Skip to content

A day of firsts…

Basenji Talk
  • Day three with Cricket:
    Cricket had her first walk with us. It was short, cold, and windy.
    She tried her first rabbit poop… she likes it...
    She killed her first stuffy. It was a fuzzy heart that had "Puppy Love" written on it.
    And she just outsmarted me with my own training technique.
    Yes, I have fallen prey to the old bait and switch. I was lying all cuddled up on couch with my trusty Kleenix (watching a sappy show). She approaches me with the carcus of her stuffy kill and big brown puppy eyes. I petted her, then grabbed her stuffy.

    She grabbed my kleenix and ran!

    I was completely duped! and she was SO proud of herself! :rolleyes:

  • Next Tuesday is my first day at a new job. I will be a municipal budget analyst, so I'm sure I'll be introduced to almost everybody from all of the departments. How do some of you handle "first days?" Should I thank my new boss for giving me the job? (HR gave me the job offer, so I haven't spoken with him since the interview) How would you word that? What are some good first day first impression tips?

  • ah well, get used to being outsmarted.

  • How funny…jepp they train us fast don't they?

  • HA! Kleenexes and paper towels are the Holy Grail to a basenji. They will resort to anything to get one.

  • I watched a show on TV a few days back, and this girl was addicted to eating toilet paper. I bet basenjis would love to meet her. :)

    (no disrespect intended to the girl).

  • Fran, are you sure she wasn't a Basenji in disguise!!!!!

Suggested Topics

  • First Week with our Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    10k Views
    MrBaRooampBittyM
    Good luck on getting a picture when she is still, if she is anything like our 2 she won't be still very muvh. Our Bitty does this thing, when she comes up on the bed at bedtime she will flop down facing directly away from us and then bend her head back mover her shoulder to look at us.
  • Two days until flight

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    tanzaT
    As a reference when we brought C-Me, Franie, and Trip home… that was three baby puppies (9 and 11 weeks) that we had to take out of their carrier, ggggg... and it was exciting to say the lest. But we did just fine!!! I do remember one time that when I was flying from NY to SFO, there was a person with a cat in a carrier that was not concerned at all that the cat was going to go through the xray... I did tell her that she needed to remove the cat, her response was "why"... my answer.. "and would you go through that?"
  • First snow and other firsts

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    L
    There's something invigorating about cold snow on little basenji toesies! My Abbey loved all the snow we had last winter (unusual for us) but she was terrified of the neighbors' snow man!!
  • First Kisses!

    Basenji Talk
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    6k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    So funny, Otis will do the same thing to my husband, and he hates it royally, so Otis will kiss him even more..
  • Tomorrow Is The Big Day

    Basenji Talk
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    6k Views
    hdolbowH
    sooo exciting! i was nervous for a month before we got mia!! :D good luck with everything!! i'm sure you'll let us all know how it goes!!
  • Doggie Day Care

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    VanessaV
    @jessi76: I used a dog daycare often when my dog was young, and still use it on occassion. I looked for the same things ChaseandZahrasmom's mentioned, but I also chose the one I use because it's the same place I train my dog. The staff in the daycare knew my dog from classes, they used the same training methods throughout the day (so it continually reinforced what we learned), and it was double fenced & gated… even inside. on my dog's first day he only had a human buddy all day. then on day 2 he got introduced to another dog, close in age/size/temperment. day 3 they added another friend. They kept a file listing his "friends" so the staff always knew what playgroup to put him in. They took special care during the cold months and rainy weather to keep him warm & dry. and they only crated for 1 hr during the work day. the place I use is $25/day, which to me and my budget is alot of money, but I also think it's a very fair price to pay for the quality of care my dog gets there, which is really most important. If you have multiple places to choose from in your area, I'd drop by un-announced, so you can see what a typical day is like. Showing up without an appointment sounds like a good idea. I didin't think about that. Thank you :)