Does your Basenji go umph?

• Yes, my Jojo umphs. It seems like she is either bored and when she feels we "don't get it"…sometimes when she is sleepy I am petting her.

• @noobie:

I get all kinds of noises outta Noobie…umph....to crying mournfully ...to snoring. But what does a yodel sound like? LOL Maybe admin could give us an audio link? RECORD YOUR YODEL?

I found out what the yodel sounds like, I'm crate training Bindi and she yodels when I'm not in the room or the light is out and she can't see me
    it's really cute, but I still feel bad for doing it 😞 I'm working on it
    (she's a little gas maker too LOL)

~Kat

• Rocky loves to "umph", "ugh", sigh deeply and dramatically, make noises when he yawns, and yodel like he's from the Alps when we get home. Personally though, I love his "rubble-rubble" the best.

• I still can't get a baroo out of Chance. Is it odd that I wish he did? Maybee I will eat my words when he starts 🙂
    We get the old man weezies and eerrrs but nothing else except when its crate time. Then its screams for about 15 min. 😞

• Giz will umph and snore and sort of snore snort gruble if we move while he is getting his beauty sleep. He will also "talk" to me now. I have just started to get him to do that, it really sounds like he is trying to say something. 😃 He also yodels and boofs but he doesn't baroo.

• @Vanessa626:

Funny this topic came up again…just yesterday we were talking about how Chance makes sounds like he is an old man when he breathes. Anytime you move him it sounds like effort on his behalf. Does anyone else hear this too?????

Max also makes those sounds when you move him. If you just ask him to move he grunts looks at me and puts his head back down. He's so funny.

• If ya don't do what Magnum thinks should be done, you get a loud, quick exhale out through his nose, like he's disgusted with you. When you come home, you might, if you're lucky, get an ears-back roo (everybody who knows him seems to live for that sound). Then ya sometimes get what I call the frustration whine when he wants to get at something and can't (usually followed by the disgust exhale, 'cause you won't let him get at what he wants to get at). Then, of course, there's the "I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT" scream which startles everybody!

Barking aside, Magnum is the noisiest dog I've every had!

• Whoever decided to call this a "silent" breed obviously never lived with one!

While I love the fact that he doesn't bark (except when in the kennel to remind us that he's there… and then it's one lone "chuff!" every 5 minutes), I think he makes more noise that the cat and the Papillion who barks at everything combined!

• AAAAHHHHH! The screams, yodels, chortles, baroos, ooofs, ammammammm's! Silent? Not a chance!! When I groom and they know there's another dog in the house-let's just say I'm glad my neighbours are over an acre away on each side!!

• Yeah we get some noises of our B. The first noise we got from him was that famous umph. He does it when he finally has given up the fight (mostly when he's done being told not to nip). It's funny because he looks at us and then umps..like fine! Then we got his yodel but it's a deep yodul not like the one you see on T.V. The snoring is just too funny because he sleeps beside us in his bed, so I have my husband, who also snores to my right so I turn to my left and I have snoring there too. And sometimes he sleeps with his head in the air (just like a baby fighting to sleep) and then we hear snoring and his head bops (2 cute). Yesturday he let out what seemed a basenji bark cause I took too long to put my jacket on when we were gonna go for a walk. Something funny about our B though. When it's my husbands turn to walk him, you don't hear a peep out of Champ, but when it's me, he goes crazy and starts with the yoduling (Spoiled brat). This morning was a new one though, we got a grunt. See what happened was that he usually gets up at the first sign of life, which is usually at 5:00am and my husband takes him out, but when he comes in I'm still sleeping so since last week we've had Champ come into bed in the am so we can get a few more minutes of sleep and he seems to love laying with us. Well this morning we were so tired, we didn't even want to get up to put him on the bed. Well the boss decided to grunt after attempting to get our attention to be carried onto the bed…well he was too cute so he got his wish..I'm sure we'll be hearing my grunts now that he knows it works. I also thought that comment about the foofing was histerical because when my B gets gasy he does look around like who did that and does seem embarresed..silly boy..but wait I haven't heard this one before and it happens on the regular...how about the burping?My B burps everytime he drinks lots of water.

• @luzmery928:

..but wait I haven't heard this one before and it happens on the regular…how about the burping?My B burps everytime he drinks lots of water.

Our B- burps too. My husband callshim teh gas bomb. Rocky normally waits to burp after devouring a rawhide or licking the empty sour cream container clean. He'll just burp and lick his chops as if to say "man that was fantastic!" and then go take a nap.

What I would give for my dogs life!

• One of ours, the male will definitely give out an umph when he does not get his way. Usually accompanied by some sort of crazy foot shaking dance. It is so funny to see the similarities with other basenjis. Since we have never been around any others but our own, we just did not know.

• Yeah we've had CHamp for almost 2 months and we're getting all these new noises from him and more often. The grunt is my favorite cause he does this when he's desperate oh and of course the burp.

• Shadow just chokes and coughs when he drinks water. Sugar burps though, and she's really vocal as well.

• Does anyone else's B- "yip"? Rocky will utter one lone "arup!" when he's begging and thinks we've forgotten he's there.

• Yeah our B does this. Usually in the morning when he wants to lay in bed with us. We wait until he begs alittle just to hear him.

• Thank goodness! One of my friends (who's mother owned a B when she was littler) questioned how purebred my boy was because he "barked" in her presence. I told her one yip does not make a bark but she's not listening to me.

• my boyfriend is the same way, he thinks she barks, she doesn't bark, she makes a quick short yip-ish sound and thats that, no more till some other thing catches her attention she mostly does it at the cat, that's it

~Kat

• When Jazz is startled she'll make a quick "wup" noise, and it's always just one sound and that's it. I've only heard her do it three times in the two years we've had her.

• yeah people ask me so, he's the barkless dog, and I answer yeap but he makes other noises and I find myself trying to immitate the noises..yeah pretty funny.

Suggested Topics