• She is beautifull!

• @diff_eqs:

Registered name is Cambria's Red Arrow, house name is going to be Strelka, meaning "little arrow" in Russian. My mom used to have a dog when she was a kid, her name was Strelka. She was a basenji-type or a shiba-type mutt, brown with white socks and a curly tail. This name in Russia is considered very appropriate for dogs with pointy nose and ears…

Why would you even want to consider buying a puppy from someone who is so thoughtless as to poach a well known kennel name. And it is not like this person is unknowing of the Cambria line…

And would you really be able to give up that pup if the test turn out badly?

Added to the lists of tests, you should also take her to a board certified veterinarian ophthalmologist for a full eye exam. Can be done at 8/9 wks for things like Coloboma, Cataracts (both Juvenile and Regular) (which can develop as early as two months of age) and PPM. However something like PRA (and causes blindness) is late onset and there is no test, so without health background you would never know the possibilities.

• I am shaking my head right now. The Fanconi test is only $65 and only has to be done once in a dog's lifetime. These people have been known to crank out 8 or more litters of Basenjis some years. There is no reason why they can't afford to pay for Fanconi testing at least.

• @YodelDogs:

I am shaking my head right now. The Fanconi test is only $65 and only has to be done once in a dog's lifetime. These people have been known to crank out 8 or more litters of Basenjis some years. There is no reason why they can't afford to pay for Fanconi testing at least.

Great point Robyn. And I hope that all our comments are taken as legit reasons to really think about getting this pup before you do so. You have tried to do all the right things when you were considering breeding, testing, finding a mentor, all which is super… to then lower your standards and go to a BYB with no health testing is really a big step backwards.

• @YodelDogs:

I am shaking my head right now.

Me too. This is sad. You'd think someone who's spent significant time on this forum would know better. Do you really want to support those breeding practices?

• @lvoss:

This "breeder" has poached the name. These dogs are NOT true Cambria dogs. I had thought that BCOA had petitioned AKC to protect the name from this unethical use but I can't remember if AKC approved retiring the name.

I am well aware of them NOT being the true Cambria dogs. I did enough research. However, Sandy has been using this name for over 20 years, and she highly recommended for me to continue that practice, and no, the name has not been retired.

• Do you really not have a response to previous posts regarding your decision to go with this breeder? Nothing? You feel comfortable getting a puppy that was bred for profit?

• What I don't understand is why some people on this forum take it upon themselves to put other people down, when they post pictures of "questionable" purebreds or mixes. I was trying to share the joy of getting another puppy, just like everyone else does, and instead I get all this "head-shaking" and saying that it was really irresponsible of me to do that, all of that just based on a single "potential" name that I "might" register, which I am not even sure about. As of right now I am not planning on breeding this dog, as of right now it is strictly a pet animal, so the lineage does not matter much. And if I do decide to show or breed, I am going to take all the precautions as I did when I bred Lana, including doing all the tests and the vet certifications. And by the way, Lana does not have that awesome of lineage either, so I did my research to find a compatible sire that would amend all the little issues that she has. I believe that is the meaning of "responsibility" as far as supporting the breed is concerned. As far as me being irresponsible as a buyer, I had my reasons, which have to do with my family. I am not trying to be an b***h here, but at the end the decision is mine. Also, I have read about the breed enough to know what is important and what is not. The last thing I want to do is start breeding dogs that would "dirty up" the breed. That said, I am excited about having another puppy in the family and a companion for Lana.

• Strelka is a little beauty and i wish you all the best. Please post lots of pics when you get her, it will keep me going untill we get our Pup in about 5 weeks 😃

• Whether the puppy is a "just" a pet or not really does not make it any less important to strive to get the best quality health and temperament. In fact, I really cannot understand the attitude that because animal is going to be "just" a pet all care for quality should go right out the window. All my dogs are pets (companions) first and foremost. They are part of my family, and not just my household, my whole family, when I visit relatives they ask how they are doing. My grandparents and aunts have come on vacation to dog shows with us. As such, I want them to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. My eldest is now 12 years old, and you can see the gray on him and I know that I have less years left with him than I have already spent with him. I am glad that I did my homework though before I got him and chose a line with dogs that lived into their teens because I don't want to say goodbye anytime soon. So here I am finding myself wiping tears out of my eyes because I am thinking of my dogs' mortality and thinking of how my grandmother who just passed in December even 3 days before her death was still telling everyone stories of Nicky and his ability to wail like banshee when he felt he was abondoned with strangers and I just can't grasp how anyone would cheat themselves of that time or those memories by not doing everything they could to find a breeder who breeds for health, temperament, longevity.

• Wow, this topic is turning nasty.

Can't you just be happy for diff_eqs?

Anyways, congrats, and she looks beautiful!

• If everybody went to all the same breeders for their dogs, wouldn't that narrow the gene pool? We see people bring dogs back from Africa purported to be Basenji but that look like village mutts to me…in order to expand the genetics. What I heard at that discussion was the more the merrier and everyone gushing over three dogs that might have B in them.
    If DiffEqs is happy with her puppy, I am happy for her. Hope to see lots of photos.

• @nkjvcjs:

Yes, I thought AKC voted to restrict the kennel name in 2004, that why I asked how it was possible. Was the restriction reversed?

This is what I remember as well.

• @AJs:

If everybody went to all the same breeders for their dogs, wouldn't that narrow the gene pool? We see people bring dogs back from Africa purported to be Basenji but that look like village mutts to me…in order to expand the genetics. What I heard at that discussion was the more the merrier and everyone gushing over three dogs that might have B in them.
    If DiffEqs is happy with her puppy, I am happy for her. Hope to see lots of photos.

you are comparing apples and oranges. The issue here is that someone is supporting a breeder that is known for breeding for profit, not to preserve the heritage of the breed. Breeding dogs that are not tested for Fanconi status is not, in any way, being a steward of the breed.

Going to Africa and importing dogs that are phenotypically, and most likely genotypically basenjis, is good for the health and diversity, and future of the breed. All dogs that are imported and considered for inclusion in the AKC studbook have passed the genetic tests available for the breed recommendations.

I too hope that diffeqs is happy with her puppy 🙂 but this thread will be read by lots of people that will never comment on it, and it is important that the message gets out there that no one should be buying puppies from untested parents; and no one should be shelling over money to people breeding puppies for profit.

• @NerdyDogOwner:

Wow, this topic is turning nasty.

Can't you just be happy for diff_eqs?

Anyways, congrats, and she looks beautiful!

Some people are just crazy :p When i first came on here i almost felt judged that i didn't have a purebred basenji, not cool at all…this should be a place for learning and sharing about the breed....not gettin gon someones case just because it came from a bad breeder or she thought of a cool name...w/e I hope Diff_eqs has a great time with her new pup and I hope to see lots and lots of photos! Congrats!!

• @Kingsley1230:

Some people are just crazy :p When i first came on here i almost felt judged that i didn't have a purebred basenji, not cool at all…this should be a place for learning and sharing about the breed....not gettin gon someones case just because it came from a bad breeder or she thought of a cool name...w/e I hope Diff_eqs has a great time with her new pup and I hope to see lots and lots of photos! Congrats!!

Apparently, lots of people come to this forum, and think the same way, especially in the beginning. It definitely is a place for learning and sharing about the breed…but sometimes there is education that needs to happen in a forum like this, that may hurt someone's feelings. No one likes to be told they made a poor decision...but by pointing out WHY it is a bad decision, we might be able to help someone else before they purchase, and fall in love with their puppy, who turns out to die of complications of Fanconi before they have had the dog for seven years.

When you come to a forum like this, you can pick and choose what you want to read...but you can't pick and choose what other people want to say. This IS education, even if you don't think it is valuable to you...other people might...

• I don't think anyone has a problem with the name Red Arrow, the problem is with the use of the kennel name Cambria which was registered with AKC to a specific person for his entire lifetime and was poached by an unscrupulous person who saw an opportunity to cash in on someone else's hard work and reputation when that person could not defend themselves because they were deceased. In 2004, AKC and BCOA put a stop to this by retiring the name in honor of the hard work and dedication to the breed that the original and true owner of the name put in.

• @diff_eqs:

I am well aware of them NOT being the true Cambria dogs. I did enough research. However, Sandy has been using this name for over 20 years, and she highly recommended for me to continue that practice, and no, the name has not been retired.

It is a fact that this kennel name was retired and for exactly this reason, this person using it and trying to capitalize on a well known, well breed line of Basenjis. She has been using that name for over 20 years, much to the dismay of the rest of the Basenji Fancy. And that is why it BCOA (Basenji Club of America) petitioned AKC to "retire" the name and no longer accept dogs being registered with that as a Kennel name. And AKC agreed…..

Obviously you can purchase a puppy from anyone you want, but had you done research into this person and talked to other responsible breeders about this person, I would dare say you would have reached a different conclusion.

• @lvoss:

Whether the puppy is a "just" a pet or not really does not make it any less important to strive to get the best quality health and temperament. In fact, I really cannot understand the attitude that because animal is going to be "just" a pet all care for quality should go right out the window. All my dogs are pets (companions) first and foremost. They are part of my family, and not just my household, my whole family, when I visit relatives they ask how they are doing. My grandparents and aunts have come on vacation to dog shows with us. As such, I want them to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. My eldest is now 12 years old, and you can see the gray on him and I know that I have less years left with him than I have already spent with him. I am glad that I did my homework though before I got him and chose a line with dogs that lived into their teens because I don't want to say goodbye anytime soon. So here I am finding myself wiping tears out of my eyes because I am thinking of my dogs' mortality and thinking of how my grandmother who just passed in December even 3 days before her death was still telling everyone stories of Nicky and his ability to wail like banshee when he felt he was abondoned with strangers and I just can't grasp how anyone would cheat themselves of that time or those memories by not doing everything they could to find a breeder who breeds for health, temperament, longevity.

Lvoss, I agree with you one hundred percent, that the health and temperament of the dog is of utmost importance. I saw both of the puppy's parents and was completely in love with her mom's temperament and personality. All of the older dogs that Sandy has are well over 12, 14 and even one that is 19 years old. That by itself tells me that the dogs of that line tend to live long, and that, believe it or not, was one of the deciding factors. So the "temperament and longevity" that you mentioned are there 100%. As far as being members of the family, I agree 150% with you on that. My parents call my dogs "the grandkids" and when they call me they always "talk" to the dogs on the phone, and my brother often calls me just to see how Lana (she is his favorite) is doing. So our dogs are definitely members of the family and then some.

When I was young, we fostered a dog, who, unfortunately, was able to share only a year of his life with us before an incurable condition took him. As much as it hurt to lose him, I know that every second of happiness and love that he gave us was worth it. So, I'd rather have a dog that only lives to be 5 or 7 but is an amazing friend than a dog that lives to be 20 and is just a dog with no personality and nothing to offer. That said, I will do everything in my power to assure that all of my dogs are healthy and happy. I will do all the necessary health testing, including Fanconi, which I already ordered online, although the puppy is not coming home for a few weeks. I do want to thank you for your input and thoughts on the matter, I just think that the breeders who breed "pet quality" and not "show quality" dogs, or the ones that breed for "personality" deserve a chance too.

• @tanza:

It is a fact that this kennel name was retired and for exactly this reason, this person using it and trying to capitalize on a well known, well breed line of Basenjis. She has been using that name for over 20 years, much to the dismay of the rest of the Basenji Fancy. And that is why it BCOA (Basenji Club of America) petitioned AKC to "retire" the name and no longer accept dogs being registered with that as a Kennel name. And AKC agreed…..

Obviously you can purchase a puppy from anyone you want, but had you done research into this person and talked to other responsible breeders about this person, I would dare say you would have reached a different conclusion.

So I take it that the general consensus here is that this breeder is highly irresponsible when it comes to breeding and not testing for health? I was also not aware that Cambria name was retired. I do know that there are at least two other people in the breeding business who use that name that were not part of the original Cambria breeding. It's not the dog's fault though that she comes from someone with ill reputation. She has a great personality and should grow up to be an amazing dog.

Suggested Topics