• As you might know the weather is breaking in the Midwest so Roo(basenji), Bonzo(Boston Terrier) and I finally get to go to the park on regular basis. During the winter months I did attempt to get the dogs to the park on many occasions but we cut our walks down to 3 miles from 6 miles per day.

We have been able do 3 miles in less than an hour. So for the past couple of weeks we have just been doing 3 miles. Yesterday we walked 3 miles in the rain and both dogs did fine.

Today we walked 4 miles in the morning and both Roo and Bonzo seemed to have a lot of energy left. So this afternoon, I met Miranda at the park after she got of work and we did another 3 miles.

When we got home, Roo was sitting up so he could be close to us but he could hardly keep his eyes open. In fact he was falling asleep in the sitting position and only waking up when he started to lean in one direction or another to catch himself from falling over. Roo is so tired that he did not even want lap time tonight.

So Miranda put Roo in his bed and covered him up with a blanket(its still about 57 degrees here). Now Roo is not moving at all. Even when we call his name just to wake him up we have to call his name several times but he just cracks his eyes about half way open for just a second, kinda gives us a dirty look, ignores us and goes back to sleep. Bonzo on the other hand is full of energy. We know Basenji's are tough little dogs but…......

Is my Basenji Broken????

ComicDom1

• I think maybe you should have eased into it instead of doubling the miles right away. While they are tough little dogs, even they need training. If I went out today from walking 3 miles a day and suddenly did a marathon-I would be a little tired and sore too!

• He is probably just a tired tired B. I took my B hiking the other day up our local mountain, and he slept on the couch for the rest of the day. While we were at the mountain he was FULL of energy, but once we got home he completely passed out. You'll just have to ease him into it more (as will I).

• Tillo always sleeps (or 'relaxes') in the house.. and I love it 😃
    Long walk in the morning, then back to bed. In the afternoon we cycle for an hour once every two days and afterwards when he's waiting for his dinner his eyes are already closing. 😃

If he went to the daycare he's also very tired.. They get to socialize, play and run for 2 hours + on a big field. Great ways to tire them out!

A tired basenji… 😃 😃

• I've never seen my B tired. Even after spending hours at the dog park. He has endless energy (yet has no trouble going to bed at night).

I'm hoping to change that when the weather gets warmer… 😃

• @ComicDom1:

…When we got home, Roo was sitting up so he could be close to us but he could hardly keep his eyes open. In fact he was falling asleep in the sitting position and only waking up when he started to lean in one direction or another to catch himself from falling over. Roo is so tired that he did not even want lap time tonight.

So Miranda put Roo in his bed and covered him up with a blanket(its still about 57 degrees here). Now Roo is not moving at all. Even when we call his name just to wake him up we have to call his name several times but he just cracks his eyes about half way open for just a second, kinda gives us a dirty look, ignores us and goes back to sleep. Bonzo on the other hand is full of energy. We know Basenji's are tough little dogs but...ComicDom1

Bella did this once when after we brought her home from the kennel when we came back from vacation. She must not have slept the entire time we we gone! It worried us, but she finally snapped back the next day. Needless to say we found another kennel and she has done better there!

• I haven't taken Gossy out for a long walk yet (it is still in the 30s and 40s here) - she'd much rather play in the yard chasing squirrels and bird shadows.
    But I did take my previous beasties on long walks and in spring they would get exceptionally tired on the first couple of walks as they weren't really yet in shape.
    I think that's what happened with yours - you just overdid it. As suggested, ease him into it.

• I doubt you "broke" your Basenji… LOL.... and mine used to do that after a day of lure coursing...gggg no matter what shape they were in

• My post was a weak attempt to funny. I hope no one is really taking me seriously. Last year we built up to 6 miles a day on a regular basis. That was 3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the evening. We finally topped out at 8 miles a day but that was too much for Miranda and Myself so we backed off to 6 miles a day.

We started walking our Basenji these distances for specific reasons.

1. As a puppy, it really helps their muscle and lung development
    2. A tired or very exercised puppy is more receptive to training
    3. I am Fat or heavier than I wanted to be so its weight control for me
    Last year I dropped 26 lbs just walking my dog in the park and improved my overall health
    4. Since Basenji Puppies are so full of energy when they are little exercising him
    allowed me to get some sleep. This is especially effective for new puppies because
    it does help them settle into their new family.

5. Traveling a distance is natural to dogs because it is a pack behavior.

6. Exercise builds Stamina

7. We have found like others that when you really exercise your Basenji puppy,
    it helps keep them from being destructive.

Roo really likes to go and so does our Boston. My Boston walk until she falls over so I have to be really careful when the weather starts to hit the upper 70's.

Although they say Basenji's drink less than other dogs, we make sure we always have plenty of water on hot days and water both our dogs in the middle and end of our walks.

Once again my post was a weak attempt to be funny. Roo is up and ready to go again and can hardly wait. All I have to do is say the word park and both dogs perk their ears up and dance in excitement.

ComicDom1
    Jason

• No worries!

• Still, I think it's normal for a dog to be 'tired' after a good walk. I just came back with Tillo from our cycling hour.. He eats, walks around for a while, finds a nice spot to clean himself and then starts a long nap 🙂
    Of course he also went to doggy daycare and had a long walk this morning.. I would be tired as well :eek:

If Tillo is walking around in the house fully awake, I always get the feeling he's bored, so then is the time to get his leash and start walking untill I know that there isn't much left of his boredom and energy. At least for the next couple of hours.. (and that's my time to do some schoolwork :D)

• @ComicDom1:

Although they say Basenji's drink less than other dogs, we make sure we always have plenty of water on hot days and water both our dogs in the middle and end of our walks.

ComicDom1
    Jason

I've noticed my puppy drinks a LOT of water. Every time she goes out to pee, she comes in and drinks twice what she let out, and every time she passes the water bowl she downs a bunch. When we're at the dog park she stops by every few minutes for a slurp or two. Is that unusual?

• It good that she is a good drinker….. I don't think it is unusual... not for a young baby puppy

• @ComicDom1:

As you might know the weather is breaking in the Midwest so Roo(basenji), Bonzo(Boston Terrier) and I finally get to go to the park on regular basis. During the winter months I did attempt to get the dogs to the park on many occasions but we cut our walks down to 3 miles from 6 miles per day.

We have been able do 3 miles in less than an hour. So for the past couple of weeks we have just been doing 3 miles. Yesterday we walked 3 miles in the rain and both dogs did fine.

Today we walked 4 miles in the morning and both Roo and Bonzo seemed to have a lot of energy left. So this afternoon, I met Miranda at the park after she got of work and we did another 3 miles.

When we got home, Roo was sitting up so he could be close to us but he could hardly keep his eyes open. In fact he was falling asleep in the sitting position and only waking up when he started to lean in one direction or another to catch himself from falling over. Roo is so tired that he did not even want lap time tonight.

So Miranda put Roo in his bed and covered him up with a blanket(its still about 57 degrees here). Now Roo is not moving at all. Even when we call his name just to wake him up we have to call his name several times but he just cracks his eyes about half way open for just a second, kinda gives us a dirty look, ignores us and goes back to sleep. Bonzo on the other hand is full of energy. We know Basenji's are tough little dogs but…......

Is my Basenji Broken????

ComicDom1

Good for you!!! That sounds so fun and healthy! I wish I had time to walk six miles a day! Ah…some day...

• Jason, when I read this I laughed.. I knew you were kidding about "breaking" your b.
    Good laugh for me!

• Since doing the 7 miles broken into two parts the previous day, we did 5 1/2 the next, and then a straight 6 miles in one shot yesterday. Even during the walks, sometimes its difficult to keep him focused at times because his prey drive is so strong. This is evidenced by the distraction of squirrels that run through the park, a flock of geese that reside there, and the collection of birds that have made this local park home. In addition Roo wants to meet every person and dog we encounter when walking. Even after walking 6 miles in one outing, Roo still seemed to have plenty of energy yesterday.

From my experiences with him, Roo gets very wound up after exercise and as soon as we hit the house he still wants to run and play. His 18' agility tunnel arrived yesterday and Miranda and I put it out in the hallway of our home and he ran back and forth through it right away. Only after we can get him to relax for a few minuites does he Zonk Out. Its almost like a small child doing everything they can for activity and attention so they can force themselves to stay awake in an attempt not miss anything that is going on

ComicDom1
    Jason

• Well, here's what you do to keep him focused:
    #1 Grab a fishing pole or long buggy whip
    #2 Grab said squirrel or goose.
    #3 Tie said squirrel or goose to the end
    #4 Watch the fun begin!

Just kidding, but what a sight that would be!

• @nomrbddgs:

Well, here's what you do to keep him focused:
    #1 Grab a fishing pole or long buggy whip
    #2 Grab said squirrel or goose.
    #3 Tie said squirrel or goose to the end
    #4 Watch the fun begin!

Just kidding, but what a sight that would be!

Actually we have a white trash back tied to a fishing pole. We have been playing in the front yard with this since Roo was a puppy. He loves to chase after it and we are hoping that it will help him transition to coursing when the opportunity arises.

We certainly can appreciate you comment in regard to the squirrel or goose. Sort of like them hanging and carrot on a stick in front of Donkey just out of their reach. I think prey drive is something that is going to very difficult to control in this dog.

Thanks for your comment.

ComicDom1
    Jason

• @ComicDom1:

…Only after we can get him to relax for a few minuites does he Zonk Out. Its almost like a small child doing everything they can for activity and attention so they can force themselves to stay awake in an attempt not miss anything that is going on...

My son used to do that… he would get hyper in the evenings when he was fighting off sleepiness. Now my daughter..er..um..basenji (Bella) does exactly the same thing!!!:eek:

• Instead of a plastic bag, which Gossy will eat if she catches part of it, I use an old fishing lure (minus the hooks of course).

Suggested Topics