• This one is region of state specific. A little more of a challenge…

Clues:

First, the state:
    Was one of the original 13 colonies and is said to be the first to declare independence from England.
    The first English settlers landed here, but a year later the only trace of them was the word "Croatoan" scraped onto a tree.
    Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on March 7, 1914 in this state.

Now, the region:
    I have to wipe my feet before I get into the truck...my pet person doesn't like sand on her bed.
    Juliette Lewis and Robert DeNiro hung out together for a while here.

Cheers!
    attachment_t_7394_0_09102101.jpg

• Oooo! Oooo! I know, but I'm not going to say. 🙂

Enjoy the weather and say "hi" to my family!

• @AJs:

The first English settlers landed here, but a year later the only trace of them was the word "Croatoan" scraped onto a tree.

Cheers!

I gotta say this area of the state is really, really interesting as far as the ecosystem/fauna goes. Enjoy your visit.

• North Carolina…Cape Fear...

• Houston

I think North Carolina as well..

Very cool pic of AJ

• That's a great shot of AJ! Do they have fruit cakes in NC? They do here in S.F. I spent some time there at Camp Lejeune training.

• First Basenji's

Is that my back yard? 🙂

• No clue without google info!! I LOVE the photo.

• Gotta be around Cape Fear, NC !

• Well I think it was Roanoke (not sure of the spelling) Island.

But Babe Ruth's first home run I believe was against the Yankees at the Polo Grounds in NY.

• Hey AJ Trebek, what's the answer??

• Love the color of your truck very, very nice and AJ your so handsome standing in that window.

Rita Jean

• The Mecklenburg Declaration of 1775 is said to be the first declaration of independence from England.

Walter Raleigh founded the first English colony on Roanoke Island. When a supply vessel with more settlers arrived a year later, the settlement and all residents had mysteriously disappeared without any trace except the word carved on the tree. There has been rampant speculation as to its meaning, but nobody really knows….

Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run at Fayetteville on 7 March, 1914. It was overlooked by many sports writers, even to this day. Perhaps because they didn't realize how wildly great at Baseball this man would become.

Robert DeNiro and Juliette Lewis starred together along with Nick Nolte in Cape Fear.

We were due south of Wilmington approximately 15-20 miles. And yes, the beach was very close.

You all are great!:)

Cheers

• I believe the Babe's first pro homer was in the Minors and that's where the confusion comes in. Polo Field was the first homer in the Majors. 'Course, back then, payment in Minors was by barter: "Here's a uniform and a hotdog. Go knock 'em dead, kid."

Mr. Nobarkus: You seem to have a fixation with regard to fruitcake. Is this something you have spoken with your therapist about? 😃

• Houston

I love it , keep it up..see you down the road..

• The picture of AJ standing in the window of the truck is amazing!
    What a masculine strong looking Basenji.

• That is so cool that AJ has his name on the door, and rightfully so! 🙂

• Houston

That is so cool that AJ has his name on the door, and rightfully so!

That's what I thought too, but forgot to mention it..really cool..

• Virginia? I think they settled there…..

• We were in North Carolina, Cape Fear area. Very pretty place.

There were some very early settlements in Virginia, most notably Jamestown, where John Smith met up with Powhattan and Pocahontas. However, Roanoke Island, NC was the first attempt.

Suggested Topics