• @nathanyodavis

A bit confused. Five days ago you said due in 2 to 3 weeks. Breeders generally know within a few days either direction, not weeks early.

Can't wait to see pictures. 🙂

• @debradownsouth - My thoughts also Debradownsouth.... about the birth... that is really early for birth to take place.

• @debradownsouth I'm going purely from the 9-week timescale. If she caught the weekend the breeder had her mated then 9-weeks would mean the pups are due the first week of December 🙂 Could be before, could be a bit after. Dog is showing VERY much. My Mum is a breeder herself so I know the signs too.

Can't wait to share!

• @nathanyodavis

Of course one possibility hit me... she may be, like expectant human mothers, misleading about the due date so she isn't nagged to death... are they here yet? are they here yet? LOL... can't wait to see your pup.

• Congratulations! We found that - besides good info - among the important things are: patience, an open heart, a soft voice, clear boundaries, and above all a sense of humour. And you do realise that your life as you know it, will be over soon?

• Looking back to when I got my very first basenji, a pet, the one thing I remember is that she taught us to never let a basenji do something that you are going to disallow in the future. Of course not everything can be planned ahead.

I bough her a pig ear' to chomp, kept it in a lower kitchen cabinet. Not long after, I learned this was NOT a healthy treat so threw it away. Until the day she died, 10-12 years later, she'd sit by that cabinet and whine, until I opened it to show her there were no pig ears in there.
    EVERY DAY!!!!!!
    This was really no big deal, but I imagine if it had been a chair that she was not allowed on. They just do not forget. Anything.

• @kjdonkers I suppose as this normal life comes to an end, another one begins? 😉

We are feeling so many mixed emotions, but overall we are excited.

• @rugosa First of all I am super sorry for your loss. Secondly, thank you for the advice. I've read a lot about being so stern and not falling for the puppy behaviour. I'll definitely practice this as much as its preached. We want him to be his own dog, but at the same time we want him to be our dog too.

• @nathanyodavis Well, another life, yes, whether it's normal remains to be seen. Many, even dog lovers/owners, find basenjis strange creatures and the way they move around the house (as in couch, table, bed) difficult to appreciate. As long as you realise you have entered a universe where different laws apply and new possibilities arise around the corner every day, you'll be fine.

• @rugosa
    LOL on the pig ear.

But it's not just a basenji trait. One night it was storming and one of my rotts was fixated on one of the bedroom windows. I looked, there was a toad on the screen! The dog was so intense about wanting to get to it, my daughter went out in the rain and moved it from the window. From then until she died, day or night, I had to let her in the bedroom when it stormed to make sure the once-in-a-lifetime visitor wasn't there.

They think more than many people give them credit for.

Suggested Topics