• Yeah I know someone who works at a humance society near me. I just contacted her, and hopefully soon I will get a response.

• I just found out that The Ohio State University has puppy classes. Like nine days after I get him. I think this will be good, because OSU is one of the top vet programs in the country! 🙂

• Scratch that it started in January.

• Maybe they'll have another one when this one ends. I take it your mom finally relented about the classes.

• Nah just looking as of now. I always like to look at things with every view point.

• really training a basenji isn't like training any other dog.
    True puppy class is about helping your dog be social, but "training" well, its IMO different from training any other breeds.
    The EBC club has a manual, Basenji Owners Manual that is very helpful for the first time owner.
    I do believe its listed on this site.
    I would sure recommend it.

• @sharronhurlbut:

really training a basenji isn't like training any other dog.
    True puppy class is about helping your dog be social, but "training" well, its IMO different from training any other breeds.
    The EBC club has a manual, Basenji Owners Manual that is very helpful for the first time owner.
    I do believe its listed on this site.
    I would sure recommend it.

Yeah I have read up on some info about basenji's for awhile, and tomorrow I am going to Borders and buying Basenjis: Complete Pet Owners Manual. How do I order the Basenji Owners Manual? I found the website, but it does not direct you to ordering it.

• Basenji Owners Manual
    Start your puppy out right with the guide that every Basenji owner should have!

We took a couple dozen Basenji experts and fanciers and found out what they would like to see in an ideal guide. The result is this concise, yet thorough, 50-page illustrated book now in its fourth printing. Whether you are a novice or a seasoned Basenji owner, you will find this a valuable reference. The Basenji Owners Manual is used by many breeders as a cost-effective way to educate prospective Basenji owners — an educated owner is a happy one! Published by the Evergreen Basenji Club.

Topics include:

Introduction
    Socialization
    Training
    First Aid
    Health
    Grooming
    Show Training
    Breed Standard
    Discipline
    Obedience
    Activities
    Indexed & referenced
    …And much more

The EBC Basenji Owners Manual published by the Evergreen Basenji Club. Copies are $8.00 each plus $2.00 each copy for postage and handling. To order, send a check (US funds only please), payable to the Evergreen Basenji Club, for the desired number of copies to:

Basenji Owners Manual
    P.O. Box 1601
    Duvall, WA 98019-1601

If you have questions regarding ordering the manual, please contact: doopub@drizzle.com

Compiled by the Evergreen Basenji Club Program and Education Committee. All proceeds go to the operation of the Evergreen Basenji Club, a non-profit organization dedicated to the Basenji.

• I sent them an email thanks. I am not comfortable with sending check through mail, so I asked if there was another way of paying.

• I want to tell you that you do NOT get chances to 'do over' typically with this breed - it is very much easier to start right from the beginning than to try to redo or fix. Call it puppy socialization to your mom instead then she can work on some one-to-one stuff too. Anyone that has a basenji or any training center that has worked with them will tell you - this is a unique breed and they will not respond in a way you expect.

You have to decide though - to let your mother with her undersize poodle train this dog in spite of having no real experience - or believe us heck between tanzia and I alone I think there's 50 years of experience there - factore in Lisa and Robyn etc and we might even be over 100. I'm pretty sure we do know what we are talking about.

• And something else to consider - is your mom up to date with the latest training methods? Training has changed a LOT in the last 10 years or so. I'm always trying to get more info on training. I've put over 20 titles on one basenji and I'm still trying desparately to learn new/better ways of doing things for my 2 year old.

• @cuttiepie732:

I sent them an email thanks. I am not comfortable with sending check through mail, so I asked if there was another way of paying.

The Basenji Club of Southern Wisconsin has a book too. You can get it on their website and pay with Paypal if you are more comfortable with that. Similarly, I think it was developed with the help of people long-familiar with basenjis. I have not read the one that Sharron is recommending so I can't compare the two but the topics of discusion are similar. Go to online shopping to pay for it versus filling out the form. http://www.bcosw.org/

• In my opinion I would bring the pup to class . I have always said i regret not taken phoenix in when i got him {9mths} I did go to puppy class with Denver my r+w and it made a BIG, HUGE difference. Not to mention ur getting a Tri . I say instead of TRI standing for three colors {what it really means in basenji owners is .. TRY NOT TO LOSS UR MIND } LOL

• @phoenix3:

In my opinion I would bring the pup to class . I have always said i regret not taken phoenix in when i got him {9mths} I did go to puppy class with Denver my r+w and it made a BIG, HUGE difference. Not to mention ur getting a Tri . I say instead of TRI standing for three colors {what it really means in basenji owners is .. TRY NOT TO LOSS UR MIND } LOL

Haha that's funny. I am going to get the books, and my mom is up to date w training… I saw petsmart has training, and my friend did it and it worked out well. Also the humane society by me doesnt start until late march. that seems too late...

• Interesting thing about TRI's… ggg... I think the bitches are far more "tri-ing" then the boys... or maybe they are just smarter.... I always tell people that the "Girls have an agenda and the Boys don't have a clue"..... and that goes for all colors....

• @tanza:

Interesting thing about TRI's… ggg... I think the bitches are far more "tri-ing" then the boys... or maybe they are just smarter.... I always tell people that the "Girls have an agenda and the Boys don't have a clue"..... and that goes for all colors....

So basically I'm in for some 'fun' with a tri, and him being a boy? Lol

• I perused through the BCOSW site. If you click "breeders" you'll see many have websites. There is a wealth of info in them.

This one - http://www.arendahlbasenjis.com/basenjis.html has some critical information about safety - all very important points. Scrolling down, there are sights about Basenji health.

All good reading material for planning cuttipie732. It's fantastic that you're doing your homework - bringing home the puppy will be the final exam. Good luck!

• @Nemo:

The Basenji Club of Southern Wisconsin has a book too. You can get it on their website and pay with Paypal if you are more comfortable with that. Similarly, I think it was developed with the help of people long-familiar with basenjis. I have not read the one that Sharron is recommending so I can't compare the two but the topics of discusion are similar. Go to online shopping to pay for it versus filling out the form. http://www.bcosw.org/

I just went to it, and it sent me to a form. All I saw was that you could pay paypal for memberships… and other things, but not purchase books.

• @Duke:

I perused through the BCOSW site. If you click "breeders" you'll see many have websites. There is a wealth of info in them.

This one - http://www.arendahlbasenjis.com/basenjis.html has some critical information about safety - all very important points. Scrolling down, there are sights about Basenji health.

All good reading material for planning cuttipie732. It's fantastic that you're doing your homework - bringing home the puppy will be the final exam. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the info. I will definitely look into it. Also thank you for the compliment. I don't mind it, it's only more homework! Since I am a college student. lol

• Good news my mom is into getting him into puppy training. Talking to them now. 🙂

Suggested Topics