Are Basenji's really destructive?

• Houston

@thunderbird8588:

We once heard him chewing behind the chair and when we investigated found him just starting on my mother in laws false teeth.

I almost peed on myself when I read that…I would've died if my dog was caught doing that...too funny

• @Basenjimamma:

, B's might tend to be more determined about their destruction,

Yes, I agree! My female just loves to push everything to the limit - and sometimes beyond!

• @Quercus:

This is something that I have NOT been able to retrain in my MOM!!! She comes in and sets all her various bags on the couch! Next to a dog! And then gets irritated when the dog snoots through her bag!! It's been ten years, Ma….they are always going to go through your bag!

As they say, some dogs you can't teach new tricks…gggg

• @thunderbird8588:

Your Shar Pei are gorgeous.
    Basenjis are a wonderfull breed and like has all ready been said a lot depends on the individual Dog.
    I think most Basenjis have a thing for plastic, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    Benji certainly couldn't resist plastic items and used to root through handbags to extract combs, glasses and pens, he would then run off and chew them up if not caught. We once heard him chewing behind the chair and when we investigated found him just starting on my mother in laws false teeth.
    He was a royal pain sometimes but i know i will have another someday.l

Thank you, I love my Pei-bys they are the easiest dogs in the world to live with. Apart from if they see a 'c..a..t' on a walk then they to are also royal pains and they have a thing for toilet paper, amont of times I have come home and thought…has it snowed inside my living room? But ya gotta love em 🙂

Benji eating the false teeth makes me laugh, what a thing to chew. I am picturing him with them perfectly placed in his mouth with a grin on his face! lol

• I definitely agree with Basenjimamma that destructiveness or not shouldn't put you off the breed. As she says all breeds may chew if bored and I would never recommend getting any dog if you aren't prepared to devote a lot of time to their interests so that boredom doesn't set in.

As I said some Basenjis do and some don't whether bored or not - you can never tell and so why worry? A friend has had many Basenjis over several years and never had items chewed!! Another has never had a Basenji who does not chew and she devotes all her energies into exercising, training (in obedience and agility), playing etc. so I'm sure that none of them have been bored. Then again as has been said, this could apply to several breeds.

• @dmcarty:

ok well let me tell you what can happen during bunny or squirrel watching - sometimes the basenji just HAS to get at it - they are very focused on their prey and purpose - different than Sharpei's. I have one old guy that I just put down and his first family gave me pics of what was left of the couch that he ate all the stuffing out of. I know someone else who had a hole dug through her carpet and into the wood subfloor because the dog had to get out of behind the door. through screens, and my personal favorite was my own foundation bitch who was as sweet as could be - but she loved to chew the top edges of kids jackets - one year I replaced 14 neighborhood jackets. 😞

It is not a myth and it so depends on the dog - and what they see and how strong their prey drive is. I think walking for a long time is a good idea - not sure 45 min is enough for a B. You need to be adaptable and I think until you are certain that all will get along and that the B won't eat your couch - crate training is a very good idea.

We have to keep our blinds closed upstairs as our bed is under the window so she can see dogs walk by. She goes nuts and was ripping the sheets up and even a hole in the mattress. We keep the blinds shut, but sometimes she still does it.

All dogs can be destructive though. A bored dog is a destructive one no matter what breed.

Our dogs are purposely destructive and it's usually when we are home to get attention.

• @Kananga:

He's too lazy to be destructive. Especially after 10 miles of walking this memorial day weekend. 😃
    [G]

Great picture of Kananga - 10 miles of walking? The dog might be tired, but they'd be burying me! No wonder he's a good dog. I'm jealous.:D

• Never had much of a problem with chewing with either of my dogs, but digging was a BIG problem with Katie. The den digging/nesting instinct is still strong with her. We have to watch her constantly. One little pin size hole with any fluff hanging out is an engraved invitation to her to un-stuff what ever she had "dug up". Couch cushions and bed comforters are the most at risk. Once she starts and appears to be having LOTS of fun, her brother Tyler has to join in:(

When Kate was young and still gated to the kitchen, dining room, and parlour areas, the DH and I made a short trip downtown (25 minutes) and came back to find the 25 pound bag of wild bird seed we left in the kitchen ripped open, strewn about the dining room, and serving as a Basenji wrestling ring mat. They were having GREAT fun:p

I guess what I'm saying is…..if it seems like fun to a Basenji, nothing is safe:D

Good news is, it made me a better house keeper! Nothing is left out that may tempt one, because the other will join in and soon make a small mess into a big disaster.:o

• Houston

@snorky998:

I guess what I'm saying is…..if it seems like fun to a Basenji, nothing is safe:D
    Nothing is left out that may tempt one, because the other will join in and soon make a small mess into a big disaster.:o

You hit the hammer on the nail. If it looks like fun…trouble. But then again my two non B's were the same way...mischievious (sp?)...

• yes my basenji just destroyed a framed picture from France, books and some other papers, and yes that was just today.

Suggested Topics