be the least of my concerns.

We started slowly and figured out what things would give us the best chance of success. We trained the "come" command indoors for months (and still do). She is perfect indoors and spotty outdoors, but it is a start. We trained "come" outside in a safe area while she trailed a long cord. We walked with her trailing a cord many times. She was constantly rewarded and praised while off leash. For Ella the most important thing was being off leash with other dogs and their owners. It was leap of faith but I observed she would stick pretty close to other dogs when off leash. She learned a lot by doing many walks in safe areas as part of a small pack-even just one other dog. The first time I let her off leash by myself was on a walk we had done several times off leash with other dogs and it made a world of difference. I also carry plenty of treats, a tennis ball to get her attention. You will learn what works for you. Most important is never be in a hurry to get anywhere when you have your Basenji off leash.

• I think it's a personal decision each owner has to make with their basenji. Sonny is allowed off leash in only 2 places that are not fenced. The beach and 118 acre park we go to every night…

I understand there will be those that say it's never ok to let your B off leash in an unfenced area but in these two situations I've made the personal choice to allow Sonny to run & play with the other dogs. We constantly work on his recall and in the past three years he has become very good being off leash and sticking near me. I realize there is a chance for something to happen but in weighing the good vs bad in this situation the joy Sonny gets in that hour every night off leash running with his friends out way the other….

• First Basenji's

I agree with sonnyboy…......a personal decision taking into account the individual Basenjis and your individual situations. Haley was raised "off-leash" when walking in the desert away from roads, cars, etc (she'll run around and chase lizards and things but always comes right back to her "pack").....but "on leash" everywhere else. If she gets away from me accidently in our neighborhood there's no way she'll come back to me just by calling her name…....so what I do is say "OK...Come on Haley" (like it's a fun game) and I turn around and run for home. She will always then turn and run after me (it's either the "prey-drive" thing kicking in or a "pack-dog" thing). When we get to our front door safe and sound, with my heart beating SO HARD, I say a prayer of thanks!

• I think the positives outweigh the possible risks.

Positive to me is off leash.
    Negative to me is dead dog.
    I can't imagine the positive ever outweighing the possible risk. Yeah in the desert maybe. Maybe not.. not sure what there might tempt to run miles away. Not sure of any setting where keeping the dog on lead is that big of deal when there is no fence.

Perhaps with a shock collar so strong I could knock off feet if they did go after prey and wouldn't recall. I don't know, I just value keeping my dog alive more than any off leash experience that doesn't include a fence.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Positive to me is off leash.
    Negative to me is dead dog.
    I can't imagine the positive ever outweighing the possible risk. Yeah in the desert maybe. Maybe not.. not sure what there might tempt to run miles away. Not sure of any setting where keeping the dog on lead is that big of deal when there is no fence.

Perhaps with a shock collar so strong I could knock off feet if they did go after prey and wouldn't recall. I don't know, I just value keeping my dog alive more than any off leash experience that doesn't include a fence.

For me the positive, a happy dog that can run around and explore, interact normally with other dogs etc., does outweigh the negative: a possible accident.. Of course I don't let Tillo off leash everywhere, but there are no fenced places nearby, so we'll have to do it with relatively safe areas. Tillo is pretty good off leash and if I get the feeling he won't listen (anymore) I leash him. I try to avoid cars, but I have to confess that sometimes we walk pretty close to cars as well. That's a risk I'm willing to take. And in my eyes this doesn't make me an irresponsible owner.

Suggested Topics