Departing with my girl some day??

• Hi,

I live in Northern California with my husband, a 6 year-old female Basenji, Rita, and two step-sons, one is already out of home.

Our concern is, as I posted in the forum, that we are often out of country. Also, eventually, we have to go back to our home country, Japan, probably in a couple years and it's so heart breaking to leave Rita with somebody.

But at the same time, having Rita go through 11-hour plane ride with baggage and stay at a quarantine office for three weeks (Japan is notorious with tardiness of the bureaucratic procedures. This is one of them.) is out of question.

So I decided to try to make friends in both virtual and real communities to come to know trusting Basenji lovers whom we can leave Rita with.

I'm also hoping that our experiences will help some other pet owners with the same concern.

RitaMom (Rita, 6-year old female Basenji)

• @RitaMom:

Hi,

I live in Northern California with my husband, a 6 year-old female Basenji, Rita, and two step-sons, one is already out of home.

Our concern is, as I posted in the forum, that we are often out of country. Also, eventually, we have to go back to our home country, Japan, probably in a couple years and it's so heart breaking to leave Rita with somebody.

But at the same time, having Rita go through 11-hour plane ride with baggage and stay at a quarantine office for three weeks (Japan is notorious with tardiness of the bureaucratic procedures. This is one of them.) is out of question.

So I decided to try to make friends in both virtual and real communities to come to know trusting Basenji lovers whom we can leave Rita with.

I'm also hoping that our experiences will help some other pet owners with the same concern.

RitaMom (Rita, 6-year old female Basenji)

Have you talked to your breeder about maybe taking Rita when you have to travel?

• Yes, I did, but our breeder’s health no longer allows them to be active in showing nor offering kennel services. I also called around other Basenji breeders in the area to get a recommendation of Basenji friendly boarding places, but Rita had a scuffle and was rejected to stay…
    I'm also trying to correct her occasional aggressiveness (which is fairly normal level as a Basenji, because we tried our best socializing her since she was a puppy) by going to a training session.

RitaMom

• have you talked to your vet for pet sitters? Sometimes the techs will stay for a charge.

• I live too far away to be of any help to you but I did want to clarify something. Are you just looking for someone to babysit your Rita while you take trips or are you looking for someone to babysit now and to eventually take Rita into their home permanently when you move back to Japan? When I read your message, that's what I thought you were saying. (But I could have read that into it because I have a brother who found new homes for his dogs rather than put them through a quarantine situation.)

Pat

• My intention of becoming a member is to know people virtually (and in real life) to find a new home for Rita in the future. (It won't happen for another couple years, though.)

Meanwhile, I am trying to find a dog sitter/sitters locally while we are out of country.

We aren't planning to have her go through long plane travel and a quarantine.

• Although, one thing… Hawaii is one of 11 locations which Japanese government designates as a non-rabies occurance location. But you have to stay in Hawaii for at least 8 months to be considered as eligible. This way, quarantine time only takes 13 hours.

Being a free-lancer, we can be anywhere, so I thought of staying in Hawaii for 8 months (not a bad place to stay that long, ha?) and then fly to Tokyo. But this way, it still involves 5.5 hours flight each from San Francisco to Hawaii, then from Hawaii to Tokyo.

Plus: Tokyo weather is harsher than Bay Area. It’s too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

So it’s better off for Rita to find a new home, although that’s, as you can imagine, very very very had to us.

RitaMom

• If you could stay in Hawaii for eight months the trip doesn't seem too bad. I have never had to fly a dog but 5.5 hours doesn't seem too bad. Most dogs stay in their crates longer than that in a day. I know thats not as stressjul as flying of course. As for the weather people all over this country have Bs that's a wide range of weather. Like I said I really don't know much about it. I'm sure you know more than I do about the travel thing.

• When my husband was in the military we did fly a dog to and from Germany and that was longer than the flight to Hawaii. Circumstances were such that we had to ship the dog separately from us. I think it might be even less stressful if the dog is on the same plane, even if the dog isn't able to actually be with you in the cabin. BTW, in our case, the flight to Germany went really well and someone had apparently even walked the dog because his crate was immaculate when we picked him up. The flight home….not so good. For some reason the dog freaked out during the trip and knocked teeth loose. Wish he could have told us what happened. We sure didn't get answers from anyone who could talk! The Hawaii solution sounds good! Hawaii used to have their own long quarantine period. Has that been done away with??

We almost didn't take our dog to Germany because of similar fears about the climate. We thought the adjustment from southeast Alabama (where we lived at the time) and Germany might be too great for an older, and arthritic, dog. He adjusted just fine and we put him in a sweater during the winter. They adapt better than we think they can.

Pat

• @RitaMom:

Although, one thing… Hawaii is one of 11 locations which Japanese government designates as a non-rabies occurance location. But you have to stay in Hawaii for at least 8 months to be considered as eligible. This way, quarantine time only takes 13 hours.

Being a free-lancer, we can be anywhere, so I thought of staying in Hawaii for 8 months (not a bad place to stay that long, ha?) and then fly to Tokyo. But this way, it still involves 5.5 hours flight each from San Francisco to Hawaii, then from Hawaii to Tokyo.

Plus: Tokyo weather is harsher than Bay Area. It’s too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

So it’s better off for Rita to find a new home, although that’s, as you can imagine, very very very had to us.

RitaMom

I don't know if I agree… the stress of maybe a long flight will pass.... never seeing her again??? tough choice... IMO And dogs/Basenjis get used to the weather, no different then us humans.... they adjust...

• I agree with Pat, basenjis and dogs in general, can and do adapt to changes in climate. Mine travel with me on road trips and plane trips, they have been to different states, different climates, camping, hotels, many different environments. They all take it in stride as long as my husband or I are there. That is what they really want, to be with us.

• Thank you all!! This is such an encouragement. More than anything else, by writing those posts and reading your answers, I realized how deeply I'm attached to Rita. Thinking about leaving her behind made me depressed to the level of numbness. Now, thinking of the possibility of living with her forever (I mean until her end) changes everything into different color. (When I listen to love songs, I first think of Rita. I’m in love with her that much, which I’m sure you understand. –or not.-)

Also, about the house sitter, a sushi chef couple of the sushi bar where we are a regular customer, may agree to stay at our house while we are gone.

(Last time, a waitress at the restaurant stayed at our house to take care of Rita. To her kindness, Rita responded by chewing up her underwear and bras.)

So we may be able to expect that Rita’s fur is shining and so are our Japanese knives, when we come home.

• Glad things are looking up!! Stay positive it will all work out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Here is so uselful information to help you take your girl with you

http://www.petrelocation.com/rules.php?countryId=53
    http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/ryoko/index.htm
    http://www.petrelocation.com/country_details.php?name=japan

I have traveled many times with my pets, my boxer is a world traveler and my basenji pup is 4 months an just made a trip from Germany to Oklahoma and back again with absolutley no problems (other than pee'd in his crate, but I expected it out of a 4 month pup and prepared for that).

Please feel free to ask any questions, I fly at least once a yr with my pets. Also since you said it'll be a little bit till you can go you'll have plenty of time to get the blood titer test.

• Here is so uselful information to help you take your girl with you

http://www.petrelocation.com/rules.php?countryId=53
    http://www.maff-aqs.go.jp/english/ryoko/index.htm
    http://www.petrelocation.com/country_details.php?name=japan

I have traveled many times with my pets, my boxer is a world traveler and my basenji pup is 4 months an just made a trip from Germany to Oklahoma and back again with absolutley no problems (other than pee'd in his crate, but I expected it out of a 4 month pup and prepared for that).

Please feel free to ask any questions, I fly at least once a yr with my pets. Also since you said it'll be a little bit till you can go you'll have plenty of time to get the blood titer test.

• I shipped my basenji to from San Francisco to Okinawa and back. She did fine. She couldn't go on the same plane so her breeder shipped her later. The only slight problem we had was that she didn't show up when she was supposed to on the return leg of the trip. I was practically camped out at the cargo place in Wichita, Kansas until I got her back. Luckily she was only delayed for a couple of hours. I think someone walked her too as there was no mess in the crate.

As for Hawaii and quarantine. Wonderful things have happened!! A friend of mine shipped a German shepherd there last year and as long as you have all the shots and exams in the exact order and at the exact times required there is NO quarantine at the state run facility any more!! The ag people check over the paperwork and send your dog home with you. Check out the Hawaii agriculture web site - there is probably some good info there.

• WBL and Kebasmom,

Looks like now the quarantine time is only 13-14 hours wherever we are flying from as long as we have the right documents. Thank you for the info. (Where have I been reading all these time??)

It’s nice to know that so many people are kind and supportive in this forum.

I’d like to develop more friendship here. Thank youall!

RitaMom

• Its always wonderful when you can keep a dog with the family she loves!

• Woo Hoo, glad we all could help

• I was born in Germany, and I can remember between tours to the US and then back to Germany (family was US Air Force) our dogs always did fine…even my nervous Collie was ok when we got her out of baggage in Denver from our flight from Germany.

Suggested Topics