Skip to content

New BCOA Member

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Introducing a new puppy

    Moved Basenji Talk
    8
    5 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    S
    Oddly, my B does worse when off her turf when meeting new dogs, and is much better meeting them at home. I have to say that the only way my B was okay with a new dog was if the new dog was crated and she got to sniff and check out the new dog without it jumping all over her. Once I knew my B was okay with the new dog, I put both dogs on leashes in case one became aggressive, and let them out together in one room.
  • New pictures

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    ?
    What a sweetie. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • Two New Books for me!

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    9k Views
    R
    Reading is very good activity. It increase our knowledge and vocabulary. I suggest to some books like P.S. I love You, Piranha and Horror fairytale world. I hope you like it and enjoying reading.
  • Introducing a new Basenji into

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    jys1011J
    From what I understand…after reading a bit. Take the dogs for a long walk together...I mean REEEEAAALLY long. Have them get to know their territory & tire them out. Once tired & they've made the association that they are now part of your pack the meeting will go smoother (hopefully). Allow them to meet & greet but keep an eye out for signals...threatening behavior like lots of lip licking, growls, teeth, etc. if need be just get in between them & stay calm. They will now how to calm each other & they will know how to communicate with each other. GOOD LUCK & CONGRATS!!! :D
  • New to site

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    nala121498N
    Welcome…no breeding info. from me, but I'm certain you'll get lots of feedback and have fun with others who share your passion for Basenjis! I got mine from a NH breeder and we live in VT. Enjoy!
  • New dog???

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    QuercusQ
    The only thing I would be concerned about with a Dachshund would be the possiblity of it having some back damage with the rough play of a basenji…or even trying to do the same acrobatics that Bs do. I have known some folks who had a lot of problems with disk and spine problems with Doxies...but I don't know if that is typical. Something to think about though...