• hi, i found this site yesterday and just joined…i have a 13 week old basenji puppy named deoji of the jeodis (dog of the gods)...

i'm surprised to find that i talked to some of you when i was looking to buy a puppy and one of you also bought yours from the same breeder as me...(i think your name is etzbseder)...

well, i must go but will be back on to ask questions later...i don't get to get online much...having a 1 year old, 2 year old, and a basenji is keeping me pretty busy 🙂

• Welcome, lots of good help here with your dog and any issues you might have.

• Hello and welcome! I also have a baby B at home, he is 12 weeks now. I know how busy you are!! (accept for the one and two year old ;))

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your basenji!

• Welcome to the forum! Pictures please 🙂

• Welcome! Yeah - pixs!

• Welcome to the forum, try to stop in often and please post pics

• Welcome to the best Basenji resource on the planet! I hope you have a great experience with your pup. My first one taught my niece how to walk - she would grab a hold of her fur and stand up, then Bell would walk slowly around helping my niece to walk! Oh, and in case you didn't catch it in the previous posts, we love pictures (especially puppy pictures!)

• Welcome to the Forums.

If the parents of your puppy were not tested using the Linked Marker Test for Fanconi please be sure to have a blood sample collected and sent in to the U of Mo.

You will need to enroll your dog in the Canine Phenome Project, http://www.caninephenome.org/ There are instructions on the website about how to ship blood to the lab and a form to print out after you enroll to submit with the blood and your payment for the test.

• I would recommend the testing of your puppy, as I know that Phil, for some stupid reason, has decided not to test his dogs because of their prior health and that of their bloodlines. I am doing the testing on m own dog, and am just waiting for results.

• @lvoss:

Welcome to the Forums.

If the parents of your puppy were not tested using the Linked Marker Test for Fanconi please be sure to have a blood sample collected and sent in to the U of Mo.

You will need to enroll your dog in the Canine Phenome Project, http://www.caninephenome.org/ There are instructions on the website about how to ship blood to the lab and a form to print out after you enroll to submit with the blood and your payment for the test.

And as noted on other threads, you need to become familar with Basenji health concerns. Here is a link to the Basenji Club of America site health links.
    http://www.basenji.org/?q=node/17

Responsible breeders test their dogs before breeding…and do not breed for profit.

• Welcome to the forum - pictures when you get a chance - and visit whenever you can 🙂

• Welcome! Wow, you are brave to get a puppy when you have 2 babies, I can't even imagine what your days must be like! Lots of good information on this forum, and many nice people to talk to. Hope you can visit often.

• i couldn't figure out how to put a bunch of pictures on here…the only ones i got was my avatar and profile pic (and really they're the only good ones i have so far anyway...everytime i snap the shot he moves and they come out blurry)

thank you for the link for testing for fanconi...i'm going to do that here soon

i just took deoji to the vet for his second set of shots...one more and then i can take him to obedience classes and also see if there was anything for lure coursing around here

well the only troubles i'm having with him now are he plays too rough with with my aunts dog...i'm wondering if it's just a matter of his sharp puppy teeth or if it's cause the way he plays is so different from normal dogs...more feral.....have any of you had this problem?

also...what can i do about him begging for (or should i say stealing) food?....i've just been sticking him in his crate when we eat but i was hoping there was some way to train him on it. we tried puting a leash on him and making him stay in a corner but all he did was flip out...

thanks for the help

oh yeah...my puppy still hasn't made a sound...are any of yours completely silent ?

• Sharp puppy teeth and rough puppy play are normal for all dogs…. Doesn't your Aunt's dog try to put him in his place? Usually that is what happens... and if your Aunt's dog is letting him play rough, that is what he will keep doing...

You can start on OB now... and with two sets of shots you should be able to get him into a puppy class? That is the type of class that you would want to start with..... At home, start teaching him to sit/stay... that will go a long way to start on getting him to behave when you are eating, but there is nothing wrong with putting him in his crate when you eat... in fact, IMO.. one of the best things you can do.

Mine are certainly NOT completely silent?... he doesn't make any sounds? Even when playing? He has not whinned or cried? I would think that is very, very unusual?

• About the sounds: Mirtillo isn't making a lot of it either. We have heard one yodel-bark in two weeks. And of course some whining in his crate. But he is silent when he plays etc.

Mirtillo also plays rough with other dogs. They mostly correct him, but when there are other puppies involved, we are the ones that correct him.

And the begging/stealing… we keep an eye on him and when he is trying to steal anything, we spray him with water. Then he runs to his place and we tell him he is a good boy and give him a toy to play with. It's working pretty well.

• Fiji is very, very quiet most of the time. She does make a few little noises when she's yawning, and my husband tells me she talks a bit when I leave the house. But I almost never hear her make a sound - it's almost eerie. (But handy for city life and a dog that spends days in an office.)

• Welcome….here is a helpful link on the site for posting pictures. http://basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=259
    My Jack and Basenji both get to stay in their kennels while I eat. After I am done they get their food. It actualy is a good time for them to wind down as they know they will be rewarded for staying quietly in their rooms. I hope to see some good pics soon. But I know how hard it can be to keep a B still long enough to get a good shot. Luckily my Jack has taught me well how to deal with the active dogs already. 🙂

• @fountainhead:

i just took deoji to the vet for his second set of shots…one more and then i can take him to obedience classes and also see if there was anything for lure coursing around here

You should be able to start a puppy kindergarten class now that he has had two shots. Puppy kindergarten is a great because it will provide socialization and interaction with other puppies and help you to recognize appropriate play.

@fountainhead:

well the only troubles i'm having with him now are he plays too rough with with my aunts dog…i'm wondering if it's just a matter of his sharp puppy teeth or if it's cause the way he plays is so different from normal dogs...more feral.....have any of you had this problem?

In what way is he playing too rough? Puppies of all breeds play rough until they learn from the adult dogs what level of play is appropriate.

@fountainhead:

also…what can i do about him begging for (or should i say stealing) food?....i've just been sticking him in his crate when we eat but i was hoping there was some way to train him on it. we tried puting a leash on him and making him stay in a corner but all he did was flip out...

Having him go to his crate and enjoy quiet time while you eat or do other household chores is good training. If you do not want a crate you can use a mat but you will still need to work on making the place somewhere he wants to be. When you eat your dinner are you giving him his? How about stuffing a Kong with his dinner and using a little peanut butter to seal the end so it takes him a little longer to eat all his dinner so he is occupied while you eat. You can use the stuffed Kong on a mat but it will take time to build a good stay.

When he "flipped out", what did he do?

@fountainhead:

oh yeah…my puppy still hasn't made a sound...are any of yours completely silent ?

When he "flipped out" there was no noise at all? I would say if he has made no sounds at all, no whining, crying, no vocalization at all that would be out of the ordinary. If you mean he does not yodel, some never do. My 10 year has yodeled twice in his entire life and both times I think he was startled to find he could make that noise.

• Welcome! It is very likely that our pups are brothers. Our pup was born on 11/29/07…so if that is your pup's b-day then they are definately brothers 🙂 I hope you are having a great time with your new fur-baby. 🙂 We can't wait to pick ours up!

• Welcome to the forum!

Suggested Topics