• Hi!

My friend has lost her female Basenji (sister to mine) in the Cascade, Ada, Grand Rapids area. We have looked since Saturday the 26th now with no luck. Please keep your eyes and ears open for her. She may be shy when approached but will play chase or come for a treat. Her name is Mezza and she is a spayed female about 21 lbs, with typical extra-large basenji ears. There will be a reward for her return and NO QUESTIONS asked. Please take a peek at the link below and call with any information.

Jordan 616.633.7806

http://dogdetective.com/dog-details.cfm?dogid=993652

• May I cross post this to another basenji chat list? The more people know, the more likely she will be found.

Put up flyers all over, with her photo. They can be 3 miles away in a heartbeat, so go as far as you think she may have gone, then go another mile or so. Let all mail carriers (or other delivery people) in the area know, and keep searching, with other basenjis if you have them to help. It will show people what kind of dog you are looking for, and she may come to another dog and not to her humans, they get really spooky when they are lost.
    Put a notice in every paper or 'add flyer' and keep them there, I know of several dogs that were found after being out for a month. Enlist kids that are out of school and 'out and about' in the areal

Good luck, a lost basenji is a nightmare for us all.

Anne in Tampa

• Of course you may!! The more help the merrier. We have posted everywhere and on most lost dog websites and all the local papers. The really crappy part is that she was lost at my friends parents house, which is more out in the country, whereas Mezza is used to living in downtown GR. Our fear is that she could be anywhere in between. We are hoping if someone stole her they will give up and take her to the shelter.

Working hard on it 🙂

• Just posted to B-list. Good luck, at least it isn't the middle of winter!

Anne in Tampa

• I have posted to 2 other basenji chat lists, I got this reply today from a woman whose basenji escaped from a kennel while she was away. She came home to search,and the dog was lost for over a week but they finally got him back. Here is her comment:

Hello!

I got Luther back by putting 'posters' in mailboxes, at door, and especially at a local gas station/ministore.? This was a rural area.
    Luther was away for just over a week.
    Posters, posters, posters.
    Some newspapers will print a picture in their classified section. Luther's was very eyecatching.

• I thank everyone so much for their outpouring of compassion and concern for Mezza. I love her DEARLY and am eagerly awaiting her return. I've contacted all the vets in the area and enlisted countless friends to hang posters up to 25 miles away.

I'm hoping and praying for her safe return. Thank you again, so much.

Em and Mez

• Prayers for you that she comes back (in decent shape too).

• You've got prayers coming from Georgia! Good luck!

• Many people are aware and hoping for a safe return. Are you posting flyers all over, and in the paper? Get neighborhood kids involved too, and just stay out there, looking (preferably with another basenji). If she has been seen, try traps baited with her favorite foods (KFC h as been used successfully).

Very things are as frustrating as a lost basenji!

Anne in Tampa

• Hi All-

Mezza's mom, Emily, just called me and there was a sighting on Thursday. She was running around a youth camp near where she originally got lost. So Emily went out last night and put up what posters she could before leaving for China this morning. I may go out and look some today. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the prayers and suggestions!

-Jordan

• From another list, a woman who's basenji was recently lost for a week advised to add to posters and adds that people nearby should check garages and sheds, her dog was found hiding in someone's garage. Posters, and lots of people out looking, especially if you can take basenjis along to try and attract her. Lost dogs get totally freaked out and often won't come to their owners when called.
    Animal control may be able to supply you with live traps.
    Keep looking for her!
    Anne

• Any updates? We're keeping this guy in our thoughts.

• I hope Mezza comes home safe and quickly. You are in my thoughts.

• We are waiting for updates… and crossing our fingers and paws she is found.

• No word on Mezza yet, guys. Wish I had something to tell you. She was last seen about 20 miles from where she was lost, but we have not heard anything since. Will keep you posted.

• Send flyers to the post offices in the area, the folks driving the streets might see this b.
    Also, UPS.
    Most of us want to help find dogs who are lost.

• Don't give up hope; I thought one of my other dogs was dead earlier this year, (he's a deaf staffy); he was lost during the week of the blizzard… I said many prayers, and I live in a farming community, w/the help of a wonderful friend, and many prayers Jack made it home safely... a little thin, raw paw pads, but he came home alive (and yes the fence was fixed). I'll keep ya's in my prayers.

Suggested Topics