Skip to content

Puppy scratching a lot especially face

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Puppy Heat

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    3k Views
    B
    much better!!!
  • Seeking a red and white puppy in France

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    8k Views
    ZandeZ
    While American breeders do indeed often rehome Basenjis once they have finished, ie. become a champion, this is far less prevalent in Europe. Post me privately - my email address is on my website listed in my signature block - and I will put you in touch with breeders for next winter's crop of puppies
  • How much puppy exercise?

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @condesa said in How much puppy exercise?: Thanks so much! Makes me feel better. And I got her from Nocturnal Kennels in NC. Are the sire/dam DNA tested for Fanconi and PRA? Did you check for yourself at www.ofa.org as DNA tests for Fanconi/PRA are public posted for the results. If not you should have your girl tested. It is a cheek swab that you do yourself. You can order it at www.ofa.org and the cost is 65.00 for each test (Fanconi & PRA)
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    14k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I think signalling is a great idea, although I have never used it. A friend taught her two Bichons to do it with a bell at the door. My dogs always let me know when they needed out. We had a regular routine, but if a potty break was needed at some other time, restless pacing and trotting toward the door was a pretty clear picture. Never a problem. Worst thing is the sound of a dog beginning to retch and jumping off the bed at 4 a.m. Seldom managed to get outside quick enough!
  • New Basenji!!

    Basenji Talk
    19
    3 Votes
    19 Posts
    17k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @rugosa LOL on the pig ear. But it's not just a basenji trait. One night it was storming and one of my rotts was fixated on one of the bedroom windows. I looked, there was a toad on the screen! The dog was so intense about wanting to get to it, my daughter went out in the rain and moved it from the window. From then until she died, day or night, I had to let her in the bedroom when it stormed to make sure the once-in-a-lifetime visitor wasn't there. They think more than many people give them credit for.
  • Puppy soft stools

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    C
    Glory has been with me almost two months - she is a little over 3 months old. I have switched her from a puppy food that was high in beef which she was eating when she came to us to a food that has chicken and vegetables. The soft stool doesn't bother her - there is never a sense of urgency to go - she only has a soft stool about twice maybe three times a day. She has gained almost 9 pounds since she came to us - she was very underweight and very young. Right now she weighs just under 16 pounds. We're doing stool testing every 2 weeks and except for the very first test, they are coming back O.K. I'm concerned that she may not be processing the nutrition from her food or that she will have chemical imbalances because of the loose stools. Am I worrying for nothing?