• well, he has made a couple howls when he didn't feel like being in his cage…and we did hear what sounded like a little kid scream today when he yawned...no yodels though......he's like a ninja

and about him playing with my aunts dog...no, he doesn't ever put him in his place when he's to rough...the dogs a real push over and i did think that if he would just show him that he's annoyed then deoji would stop

well i think i'll just stick to putting him in the crate when we eat....last night he came from nowhere and stole my dads chicken while he was eating it...he is a hunter...it really was very smooth and swift how he leaped up and took it, i had to give him credit even though my dad was mad 🙂
    we're teaching him to sit, lay and stay but when anything is going on he's to distacted and if there's people food around, forget it...

chelbell- our pups aren't brothers...mine was born on dec 1st

thanks for all the advice....i'm going to do the peanut butter kong thing tomorrow, he'll love that

• How do you know that he is being too rough in his play? What behavior is he showing that you consider "too rough" for your aunt's dog?

• My little girl isn't Yodeling yet either. But as I remember from when my parents had Bs they really dont get that vocal until about 4 months(of course some never really do). All puppies are tough headed about when enough is enough. Hopefully with more time together your aunts dog will explain the bondaries of polite play. That can be one of the best things about having an adult dog around for the puppy to play with.

• I had one puppy who yodeled before it even opened its eyes. My most recent litter who come from vocal family on both sides yodeled frequently since they became mobile. They still are all quite the talkers. In my first litter the two boys were big talkers from very young, one girl began to talk at about 8 weeks and is now a big time talker with her mom and sister, they all chorus together. The one boy stopped talking almost completely and the other girl has always been relatively quiet.

• I find it interesting that the deaf basenji girl in EBC rescue does "talk" to her foster mom.
    Glad to see her lack of hearing doesn't keep her from expressing herself.
    I hope she gets her forever home soon.

• @fountainhead:

well the only troubles i'm having with him now are he plays too rough with with my aunts dog…i'm wondering if it's just a matter of his sharp puppy teeth or if it's cause the way he plays is so different from normal dogs...more feral.....have any of you had this problem?

also...what can i do about him begging for (or should i say stealing) food?....i've just been sticking him in his crate when we eat but i was hoping there was some way to train him on it. we tried puting a leash on him and making him stay in a corner but all he did was flip out...

thanks for the help

oh yeah...my puppy still hasn't made a sound...are any of yours completely silent ?

I have noticed that Basenjis do play rough. Keoki {1 yr} gets VERY rough with Jazzy {3 yrs} to the point where she will cry out. At that point I pull him off and tell him to "be easy" or "that's enough". I hold him by the face, looking into his eyes until he calms down a bit and then let him go. He is learning – usually now I can just tell him to "be easy" and he will ease up..... a bit.

Our Basenjis don't steal food from our plates if we are sitting there, and they don't typically beg if we are at the table. If we are having a snack on the couch they will -- Jazz will just put her head on our laps and stare. Keoki's manners are not as good, but he is close. As for stealing unguarded food...yeah, that'll happen. :rolleyes: To stop the begging we taught "Leave it", which to them means "leave it alone, whatever it is, it is not yours." They both ignore us once they are told "leave it" because they know they're not getting any.

Jazzy is completely silent --except when she is angry at the other dogs, then she can make all sorts of interesting noises, and she is LOUD.
    Keoki has yodeled once or twice, but that's about it. He doesn't growl near as often nor as loudly as Jazzy.

😞 I so wanted noisy Basenjis.

• None of our B's yodel. Our B/W that came with my husband into our marriage never made a sound he passed away a few years ago and we got two pups who are now 3 and 4 The 4yr old never has made a sound since coming to be with us.Only twice has a yodel slipped out and that was when he was hungry and food wasn't getting there fast enough. Our tri 3 yr old we heard yodel as a pup with her litter mates but since coming to live with us she has also only yodeled a few times Maybe because he is so silent she is too?? My daughters dogs yodel all the time and I love it, I so wanted to have singing dogs too

Suggested Topics